Xperia Z1 Compact... finally the holy grail for "normal sized" phone enthusiasts?

Associate
It'll come down in price over time. I moved to a SimO contract after 18 months so have 'saved' some money to put towards this.

My OneX only has about 2hrs screen on time now so I'm looking forward to a new handset.

Soldato
Out for delivery already, so assuming somebody is at home to sign for it, it should be there when I get home from work.

Has anybody got any recommendations for a QI charging mat? I'd like to get one for the office so that I don't have to remove the case to charge the phone.

Edit: delivered :D

Last edited:
Associate
Any news on Vodafone getting this?

Vodafone are normally later than most when announcing new phones but I think I read somewhere it is coming (soon).

CPW seem to have some good Vodafone deals available for the phone which is in stock, but I've no idea if anyone would recommend them for upgrading a contract?

I've never used them before.

MJ

MJ

Associate
Out for delivery already, so assuming somebody is at home to sign for it, it should be there when I get home from work.

Has anybody got any recommendations for a QI charging mat? I'd like to get one for the office so that I don't have to remove the case to charge the phone.

Edit: delivered :D

We need pictures!

Dang, I ordered mine on the 27th and I have had no despatch confirmation. Just my order confirmation. My yellow 1020 needs a lime companion. Has anybody else had a shipping confirmation?

Associate
2 Demo units turned up at work yesterday and actual retail units turned up today.

Feels nice in the hand and I can confirm the viewing angles are FAR better than the Z1, to my eye the colours are also more rich and vivid on the Compact too over the Z1.

Soldato
I've only had a couple of hours with which to have a play, but my impression so far is positive. Compared to the Acro S it's almost exactly the same size and weight, but it feels more solid - the squarer edges probably add to that impression. It's also incredibly responsive, much more so than the Acro S, which I suppose is to be expected given that the Acro S has only a dual core processor. I ran a quick benchmark in 3Dmark, and it scored 19227 on the Ice Storm Unlimited test, which is excellent. I'm also very impressed with the 4G and 5GHz 802.11n wireless. On 4G in my home in Croydon, I got 19.5 Mbps down and 17.82 Mbps up, and 60 Mbps down while connected wireless to my home internet connection.

My only disappointment is that the DK32 charging cradle isn't included, whereas the Acro S came with the relevant charging cradle. I suppose other manufacturers don't include charging cradles with their phones, but it's a bit of a downer. I'm not sure if I want to spend the £25 on the cradle when I can get a QI charging mat for half the price, but having gotten used to having one with the Acro S, I might just get one.

Edit: a quick comparison AnTuTu benchmark between the Z1 Compact on the left, and the Acro S on the right.

4d8d.png

Last edited:

MJ

MJ

Associate
Wow, thanks for posting. Looks pretty impressive.

Does it feel small in the hand? Coming from a 1020 and a 1520 before that I am concerned that it will feel like a cheap toy.

Also I did not even know that it had Qi wireless charging, I can't see it anywhere on the spec sheet on Sony's website.

If it does that is brilliant as I have a couple of Qi Nokia chargers.

Soldato
Wow, thanks for posting. Looks pretty impressive.

Does it feel small in the hand? Coming from a 1020 and a 1520 before that I am concerned that it will feel like a cheap toy.

Also I did not even know that it had Qi wireless charging, I can't see it anywhere on the spec sheet on Sony's website.

If it does that is brilliant as I have a couple of Qi Nokia chargers.
It feels good in the hand - unlike the Z1, I can reach the whole display with one hand. It also fits in my pocket without digging into my gut, which the Z1 would. To me, it feels like a more refined version of what I already had, so I feel very comfortable with it already.

Would a Nexus 7 charger be ok? Stupid policy, really is
Are you talking about the Qi charger? Given that Qi is a standard, I can't see any reason why the Nexus 7 Qi charger wouldn't work. I ordered a cheap Qi charger from the rainforest place for £15 but it's only 1A. I've also ordered a cheap plastic case from the eBay for £3, just to stop the back and sides from getting scratched.

I'm not planning on taking any photos of the phone, as there are hundreds of them of them online. I doubt anybody will be interested in seeing it compared to an Acro S, as nobody else has an Acro S.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom