Xperia Z1 Compact... finally the holy grail for "normal sized" phone enthusiasts?

Caporegime
OP
Superior Auto could have better oversampling* but without OIS current gen 1.1um pixel based phones are always going produce rubbishy looking images in low light.
Great for pixel peeping reviews/marketing but pants in many normal scenarios. Luckily a few OEMs haven't entered the MP war that blighted the point and shoot class a while back.

I'd kill for a Sony/Nokia with a 5MP 1/2.3"+ sensor. :) If your 'night out' photos are hugely important then something with large pixels or OIS might be much more suitable.

*The leaked Z2 low light sample shots look a bit better, hopefully most of that comes from software over hardware tweaks. Then you've got to hope Sony fully implement it on the compact.

It has nothing to do with OIS. The photos I took with my SIII were in another league, and that doesn't have OIS. It's about how the camera take a raw image and then processes the final result. On paper the Sony camera is the better snapper, so for it to be considerably worse than the SIII in practise is just not on.

And despite my camera misgivings I wouldn't change this phone for the world, in every other regard it's perfect.

Last edited:

MJ

MJ

Associate
Mine came today!

I got the lime one, and to be honest its not lime, It's yellow which is what I wanted. Fist impressions are good, nice screen and very fast. I installed the screen protector which came with it, strange it only comes for one for the front. Going to order a couple of sets on eBay.

Regarding the camera, I'm actually pleasantly surprised. I have done a few comparisons with my 1020 and it is very good. Post processing is aggressive but not as bad as some of the sample shots I have seen online.

Just an FYI for everybody else. I am placing my z1 compact on top of my qi nokia charger and it does nothing. The charger is flashing but does not start charging.

Caporegime
OP
Mine came today!

I got the lime one, and to be honest its not lime, It's yellow which is what I wanted. Fist impressions are good, nice screen and very fast. I installed the screen protector which came with it, strange it only comes for one for the front. Going to order a couple of sets on eBay.

Regarding the camera, I'm actually pleasantly surprised. I have done a few comparisons with my 1020 and it is very good. Post processing is aggressive but not as bad as some of the sample shots I have seen online.

Just an FYI for everybody else. I am placing my z1 compact on top of my qi nokia charger and it does nothing. The charger is flashing but does not start charging.

Hmm interesting... is it the QI standard, or a nokia specific one?

MJ

MJ

Associate
Both have QI underneath. Nokia output .75AH, nexus 1.0AH. Both nothing, trying to find info online and nowhere on the official spec sheet does it mention Qi wireless charging, as far as I can see anyway.

Caporegime
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
It has nothing to do with OIS. The photos I took with my SIII were in another league, and that doesn't have OIS. It's about how the camera take a raw image and then processes the final result. On paper the Sony camera is the better snapper, so for it to be considerably worse than the SIII in practise is just not on.

All phones that use tiny 1.1um pixels when pushing high ISO produce very flat/mushy output, there's only so much you can do with multiple exposures and processing. OIS helps drive down ISO to create OK images but the downside is long shutter speeds.
It's an inherent feature and well documented. Sony had hoped a RGBW layout would bring sensitivity back but they haven't got it reliably working and it's been delayed.
The S3 uses a similar gen 1.4um pixel sensor, it's more sensitive and overall should be a bit more reliable for low light shots.

Ps, Not knocking the Z1 compact in anyway! I think it's close to being the best Android you can buy. (I just want big pixels to go with that big sensor :) ...and bezels from the Z2 :p ...and lighter chassis with no glass :p)

Caporegime
OP
All phones that use tiny 1.1um pixels when pushing high ISO produce very flat/mushy output, there's only so much you can do with multiple exposures and processing. OIS helps drive down ISO to create OK images but the downside is long shutter speeds.
It's an inherent feature and well documented. Sony had hoped a RGBW layout would bring sensitivity back but they haven't got it reliably working and it's been delayed.
The S3 uses a similar gen 1.4um pixel sensor, it's more sensitive and overall should be a bit more reliable for low light shots.

Ps, Not knocking the Z1 compact in anyway! I think it's close to being the best Android you can buy. (I just want big pixels to go with that big sensor :) ...and bezels from the Z2 :p ...and lighter chassis with no glass :p)

I'm hardly going to criticise you for "knocking it", if I am also the one doing the most complaining about the camera. :p

My point is that this issue is not just down to the pixels, if you analyze the photos you will see that I am talking about software processing.

