Has my head gasket gone?

Associate
Hi,
I'm hoping this isn't worst case scenario, but I wanted any opinions on what this could be.. My 307cc 54 plate (64k miles) has been sounding rough for the last week or so, and I was going to take it in for a check up.

I opened the bonnet for a look and found oil marks on the right of my engine block.. I fear this is going to cost more to fix than the value of my car - should I be worried?

Thanks for any help guys

Soldato
Just looks like a bit of grime to me. If your head gasket was gone, you would have a creamy white substance under your oil filler cap.

Soldato
Is it looking coolant? Is the water temp rising?

You can't actually see the head gasket just by opening the bonnet. As others have said, what you're looking at there is most likely the rocker cover (silver thing) gasket that is leaking. That's nowhere near as destructive as a head gasket going. Either that or a pipe nearby is spewing out crap.

That might not be connected to the rough sound though. I'm guessing that you've checked the oil and coolant levels? Is it due a service any time soon?

Last edited:
Soldato
Opened page to see pic of Peugeot engine... Thought YEP, headgasket has gone :D

But no, sounds like you have a couple of small issues, one of which is simply an oil leak from the rocker cover. "They all do that Sir"
As long as it's not dripping the stuff on the ground, don't worry about it, it's called a "weep" not a leak ;)

The running rough bit is something else entirely, could be something as simple as a coil pack, spark plug or lambda sensor.
Get it in for a check up and go with the garages advice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Check your oil for mayo or chocolate milk looking sludge and coolant for oil. Are you getting steam from the exhaust? are you losing coolant? when the engine is hot are the coolant pipes rock hard due to being pressurized by exhaust gases?

I wouldn't jump straight to the conclusion that the head gasket is blown/head cracked without more investigation. Get a compression test done.

Soldato
Agreed, leaky cam cover. Nothing to worry about as long as it's not losing significant quantities of oil :)

Get some degreaser and clean it off, then monitor it over the next few weeks.

Soldato
I'd consider an outside bet on a leak from the part of the cam cover gasket the seals the sparkplug holes

If that leaks enough that can lead to a missfire

Associate
i have had a couple of the 2l lumps 138 or 180?? the hydrolic lifters get stuck.. its common problem some times and oil change solves it other times you need to get it apart to find the stuck 1 and replace it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies..doesn't sound so bad now (phew!). Further info, it's the 138bhp petrol engine and I checked the oil and coolant levels which are fine.

I'm not too savvy about checking pipes, but there weren't any adverse temps during a recent motorway drive.

It did get a major service five months ago, but I'll get it put into the garage tomorrow. Hopefully it is just the rocker that's at fault and a few spark plugs required. :)

I'll let you all know the outcome anyway! Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom