Xperia Z1 Compact... finally the holy grail for "normal sized" phone enthusiasts?

MJ

MJ

Associate
I see where you are coming from MJ too - the phones the size of the Note etc are a bit too big for me if I'm honest

thing is though - if you're going to go small and powerful - like SPG - its tempting to take the hit and pay the extra for a 5s

decisions decisions

this is why I still have an Iphone 4 (lol - although hats off battery life is still good etc, not bad for way over 3 years old)

If I liked iOS I would buy an iphone 5s straight away, but everyone has a iPhone so why not be different, get a yellow one!

WP_20140203_19_33_31_Pro.jpg

Soldato
the phone looks a lot better from the back than the front

why such a bezel :( the extra screen size of the Moto G seems noticeable - and size wise they are not disimlar - just less bezel on the G

if you want 720p - the Z1 Compact is nearly 3 times the price of the Moto G - for what a faster processor, better camera and micro usb slot

MJ

MJ

Associate

why such a bezel :( the extra screen size of the Moto G seems noticeable - and size wise they are not disimlar - just less bezel on the G

if you want 720p - the Z1 Compact is nearly 3 times the price of the Moto G - for what a faster processor, better camera and micro usb slot

Moto G is a great buy. But having held one, it doesn't have the same quality feel as the Z1 compact. Can't comment on battery either, but I have seen a video where it is placed under water for 30 mins and is completely fine!

Caporegime
OP

Well yes, thats exactly what a premium phone is... higher spec for more money. The Moto G is a great budget phone, but it is not a premium device merely on account of its screen resolution, and the Sony Z1 Compact is in another league in terms of speed and engineering. Battery life is also great, it lasts a full day of heavy abuse.

Plus, it only cost me 33% more than a Moto G would over here. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
:)

have to agree at 300 odd its a bargain

450 here (currently) - I'm sitting on the fence atm - still good value compared to an Iphone though

MJ

MJ

Associate
This is very disappointing news. It was widely reported that Qi charging would be supported. I will have to return the Qi charger I ordered, but at least I will still have the dock (when it arrives).

Well something is happening when I pop it on the charger. When I put an iPhone on there it does nothing, with the z1 the charger light flashes but it just doesn't charge.

We need a teardown for an absolute answer, might just be a kernel restriction.

Associate
For those who got theirs from Sony or P4U or CPW, can you advise what was in the box in your packages?

I know with O2 you get USB cable, headphones, OTG cable but no charger.

Caporegime
OP
Good comparison on the camera. When used properly, it's very capable I would say. It comes out well in this test....

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/C...G2-iPhone-5s-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-HTC-One_id3561

If your using manual mode outside, without any scene modes... it's as good as any.

It just doesn't have that "point and click" feel to it. It's more like a digicam.

The review you linked starts by saying:

"Superior Auto offers lossless-like digital zoom and takes care of scene adjustments automatically. No modes other than their respective default ones have been applied on the rest of the phones, unless noted otherwise. With this lengthy disclaimer out of the way, let's dive into it!"

You are talking about manual... but it doesn't look like the used anything but superior auto for this comparison?

Soldato
The review you linked starts by saying:

"Superior Auto offers lossless-like digital zoom and takes care of scene adjustments automatically. No modes other than their respective default ones have been applied on the rest of the phones, unless noted otherwise. With this lengthy disclaimer out of the way, let's dive into it!"

You are talking about manual... but it doesn't look like the used anything but superior auto for this comparison?

Most of the cam reviews use Auto, which I think is a flawed way of reviewing cameras in these newer phones.

Superior Auto doesn't even use the 20MP feature, and they talk about this so they must have used manual.

Caporegime
OP
Most of the cam reviews use Auto, which I think is a flawed way of reviewing cameras in these newer phones.

Superior Auto doesn't even use the 20MP feature, and they talk about this so they must have used manual.

20MP is useless, the 8MP shots produce better results and detail. They specifically say they only in the disclaimer I posted above that used Auto, therefore there is no reason to think otherwise. :confused:

Either way their testing results confirm the appalling low light performance.

Soldato
20MP is useless, the 8MP shots produce better results and detail. They specifically say they only in the disclaimer I posted above that used Auto, therefore there is no reason to think otherwise. :confused:

Either way their testing results confirm the appalling low light performance.

Are you kidding me? 20MP results are far far superior in any given sense, especially outdoors. Can get some really good pics in daylight with that.

Low light isn't great, but I don't think it is the sensor. Something in the software isn't quite right.

The Auto mode is broken, it seems to set the ISO way too high and the modes it selects are often wrong. Was looking at the display last night and it was doing a sports action shot when just sat indoors. WTF

Look forward to see if they address it in the new update.

Caporegime
OP
Are you kidding me? 20MP results are far far superior in any given sense, especially outdoors. Can get some really good pics in daylight with that.

Low light isn't great, but I don't think it is the sensor. Something in the software isn't quite right.

The Auto mode is broken, it seems to set the ISO way too high and the modes it selects are often wrong. Was looking at the display last night and it was doing a sports action shot when just sat indoors. WTF

Look forward to see if they address it in the new update.

No Im not kidding... 20MP to me exhibits more visible noise outdoors at 200 ISO vs 8MP shots. I will re-test today with some comparison shots to see if my earlier results are accurate or not, as I haven't had much time to do that yet. Taking photos at 8MP is much preferable on a phone either way due to the file size and also the uses the photos will generally have (Facebook, social media). I can't see the upside of 20MP unless doing some serious cropping, and from everything I have seen of this camera the last thing you want to do is extreme cropping. :D

However, now I have really started to play with the camera I am getting much better results with lower ISO settings and higher exposure... but I still don't think it will do so much good indoors. The flash issue lighting up the bottom half of the photo when it flashes indoors is a real issue as far as this camera goes... and I'm pretty sure I don't have anything (any plastic protector etc) covering it... unless its the worlds most invisible protector.

I have also removed the front screen protector and have ordered new ones to replace it. Also a case.

Screen protectors http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310846690138?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Case http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390757171...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

:)

Caporegime
OP
Huge thread about the camera issues here, in German so you will need to Google translate http://www.android-hilfe.de/sony-xp...ei-der-verarbeitung-kamera-bilder-inside.html

Apparently it is a design flaw that causes the flash to pollute the picture so badly

There is a huge thread on a german forum going on about this. Apparently the coloured devices suffer even more from this. On example pictures, taken with a lime device, you can clearly see a lime, yellowish blur on the buttom.

It looks like the flashlight is guided through the glass between flash and lens, thus bleeding in the picture. Some guys have tested this by covering the flash with cardboard (or similar). Instead of avoiding the light pollution it got worse.

Unfortunately, this probably will not be fixable with a software update.

The coloured devices such as lime are apparently even more badly affected than the black ones. :(

PS: The media also picked this up so hopefully Sony will make a response soon It seems the press are now aware and will be following this up... hopefully Sony will make a response soon when they see the evidence http://www.inside-handy.de/news/303...xperia-z1-compact-problem-bei-fotos-mit-blitz

Last edited:
Soldato
Huge thread about the camera issues here, in German so you will need to Google translate http://www.android-hilfe.de/sony-xp...ei-der-verarbeitung-kamera-bilder-inside.html

Apparently it is a design flaw that causes the flash to pollute the picture so badly

The coloured devices such as lime are apparently even more badly affected than the black ones. :(

Just covered the flash on mine, and took a pic. Phew! No issue.

The flash is not bleeding through here, black model.

Caporegime
OP
Just covered the flash on mine, and took a pic. Phew! No issue.

The flash is not bleeding through here, black model.

Lucky, and genuinely glad for you! The good news to that is also that if yours is fine, it means it does not affect all phones, and that I can exchange it for one that works!

PS: The media also picked this up so hopefully Sony will make a response soon It seems the press are now aware and will be following this up... hopefully Sony will make a response soon when they see the evidence http://www.inside-handy.de/news/303...xperia-z1-compact-problem-bei-fotos-mit-blitz

PS: I just did that test and my bleed is really bad. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Lucky, and genuinely glad for you! The good news to that is also that if yours is fine, it means it does not affect all phones, and that I can exchange it for one that works!

PS: I just did that test and my bleed is really bad. :(

I may have spoke too soon. Two pics seemed fine, but I was using a cloth to cover it, and I have a case on.

Others did exhibit blue flash in the corner. Not sure if I have covered it fully at the same of taking the picture.

Weird thing is, I haven't seen any ill effects when taking pics in dark rooms with the flash on. Very strange.

Back
Top Bottom