Rumour: New Xbox One model this year

Caporegime
Yes it does make sense:
Physical games are always cheaper.
You can trade them in to offset the cost of a new game(which games them even cheaper)
Not everybody has internet fast enough to regularly download the massive game files.
Most ISP still have some sort of data limit and downloading just 2 games could put people over that limit.
It can take hours to download a game, whereas ordering online means you only have to wait for the postman if you pre-order a game. And then sometimes you'll get games a day early.

So physical copies make MORE sense than digital at this moment in time.

To illustrate the price of digital games - Dead Rising 3 is £49.99 on the Xbox store but I can get it for £38.95 online.

Well thats Xbox raping its customers
If you have a ISP with a data limit then you are a noob :p
Disks get damaged.
Dead rising is 25GB I could download this on 8mb quicker than ordering it online and waiting in for the postman to turn up.;)
Its environmentally more friendly (less packaging)
Its more convenient as I don't have to get up and put a disk in a console
I see no reason why games could not be traded in or released from accounts online.

So yeah there is an arguement for both...sides but my reasons win based on customer satisfaction rather than excuses to be taking for a mug:p

Soldato
Well thats Xbox raping its customers
If you have a ISP with a data limit then you are a noob :p
Disks get damaged.
Dead rising is 25GB I could download this on 8mb quicker than ordering it online and waiting in for the postman to turn up.;)
Its more convenient as I don't have to get up and put a disk in a console
I see no reason why games could not be traded in or released from accounts online.

So yeah there is an arguement for both...sides but my reasons win based on customer satisfaction rather than excuses to be taking for a mug:p

I don't think a good financial raping satisfies customers.
Digital IS the better solution, but only if the games can be traded. I don't think ms will allow that unless Sony do. Perhaps a small transfer fee could go towards devs & ms. Still, i don't they would be keen on the idea.

Ultimately I think there should legislation that requires companies to enable the same freedoms in the digital world as the real-world.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well thats Xbox raping its customers And this is something that won't change soon.
If you have a ISP with a data limit then you are a noob :p Some people might not have a choice if a decent ISP.
Disks get damaged. As could a hard drive :p
Dead rising is 25GB I could download this on 8mb quicker than ordering it online and waiting in for the postman to turn up.;) I can walk to my local game shop and back in 20 mins
Its more convenient as I don't have to get up and put a disk in a console I'm sure that 10 seconds won't impact much on your plans for the day ;)
I see no reason why games could not be traded in or released from accounts online. If that actually happens then I'd be more tempted with digital games.

So yeah there is an arguement for both...sides but my reasons win based on customer satisfaction rather than excuses to be taking for a mug:p A customer will be never be happy with paying £10-15 more for a product. And buying just digital games IS being taken for a mug :p

Soldato
OP
As could a hard drive
A hard drive could fail, but surely not get damaged?

I can walk to my local game shop and back in 20 mins
We don't all live within 20 minutes of a retail outlet.

I'm sure that 10 seconds won't impact much on your plans for the day
If you can get up of the sofa, go get your disc, open and insert it, wait for it to spin up and load the game in ten seconds I'll eat your hat, and your shorts...

A customer will be never be happy with paying £10-15 more for a product. And buying just digital games IS being taken for a mug
BUT, if they buy a XB1 without a disc drive then they know exactly what they're getting themselves into, nobody is taking them for a mug except for themselves. And talking of mugs, you shop at game (as above), cough ;)

:)

Soldato
A hard drive could fail, but surely not get damaged?

The end result is the same. Either the disk doesn't work or the hard drive doesn't work. The Plus side of digital is in the vast majority of cases you should be able to re-download, but will likely take a long time. The replacement cost of the hdd isn't super cheap and is very hard for the consumer to replace in XB1, piece of cake though in PS4. On the plus side of discs, it relatively simple, fast and cost effective to get them repaired (unless you snap it in half or something). By the time the disc is likely to become damaged, you could probably pick one up off the bay for next to nothing anyway.

We don't all live within 20 minutes of a retail outlet.
The vast majority of the population live fairly close to a supermarket.

If you can get up of the sofa, go get your disc, open and insert it, wait for it to spin up and load the game in ten seconds I'll eat your hat, and your shorts...

The time spent changing a disk really isn't a big deal, in fact it probably does the lazy gits some good.

BUT, if they buy a XB1 without a disc drive then they know exactly what they're getting themselves into, nobody is taking them for a mug except for themselves. And talking of mugs, you shop at game (as above), cough ;)

Unfortunately if there are enough mugs, ms/sony will have the power to insist it's their way or the highway, at which point anyone wanting to game has no choice but to enter into mug status. It will happen eventually, I imagine the Xbox 1080 will be disc-less. Sony may keep disk drives though, as bluray is kind of their thing. Perhaps the PS5 might still use a disc for 4k media/games.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Perhaps not - Steam on PC has already established there's a substantial audience of people prepared to buy digital with the full knowledge you can't later resell. Not sure I think it's a good idea but clearly there's a market that does.

Yes there is however games are a hell of a lot cheaper on steam, For £20 I dont mind taking a chance and if the games no good then hey,its in my collection. If I pay £50 for a console game and it sucks I can get at least half that back from trading it in but I would not take that risk if it was digital unless they drop those prices sharpish

Soldato
OP
The end result is the same. Either the disk doesn't work or the hard drive doesn't work. The Plus side of digital is in the vast majority of cases you should be able to re-download, but will likely take a long time. The replacement cost of the hdd isn't super cheap and is very hard for the consumer to replace in XB1, piece of cake though in PS4. On the plus side of discs, it relatively simple, fast and cost effective to get them repaired (unless you snap it in half or something). By the time the disc is likely to become damaged, you could probably pick one up off the bay for next to nothing anyway.

