Spec me some essentials!

Associate
OP
Before anyone misunderstand this above, I expect he is using water straight from the tap, not boiling!

Don't forget the travel rug on the parcel shelf.

Yea, I did assume, boiling water is a quick way to a cracked screen! Just tap water can be a problem depending on how cold it actually is, as if you don't use enough, it can end up just freezing to the screen too, and you're even worse off.

and the fact that if you leave your lights on for example, and don't have enough power to use the pump, you need a manual one :)

If I couldn't start my engine because the battery was flat, I don't think I would be that bothered about my tyre pressures being a couple of PSI under what they should be :p

I picked up one of these when they had them for £20 but I'd happily pay £28 for it. http://www.wilko.com/car-maintenanc...igital/invt/0282990?VBMST=mini air compressor Seems quite accurate when I compared it to the mechanical gauge at my old workplace and the auto off feature is good for me as my mind tends to wander so it stops me ending up with 60 PSI tyres!

Oh and as for a scraper I always go for one with a rubber squeegee blade on it as that clears a heavy frost and I only use the plastic blade for ice.

I was thinking of something like that, auto off would be handy, but it depends how much of a premium you spend to get the option.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
and the fact that if you leave your lights on for example, and don't have enough power to use the pump, you need a manual one :)

As soon as the engine is running, the pump will work, and the flat is hardly an issue if you cant get the engine running :p

Soldato
kia were nice enough to provide a scraper in the drivers door card storage :) rubber bit had gone walkies though :(

as for wheel inflation, as said about usually just use the 20p machines at garages. or failing that I have a simple stirrup pump for my bike which I use and get a bit of exercise too ;)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This is ace, cost a couple of quid mind.

Is that a "set and leave" type pump? As per garage ones where you set the desired pressure and leave it to reach that on its own?

My compressor is getting quite old and you have to sit there watching the analogue needle move round until it reaches the desired pressure, then turn it off. The linked one looks rather good.

Caporegime
Is that a "set and leave" type pump? As per garage ones where you set the desired pressure and leave it to reach that on its own?

My compressor is getting quite old and you have to sit there watching the analogue needle move round until it reaches the desired pressure, then turn it off. The linked one looks rather good.

Yeah you set the pressure and it turns off once it reaches that pressure, seems fairly accurate too.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Cool:)

One thing that always annoys me about them is the length of the power cable, what use is the supplied 3m! once out of the boot (easiest power socket) thats not even long enough to trail round a tiny little 3-series, let alone a Range Rover sized vehicle.

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Electric tyre compressor comes in handy, I also keep a little LED torch in my glovebox permanently (thanks again to mrk for that) and an umbrella in the boot, very useful with the recent weather and when you realize you forgot your coat.

If you don't have a spare tyre then maybe some tyre weld? Never used any and it could be completely useless, but could be better than nothing.

Associate
If you don't have a spare tyre then maybe some tyre weld? Never used any and it could be completely useless, but could be better than nothing.

I'd just stick with breakdown cover. Quite often if a tyre is punctured and repairable a garage will refuse if it has been gunked up with tyre weld.

Imo its an absolute last resort if a recovery man wont come!

Soldato
just lookd on machine mart from the link provided... so jacks range from a few tenners to a good few hundred quid... but for the most past seem to be much of a muchness. Only real differences I can see(and would be interested in) are the jacks load limit and the min/max height it can transverse.

maybe also the speed at which you can achieve the max height? surely I'm missing something. all I can think of really is build quality but seeing as they are mostly the same brand you would think they should all be good quality? #justdontknowanymore

Associate
OP
I'd just stick with breakdown cover. Quite often if a tyre is punctured and repairable a garage will refuse if it has been gunked up with tyre weld.

Imo its an absolute last resort if a recovery man wont come!

That's what I was thinking, unless it's a particularly bad puncture, or the tyre's nearly out anyway, it's not worth the gunk.

just lookd on machine mart from the link provided... so jacks range from a few tenners to a good few hundred quid... but for the most past seem to be much of a muchness. Only real differences I can see(and would be interested in) are the jacks load limit and the min/max height it can transverse.

maybe also the speed at which you can achieve the max height? surely I'm missing something. all I can think of really is build quality but seeing as they are mostly the same brand you would think they should all be good quality? #justdontknowanymore

That's what's been confusing me. If they're by the same people, and have the required lifting weight/height, what makes the expensive ones any better?

Associate
I'm sure that some will be of a better construction & improved longevity.

I remember hearing a few people recommending the SGS range for value.

Another thing you could keep in the boot is a 1L container of engine oil in case you need to top it up. I have an ELF kit (OE spec) that velcros in a bag to the side of the boot.

Back
Top Bottom