Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Caporegime
Had two great mondays this week and last out on the skis.

Last Monday was great with blue skies and very light wind. Snow conditions were somewhat icy, but still perfectly skiiable. Skied along the northern corries then down Lurchers Gully.

Today I had a quick ski up and down Cairgorm itself. Snowline has receded quite a bit, but further up fresh snow has fallen making some quite nice conditions underfoot. The summit was frozen solid though!

:)

Great!
I wish when I loved in Scotland I did more ski touring. I do around 30-40 ski tours a year these days but only I'd one in 5 years intensive skiing while I was in Scotland. Would love to get back there with my gear in a good winter .

Associate
Anyone done the Keswick to Barrow walk annual charity walk?

https://keswick2barrow.co.uk/

Just signed up for this with a team from work and about to start training for it as not particularly fit at the moment - should have plenty of time to get some decent training in if I put a plan together and stick to it.

Aiming to cover the ~43 miles in around 10-11 hours.

Soldato
Am off to Peru in May with the GF for 16 days - doing the high Inca trail - cannot wait :D

Bought a new DSLR last weekend as my old one was bust and it's coming with! Hoping for some amazing vistas out there!

Man of Honour
I bet you cant, that trip is on my bucket list.
Please do show photos when you're back.

Going to get a tent which one would you get or perhaps recommend another?

http://sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html

http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

Lunar solo has more floor space, very similar weight or perhaps something else?

Also what water filter do you guys use. One which is safe with any water source and small and light.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm doing the Yorkshire Three Peaks in May this year. 25miles apparently in under 12hours so we'll see.

Did 14miles as a warm up last Friday from my house. Picked up the Pennie Bridleway from Whitworth road and over to Watergrove then on to Hollingworth lake. Need to get used to walking up hills I think.

Doing Snowdon on the 1st March as another warm up with walk in between.

Associate
I'm doing the Yorkshire Three Peaks in May this year. 25miles apparently in under 12hours so we'll see.

Did 14miles as a warm up last Friday from my house. Picked up the Pennie Bridleway from Whitworth road and over to Watergrove then on to Hollingworth lake. Need to get used to walking up hills I think.

Doing Snowdon on the 1st March as another warm up with walk in between.

Be a good idea to go do Pen-y-ghent and Ingleborough in one day as a nice warm up walk.. Whernside is more of a giant pile of dirt and best saved for the challenge :)

Plus you can stay over and sink a pint and a good meal before going home the next day. Love the countryside around that area and it's only roughly an hour + from Manchester..

Associate
Be a good idea to go do Pen-y-ghent and Ingleborough in one day as a nice warm up walk.. Whernside is more of a giant pile of dirt and best saved for the challenge :)

Plus you can stay over and sink a pint and a good meal before going home the next day. Love the countryside around that area and it's only roughly an hour + from Manchester..

Station Inn at Ribblehead station is a great place to camp. There's a nice flat area out back of the pub where anyone is free to wild camp. Puts you in great footing for smashing Whernside or Inglebrough in the morning.

...Top notch ale and food in the pub aswell

Man of Honour
Station Inn at Ribblehead station is a great place to camp. There's a nice flat area out back of the pub where anyone is free to wild camp. Puts you in great footing for smashing Whernside or Inglebrough in the morning.

...Top notch ale and food in the pub aswell

That's good to know. Being so close to properties, have they set up some toilets for use.

Associate
That's good to know. Being so close to properties, have they set up some toilets for use.

'fraid not, it's a case of going in the direction of the wind.

If you're wanting the luxury of a toilet then Holme Farm Campsite (I think that's what it's called) in the center of Horton-in-Ribblesdale is a proper back to roots campsite, think it works out about £8 a night if you've got a car, little cheaper if not.

There's a trainstation there though, and it sets you in good footing for Inglebrough or Penny!

Camped there last weekend, Smashed Inglebrough in the morning and dropped down the other side and ended up in the station then got the last train back to the campsite in Horton. Nice little trip like

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Campsite owner (Chris) is a right character, most nights stays up in his massive heated and furnished wall tent drinking and entertaining!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Its not wanting the luxury, but surly with being an official place, there must be hundreds of dug holes. On Google maps, there seems to be a fair few tents.

Associate
Its not wanting the luxury, but surly with being an official place, there must be hundreds of dug holes. On Google maps, there seems to be a fair few tents.

In summer there's always a few people out back, like I say, its wild camping so the usually rules go when you're round back. Couldn't recommend it enough, many a night spend round a fire watching steam trains come over the viaduct round back there.

Associate
Stayed a few times in the Bunk Barn at the Golden Lion pub in Horton in ribblesdale. Always been ok as we've passed through on the PW. Camp site is good though for summer..

Associate
You trying to get him blown off a ridge :)

On the plus side Crib Goch would be a good training day for the 3 peaks.. up down up down up down. Take a deep breath ....

Naaaah, it'll be fine :) Admittedly I've not done it under winter conditions yet but I did it around October time with a friend and running along the top when it was a little windy was pretty damn cool. Definitely one of the best ways of doing Snowdon IMO as it gets you off the tourist track!

Off to the Lakes on Saturday and then Scotland the week after so really looking forward to snoooow!

Anyone have recommendations for routes in the Lakes? I've got a bit of a ticklist already but most have quite a bit of snow on from what I've heard. Going with the girlfriend though who doesn't have crampons etc so may have to avoid the high stuff but I guess we'll see how it is when we get there.

Man of Honour
almost ready for a bit of wild camping, big box came today. already had the stove/mug and sleeping bag ( need to replace that at some point with something better), probably replace the travel tap at a latter point for something smaller, one of those bag systems looks good.

still need to get some small gas canisters, not sure where to pick them up from?
and a medical kit.

still want to replace my backpack, but cant afford it this month, so hopefully it'll all fit in the Osprey Kestrel backpack.

61v7.jpg

lots of titanium.

Lunar Solo LE 1
Lightweight Emergency Survival Bivy
Toilet Trowel
Carbon Pole for Lunar Solo
Silnet (MN41)
The Travel Tap
Fire Steel 2.0 (Scout)
Windproof Matches
Folding Spork
Ultralite Titanium Pegs (Pack of 6)

As well as Dartmoor explorer active map,, compass, thinsulate beanie.

Last edited:
Associate
Naaaah, it'll be fine :) Admittedly I've not done it under winter conditions yet but I did it around October time with a friend and running along the top when it was a little windy was pretty damn cool. Definitely one of the best ways of doing Snowdon IMO as it gets you off the tourist track!

People should never underestimate this ridge, enough people have fallen and died off it over the years on a regular basis. High winds, narrow slippy exposed rocks helping people off the edge for a free unwanted BASE jump. One thing I didn't realise is that mountain rescue get called out for people literally freezing because of fear ;)

Like yourself I've done it a few times and have no fear of heights so tend to skip along parts of it like a billy goat, while new people I've taken up are crawling along with 4 points of contact ;) I love the buzz but not everyone is as comfortable.

Thing is no one will know how they will be until they get up there and try it.. Either way it's worth a go and sure to brighten up your day..

Best to go with someone who's been up there before though..
Enjoy your snow wherever you may find it ;)

Associate
People should never underestimate this ridge, enough people have fallen and died off it over the years on a regular basis. High winds, narrow slippy exposed rocks helping people off the edge for a free unwanted BASE jump. One thing I didn't realise is that mountain rescue get called out for people literally freezing because of fear ;)

Like yourself I've done it a few times and have no fear of heights so tend to skip along parts of it like a billy goat, while new people I've taken up are crawling along with 4 points of contact ;) I love the buzz but not everyone is as comfortable.

Thing is no one will know how they will be until they get up there and try it.. Either way it's worth a go and sure to brighten up your day..

Best to go with someone who's been up there before though..
Enjoy your snow wherever you may find it ;)

Very true, there were quite a few people that were quite obviously petrified before even starting it and that was on the wide start part. It's definitely only for someone with at least half a head for heights but is an awesome ridge route for anyone that's ok with them.

Already packed for my 10 days away now, been too long since I've been to the Lakes and first walking trip in Scotland so really looking forward to it! :)

Back
Top Bottom