The vast majority of the population live fairly close to a supermarket.

The time spent changing a disk really isn't a big deal, in fact it probably does the lazy gits some good.

Unfortunately if there are enough mugs, ms/sony will have the power to insist it's their way or the highway, at which point anyone wanting to game has no choice but to enter into mug status. It will happen eventually, I imagine the Xbox 1080 will be disc-less. Sony may keep disk drives though, as bluray is kind of their thing. Perhaps the PS5 might still use a disc for 4k media/games.
To be honest, I wasn't really being serious :)

Soldato
OP
I came on just now was to say that after some thought, it seemed that as MS tout the XB1 as the all-in-one media centre and that you don't need anything else, removing the disc drive would surely contradict that stance. You can't have a media center without a physical drive. Looks like that is the case then, thanks for the link.

Perhaps Kinect is off the cards afterall?

Last edited:
Soldato

And talking of mugs, you shop at game (as above), cough ;)

My PS4/360 is about 5 foot away. It won't take me much more than 10 seconds to change the disc. It won't certainly won't take so long that I consider it an inconvenience.

It's not a GAME* store, it's a local independent shop. Usually gets games in 1 or 2 days early.

Unfortunately if there are enough mugs, ms/sony will have the power to insist it's their way or the highway, at which point anyone wanting to game has no choice but to enter into mug status.

When that does eventually happen I can't see console manufacturers offering us a nice games market like steam or something. We'll just end up paying loads for games with no choice in the matter.

Caporegime
it's pretty simple really isn't it, if you find changing discs an inconvenience then pay an extra £10-£20 for the digital copy of the game.

personally i don't really have a huge games catalogue and one of the games i play the most is war thunder so i don't need to change discs as i usually have the two games i want to play already in the system but should i want to take BF4 out for fifa it's a simple swap and it's not as if i'm pulling hard drives out and changing them.

how often do you swap discs anyway? at max like once an hour, there's no way you only play a game for like 20 mins then take it out and put another in and play that for 20 mins then take that out and put another in. me personally i swap discs probably once a day or something so it's not really an inconvenience.

Associate
I reckon a more focussed (no kinect etc) Xbox would flop, console vs console the PS4 seems to clinch it but I love my X1 with the TV integration, voice controlled netflix etc... The selling point of the Xbox is the all-in-one-ness don't you think?

Soldato
Indeed, it can only get better as and when it integrates with Sky/Virgin/BT/Freeview in the UK. Be good to see a deal done with the FA or FIFA (or even better F1!!!! *please!*) similar to the NFL in the US.

Maybe not of interest to hardcore gamers in their bedroom but could have huge appeal to a wider market if they get it right.

Associate
I was a 360 fanboy and I was sure when announced I would be sticking with Xbox. I can't ignore the power difference though, even at this early stage. I think one of the determining factors people use when buying a console is what most of there mates have. Unfortunately, most of mine have xbones :D

That's exactly the situation I was in, but went ps4 carn't ignore its a better console.

Soldato
OP
I reckon a more focussed (no kinect etc) Xbox would flop, console vs console the PS4 seems to clinch it but I love my X1 with the TV integration, voice controlled netflix etc... The selling point of the Xbox is the all-in-one-ness don't you think?
But it's the voice control that puts many people off, which is why they don't want Kinect. Did MS ever think that some of us may have babies/kids sleeping nearby when we're shouting at the TV in the middle of the night? Yes I have used the XB1 without voice and imo it's slow to navigate, clunky and you have seem to have to go all over the place trying to find things.

This is why I will only consider one without Kinect if they clean everything up and make it more fluid to navigate.

Soldato
you can pick up digital xbox one titles on ebay cheaper than the official store as in certain countries free ryse/fifa/dr3/forza5 codes got packed in and people sell them from time to time. I've paid less than £40 for all those by buying digital cards from all over europe. Couldnt find NFS so switched the xbox to Americans store to purchase (make sure to turn on your american proxy server so they cant ban you later as you can just say you bought on holiday)

Caporegime
Indeed, it can only get better as and when it integrates with Sky/Virgin/BT/Freeview in the UK. Be good to see a deal done with the FA or FIFA (or even better F1!!!! *please!*) similar to the NFL in the US.

Maybe not of interest to hardcore gamers in their bedroom but could have huge appeal to a wider market if they get it right.

Personally I see that as a bad thing tbh.

Having a console constantly on for recording shows, watching tv and gaming means additional wear and tear and MS have made possibly the worst console in history in terms of life expectancy (the 360).

I personally would rather that my sky+ HD box does everything for me and that I use my console for gaming only. I bought my HD box off gumtree for £25 including a wireless connector (which is £20 rrp on it's own). So i don't care if my box dies after a few years but I would be miffed if my console did after a few years as it would cost hundreds to fix/replace.

Also dedicated items are usually better than all in one's the best example here would be smartphones, yes you can take pictures with them and that integration is good but you wouldn't use a smartphone to take your wedding photo's, etc.

Rather than trying to be good at everything and failing to deliver, they should have focused on being brilliant at one thing like sony did and purely focus on gaming.

Back
Top Bottom