See this as an example:

Just look at the face... all detail has been digitally crushed by the processing.

Then look how downright bad this photo is with flash...

It's barely any better than a Huawei camera in this situation. Flash light pollution is also very noticeable.

Last edited:

MJ

MJ

Associate
I have made a couple of comparison shots between my lumia 1020 and the z1 compact, both on auto as this is how most will shoot and I have compared the 8mp sony oversampled shot with the 5mp lumia 1020 oversampled shot.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=27E0E8107A91396C!115

Make sure you click view original on each picture.

First few pictures is natural, all be it dull lighting, the last few are under just my normal house lights.

Soldato
mm after reading this thread - took a look at one in a mobile shop in town today

wasn't anywhere near as impressed as I thought I'd be - screen seemed a lot smaller than I'd expected - didn't seem (seem not actual) really any much bigger than my Iphone 4 screen - I think the bezel size doesn't help its case - somehow it makes the screen feel smaller

tried a few videos on it - yes they looked ok - but again felt not much bigger than my Iphone 4

then tried a Nexus 5 and Note 3 - and the extra screen size felt so much nicer - the Note 3 in particular has a stunning screen - just not sure if that is just TOO big

overall was a bit disappointed - but was only a couple of mins play with one

Note 3 at current prices - seems a lot more for your money, bigger higher res screen, bigger battery, 3gb RAM, 32 gig internal storage etc

Last edited:
Soldato
I have made a couple of comparison shots between my lumia 1020 and the z1 compact, both on auto as this is how most will shoot and I have compared the 8mp sony oversampled shot with the 5mp lumia 1020 oversampled shot.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=27E0E8107A91396C!115

Make sure you click view original on each picture.

First few pictures is natural, all be it dull lighting, the last few are under just my normal house lights.

But Windows Phone...... :(

Would love for an Android device to get that camera tech. Damn MS buying Nokia outright.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Same here, i took a peek at one at the weekend, was 90% convinced to replace my S2 with one, but it wasnt as awesome as i expected. Iphone 5s i think now. Dont need anything bigger than the S2.

MJ

MJ

Associate
mm after reading this thread - took a look at one in a mobile shop in town today

wasn't anywhere near as impressed as I thought I'd be - screen seemed a lot smaller than I'd expected - didn't seem (seem not actual) really any much bigger than my Iphone 4 screen - I think the bezel size doesn't help its case - somehow it makes the screen feel smaller

tried a few videos on it - yes they looked ok - but again felt not much bigger than my Iphone 4

then tried a Nexus 5 and Note 3 - and the extra screen size felt so much nicer - the Note 3 in particular has a stunning screen - just not sure if that is just TOO big

Note 3 at current prices - seems a lot more for your money, bigger higher res screen, bigger battery, 3gb RAM, 32 gig internal storage etc

I completely see where you are coming from and I am sure you will have loads of people tell you that big phones are great but honestly, I have had a lot of phones in all shapes and sizes from the iphone 3gs to the lumia 15020 and everything in between.

The note 3's and 1520 of the world are nice and big and you do get a lot of spec for you money but for me personally they are more of a pain than anything else. The size is ridiculous, when you wear a suit it sticks out like a sore thumb, in jeans its awquard and one handed use you can forget.

I always have these thoughts that i'll be far more productive on a large display, its rubbish. I use my phone as a phone, camera and a bit of social networking. If I want to consume massive amount of media I use my tablet, I really don't think there is a good middle ground.

Girls however, they have handbags. Perfect. So basically get a manbag.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see where you are coming from MJ too - the phones the size of the Note etc are a bit too big for me if I'm honest

thing is though - if you're going to go small and powerful - like SPG - its tempting to take the hit and pay the extra for a 5s

decisions decisions

this is why I still have an Iphone 4 (lol - although hats off battery life is still good etc, not bad for way over 3 years old)

Caporegime
OP

Sorry, but if you are even comaring a Z1 Compact and a Note 3, then you were never the target market of the Z1 Compact in the first place. Apples and Oranges. The whole point is that it isn't much bigger than an iPhone 5, because it is the "compact" high-spec phone that many of us have been hoping for. :)

Same here, i took a peek at one at the weekend, was 90% convinced to replace my S2 with one, but it wasnt as awesome as i expected. Iphone 5s i think now. Dont need anything bigger than the S2.

Not sure where to even begin with that one. :p

Back
Top Bottom