How quiet is your pc? Test & show us your results!

Soldato
Hello there,

Today iv got a huge headache, and im very sensetive to sound, and i was just thinking how loud is my pc? i don't usually notice it much but today i can hear it.

So what iv done, and what you can do to show us your results is to take your smart phone, download any free "decibel meter" app (i use a app called Decibels for iphone).

Place your phone on your desk Directly infront of where you are sitting, between you and the keyboard and with the Bottom of the phone (mic) facing towards your computer case.

My readings are

PC off (NO power) 36db

PC on (Idle on my desktop) 40db

Gaming (Speakers muted of course) 42db

Also worth noteing that i don't use any automatic fan controlls, everything is set to run at lowest speed via my fan controller manually, even my gpu fan is never audiable and it never goes higher than 75c especially this time of year.

Which means that the extra 2db whilst gaming, is down to.... Coil whine, thats the only thing i ever notice that sounds louder on my pc, but when your focused on a game, it doesn't bother me.

Hope to see your results so i have something to compair mine to,
let me know how you get on :)

Ken

Ken

Associate
Good idea :)

I used Soundmeter on my Galaxy SIII

PC off - 28dB
PC on - 31dB
Gaming - 31dB

Out of interest I unplugged my 2 hard drives leaving only my SSD and got 29dB.

Although the app doesn't indicate a huge variance I hate the noise of my hard drives and will be getting the 840 Evo 750GB when funds allow.

Please bare in mind the central heating is off. I never use it even in winter. Also the Asus 670 does spin up a tad but not enough for the meter to pick up as again it's probably cool enough since the heating is off.

I do love silent computing but not there yet until I go all SSD.

Total of 5 Noctua fans including CPU hooked up to a Bitfenix Recon on lowest setting and Enermax Platimax PSU.

Soldato
PC off - 40dB
PC on (idle) - 48dB
PC on (full load) - 50dB

I suspect most the noise from my PC comes from the three HDDs.

Case is a Silverstone Fortress FT02 with the stock golf ball top fan replaced with an Akasa Apache, and a Megahalems with a single Akasa Apache. 3 x WD 1TB Caviar Blues, , a reference GTX680 & Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1000W PSU.

Ken

Ken

Associate
Presume you are the opposite of bare right now then ;)
Haha, right now I have 2 joggers and 2 hoodies on. Sometimes I wear 3 hoodies if it's colder. I've lost 6 stone over the years so the hoodies fit over each other nicely. Save on bills that's for sure. The only time heating comes on is when the hot water is on for about an hour just to keep those pipes from bursting.

Soldato
I played, but it's harder for me since there are 2 PC's in this room and a fridge.

Room noise = 34dB
PC off = 32dB

So I can only conclude my PC is so quiet it's barely audible. Corsair 750D, 4 fans and a GTX 780.

Caporegime
Off, 30db
On, 31db
Gaming, 34db

Im running with 1200 rpm fans in the case and on the cooler, all ran via PWM splitter cables so noise is extremely low, particularly at idle where the fans are set at 430 rpm. 800 rpm ono when gaming.

Back
Top Bottom