Show us your kitty cats

Caporegime
Flints spending loads of time outside, yet asks to come in (no cat flap), poops, and goes straight back outside again. How can I teach him that pooping outside would be preferred?

Soldato
Flints spending loads of time outside, yet asks to come in (no cat flap), poops, and goes straight back outside again. How can I teach him that pooping outside would be preferred?

Don't open the door? Hide the tray?

Edit: Don't do the above until someone more experienced than I can verify it's efficacy, please.

Caporegime

Let him in, take the cat litter tray outside and have him follow you, put it somewhere sensible in the garden out of the way. He should learn to poop outside, then try and walk him to the spot without the litter tray, might take a while for him to get used to it, he might point blank refuse, but he probably should be okay.

One of our cats got a really nasty foot cut that wouldn't heal and him being a **** he kept ripping off stitches and being a pain. In the end it was 2 weeks, caged, with a huge collar and heavily bandaged foot and pretty much a 24/7 watch on him as he was constantly trying to get the bandage off. They both got used to crapping inside during this period.

Took a while to get them to go outside again, used the method above. When they go for the litter tray take it outside, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Associate

Personally, I think its a good thing. It means you might be able to see if anything is wrong. Some bugs have no other symptoms than diarrhoea (TF and Giardia off the top of my head) or if you ever need to collect a sample from the vet your task will be a bit easier.

Caporegime
Personally, I think its a good thing. It means you might be able to see if anything is wrong. Some bugs have no other symptoms than diarrhoea (TF and Giardia off the top of my head) or if you ever need to collect a sample from the vet your task will be a bit easier.

I know what you mean, but I hate the smell of cat poop. Plus he tries to dig his way to Australia for 10 minutes before going which is really annoying.

Associate
I know what you mean, but I hate the smell of cat poop. Plus he tries to dig his way to Australia for 10 minutes before going which is really annoying.

I'm sure yours smells of roses! I don't love it either but I'd much rather tell if they had the runs or had blood in their poo. You could switch to raw, I believe there is very little smell with raw fed cats. What are you feeding him? Mine are on a no grain wet diet and it only smells for about a minute until they cover it up...

Covered litter trays also help.

Smell is generally part and parcel of owning a pet I'm afraid. Some cats prefer going indoors and like a previous poster said, what would you rather do if you were a cat?

Soldato
Jacob - baring all

rtFln84.jpg

thats a thousand memes just waiting to happen :)

Now a serious question for us kitty folk.

Since i first got Zoey almost 3 years ago she has always been a house cat, mostly because i live in an apartment and partly because shes as lazy as i am.

In the summer im moving into a new place, terraced house with a nice sized front and rear garden so im considering letting her go outside.

However im a bit paranoid about her getting lost in new surroundings, or worse being stupid enough to get hurt etc.

Shes generally a timid sort of cat, any time i have visitors for example shes very shy for 10 or 15 mins and normally goes and hides somewhere until she builds up the courage to show her face :)

Whats the opinions on the transition from being a house cat to a cat who likes to go exploring? Im not worried if she doesnt want to go outside, im just thinking when i move to the new place it would be nice to see how she reacts to the potential of some new sights, sounds and scents.

Last edited:
Soldato
In the summer im moving into a new place, terraced house with a nice sized front and rear garden so im considering letting her go outside.

However im a bit paranoid about her getting lost in new surroundings, or worse being stupid enough to get hurt etc.

Shes generally a timid sort of cat, any time i have visitors for example shes very shy for 10 or 15 mins and normally goes and hides somewhere until she builds up the courage to show her face :)

Whats the opinions on the transition from being a house cat to a cat who likes to go exploring? Im not worried if she doesnt want to go outside, im just thinking when i move to the new place it would be nice to see how she reacts to the potential of some new sights, sounds and scents.

My sister cat is mostly housebound.
However he does have a harness so when he's in the garden he doesn't wander off.

Associate
Our newest/youngest cat timmy is still full of surprises.

He isnt afraid of water unlike all other other cats we have had/still have, turn the kitchen tap on and he will jump up onto the bench and have his head under the running water trying to catch it.

This morning when i was in the shower - he snuck in and was in the shower with me. He was trying to catch the water drops etc, he was at one point standing under the entire shower spray trying to catch the water in his mouth. He soaked but it didnt bother him at all.

After i go our the shower he still sat watching the water droplets from the shower head drop and trying to catch them in his mouth.

Associate
This is our little man, Conan. He's an 8 month old silver shaded chinchilla persian. Had him from 12 weeks old. He's got a cheeky little personality, but his favourite pastime is chilling on our living room rug!

Conan1.jpg

Link

And another of him chilling at christmas:

Conan2.jpg

Link

Jim :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom