Shower won't turn on!

Soldato
Just moved into this place and the shower decided to switch off randomly. Now there's no light on the ceiling power switch and of course no light on the shower itself.

Here are my fuse things:
1391250987_img_20140201_103430.jpg

Is there anything there I can try? Behind the panels are just the fuses which look like they can be pulled out. It's almost like the shower switch has tripped but there is no switch.

Any ideas? Or just need a new shower?

Thanks

Associate
That fuse insert MCB on the lefthand side is tripped push the top button in to reset it and it should stay flush, but be aware:

1. It's probably tripped for a reason and if the shower doesn't heat up after resetting but lights on etc then the element has probably blown and that's what has caused it to trip.
  2. There may be an underlying problem causing it to trip so if its a regular occurance then get it looked at.

Soldato
OP
I have put a request in to get the thread move to Home & Garden :)

That fuse insert MCB on the lefthand side is tripped push the top button in to reset it and it should stay flush, but be aware:

1. It's probably tripped for a reason and if the shower doesn't heat up after resetting but lights on etc then the element has probably blown and that's what has caused it to trip.
  2. There may be an underlying problem causing it to trip so if its a regular occurance then get it looked at.

Genius! Thank you very much, that worked :D

Will keep an eye on it and let the landlord know if it keeps happening.

Last edited:
Associate
Behind those distinction board covers lurks what we in the electrical trade call in effective over current devices lol update your boards and get some rcd protection . Happy to quote you on changing your consumer units :()

Soldato
Same, I'm used to the ones you just flick up/down. Have never seen one like this before.

This is an older style, if a fuse is blown you have to locate which one it is. You can narrow it down my the different fuses powering different things for instance 5W powering something and so on.

We have one it's on top of a kitchen cupboard, it's fun trying to figure out which one has gone -_-

Associate
I'd suggest getting the fuse box(es) upgraded and merged into one 17th ed consumer unit. With RCD or RCBO protection.

If you have kids, even more of a reason to get the landlord to upgrade to be quite honest.

Do you know what Kw your shower is?

Associate
My initial thought is...get the landlord to send an electrician to upgrade your consumer unit and do a full safety check on the electrics. Did the landlord provide an electrical and gas safety certificate? If not i'd tell him to get them sorted and tested ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom