Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo

Soldato
Aren't they all standards-essential patents that have to be licensed on fair terms and therefore of absolutely no use when it comes to trying to hold people over a barrel?

Google are not Apple. They have never wanted to use patents to hold other companies to ransom. They will still receive the licencing fees you mention above though.

Soldato
They won't have lost a penny when it's all said and done, the sale has led to a share price increase already, an ounce of pure gold will buy one google share, they'd already parted at least $6B off before this deal.

Soldato
I doubt they had $3bn in cash. Makes it a target for leveraged buy outs.

Yeah when google bought moto moto had 3+billion in cash and sellable hard assets, just seen it broken down, as is, without knowing the intricacies of the contract, Google are no more than 2 billion down but this move bought peace with all their oem's so even if it ends that they lost $2B they'll think it was cheap and money well spent.

Last edited:
Associate
If the patents are worth more than $7bn ($12bn originally paid for Motorola, less $2bn on the TV division, less the $3bn on this deal) then they haven't lost a penny.

Soldato
If the patents are worth more than $7bn ($12bn originally paid for Motorola, less $2bn on the TV division, less the $3bn on this deal) then they haven't lost a penny.

On cnbc this morning they put a value of about 2.5b for the patents after a similar breakdown to yours it was roughly negative 2b but it opens up loads of opportunities for synergies and the licensing income should see Google up on the deal.

See this thread for a couple of good related reads

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18576743

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think it's the right decision. Probably a factor from the start

They could have made some pretty amazing phones.. But it's not really Google
LiLike others said they are going in more exotic direction in terms of a grand ecosystems. Do they want to be weighted down making handsets and annoying Samsung etc?

I doubt it, they probably could have been successful but it's not them. They got the patents, sold the bulk physical side for cheap. They can take that cash hit. It's the IP they value

Would have done the same. Glad I didn't buy a moto phone :p

Soldato
There is a flip side to this. If companies feel they can't adequately protect the new things that they believe give them and edge in the market against their competitors they are much less likely to invest substantially in R&D so we end up with a stream of "same ol same ol". Google has been a target for a lot of this stuff because of it's disregard for other companies intellectual property. It's much easier to release a "free" operating system (for example, if you copy stuff which has cost other companies billions to research).

Having said that I think Patent law should be revised to have a relatively short life for protection (5, maybe 10 years after which I don't think you could claim its "innovative" any more) and there needs to be a clamp down on the blindingly obvious (Patenting a method of engaging a mechanical switch to activate an electrical charge creating the emission of photons, or turning the light switch).

Back
Top Bottom