• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade or wait?

Soldato
I currently have a 7850 which is pretty good but I'm contemplating an upgrade. I was thinking around £250 and was therefore looking at a R9 280x. However, when are the next range of graphics cards releasing?
If its worth the wait until the next lot of cards then I may as well wait, if not I'll probably go with a 280x.
Also, will a 280x be fine on my Corsair 500w PSU?

Associate
Not to sure on amd next release date but remember newly released GPU will cost a bit more,I would go for a 280x,which I did last week,absolute beast of a card,although be warned there is a lot of black screen issue,s with 280/290 recently, I myself have to return the 280x I got last week because of the black screen at boot issue,if you add another £30 I'd recommend the sapphire toxic,its the fastest 280x on the market with excellent cooler and high clocks out of the box,if not get he sapphire vapou r x,the toxic liitle brother,has dual bios,excellent cooler and oc well...

Associate
Any reason in particular you're looking to upgrade? (his-res monitor/120 or 144hz refresh), are you noticing the gpu struggle or just got that itch ;) .

Not sure about the psu question, some googling show people saying that it'l be fine on a 500w psu and the 750w thats stated is a bit of s stretch but not 100% sure on this myself

Associate
I recently bought a 280x as part of a new build starting with nothing and it has been awesome performance wise, not so much with the artifacting (probably requiring an RMA). If I could have waited for whatever the next £250~ price range AMD card with True Audio to come out I would have and if I was in your position I would personally wait.

Your PSU will be good enough as long as you aren't using a crazy amount of HDD's or planning to crossfire etc.

Soldato
OP
Just feel like an upgrade tbh, especially with GTA supposedly coming out soon.
First I've heard of these black screen problems, I'll probably just wait until the next lot of cards.

Back
Top Bottom