2 speeding tickets in one week! what to expect?

Soldato
Hold on, what? You were denied a speed awareness course because of a previous convitction, 12 years prior, and before the speed awareness course was even conceived? You got proper busted.

Sorry, you're quite right. The previous offence that caused me to have been denied a SAC was within 3 years of the one in question. 1995 was when I started driving, not sure why that popped into the thread!

Associate
OP
So.... I received a letter in the post for each of the speeding offences yesterday with 3 options on each 1. attend speed awareness coarse 2. fixed penalty points and fine 3. Attend a court appearance.
Does this mean I can do the speed awareness coarse twice and no points etc ?
Do I have to do a separate coarse for each and pay twice ?

Man of Honour
So.... I received a letter in the post for each of the speeding offences yesterday with 3 options on each 1. attend speed awareness coarse 2. fixed penalty points and fine 3. Attend a court appearance.

Your guess is as good as mine on that one, it depends whether they pick up on the fact they've sent two conditional offers. They shouldn't allow you to do the course, but it all depends how good their administration is.

Soldato

No you should not be allowed to do two speed awareness courses. You are only allowed to do one speed awareness course in 3 years.

However what has happened is you have got two speeding tickets in quick succession which means when they've checked if you're eligible you record has been clean on both occasions they've checked.

As burnsy said, if you put down you want to do a speed awareness course on both tickets, it depends on how good their admin is as to whether this will actually happen. They may spot it, or you may slip between the cracks in the system. Of course if you send them back at the same time, the same person will open the envelopes, and you're busted.

Soldato
I doubt you'll get a speed awareness course offered for it as I believe the guidelines for that offer are that you're within 10% + 2mph of the posted limit, which you weren't in either case.

I was offered it for 42 in a 30, well beyond the 35 that guideline would suggest. I suspect it's entirely force dependent.

Soldato
I was offered it for 42 in a 30, well beyond the 35 that guideline would suggest. I suspect it's entirely force dependent.

The 10% plus 2 rule, which has now become 10% plus 1 I believe, is the last speed you will not be prosecuted at. So for a 30 limit for example.

30 - 34 = Safe
35 - 42 = Speed awareness course offer (if eligible)
43 - 50ish = EFPN
51+ish = Summons

Associate
The 10% plus 2 rule, which has now become 10% plus 1 I believe, is the last speed you will not be prosecuted at. So for a 30 limit for example.

30 - 34 = Safe
35 - 42 = Speed awareness course offer (if eligible)
43 - 50ish = EFPN
51+ish = Summons

What do you mean by EFPN? I got stopped yesterday by traffic police using a handheld gun (they were hiding in bushes at side of the road ffs) doing 47 in a 30 zone. Most rediculous 30mph zone ever as its a dual carraigeway no where near a built up area but nevermind....

Back
Top Bottom