Xperia Z1 Compact... finally the holy grail for "normal sized" phone enthusiasts?

Caporegime
OP
I may have spoke too soon. Two pics seemed fine, but I was using a cloth to cover it, and I have a case on.

Others did exhibit blue flash in the corner. Not sure if I have covered it fully at the same of taking the picture.

Weird thing is, I haven't seen any ill effects when taking pics in dark rooms with the flash on. Very strange.

Best way is to set the flash to "Fill" mode and then lay it flat on the desk. Cover the flash with something thick and heavy like a notepad (cardboard side pressed firmly down over the flash). Then use the side shutter button to take a photo and you will see for sure if there is bleed or not. It's fail-safe. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I have just done a few test.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Is_NjafRq8k/UvD5z-8SO5I/AAAAAAAALh8/aEDZuoUOtyM/w891-h501-no/DSC_0003.JPG

Covered it with all sorts in a dark room and in my office no light bleeding at all, and I have the lime varient.

I can see the flash going of but there is no bleed into the lens as far as I can see.

Can you try please taking a photo in a very dark room, as dark as possible, preferably with some distance between you and the wall, and then see if it exhibits any bleed?

It seems to be especially visible with 3-4m of space in front of the camera, like outdoors at night.

My thread on the Sony forums is now picking up pace, and some horrendous examples of the problem are on there http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperi...mera-so-poor-Comparison-shots/m-p/542883#M138 :eek:

MJ

MJ

Associate
Ok, so mine is showing some bleed when I cover the flash in a completely dark room. I have also just tried this with a friends iphone and it does exactly the same thing. Would this not just be the light looking to escape somewhere.

If i don't cover the flash in the room and let it just flash i see a slight bleed at the bottom but not as bad as some, I don't think most people would even notice it. Deffinetly a hardware issue but not one I would get that upset about.

flash on (covered)

DSC_0001.JPG

Flash on not covered

DSC_0002.JPG

Caporegime
OP
Interesting, thanks a lot for testing!

Just out of interest again... could you please try taking the same picture on manual setting with 200 ISO, and lets see how much cleaner the image is than Superior Auto mode?

PS: I recommend putting your images in side quotes to stop people quoting them. :)

Soldato
Can someone please confirm the readings on their charger for me?

I bought a supposed official one today and this is what it says.

Model: EP800
Input: 100-240VAC - 150ma
Output: 5.0v DC == 850ma

EDIT: Nevermind.

They were meant to send me an EP880. Idiots.

O2 really need to look at this policy. If my phone's battery gets nerfed, I will make O2 eat the entire cost of a repair. It is their policy to blame here.

They offered me this 850ma charger instore too, good work O2.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is very hard to carry out this camera test and I have to question the results of some of the posters on the other forum.

When covering the lense with a notepad, a small bit of light can still creep around the sides. It's near impossible to totally black out the flash. Tried various things to do it, and there is always small amounts of light that get through.

I can tell some of the results people are getting are not indicative of the actual problem at hand. They aren't getting a full flash cover. LOL

Caporegime
OP
It is very hard to carry out this camera test and I have to question the results of some of the posters on the other forum.

When covering the lense with a notepad, a small bit of light can still creep around the sides. It's near impossible to totally black out the flash. Tried various things to do it, and there is always small amounts of light that get through.

I can tell some of the results people are getting are not indicative of the actual problem at hand. They aren't getting a full flash cover. LOL

No, it didn't creep around the sides... it went through the glass. The whole point of the test is to ascertain if it reflects inside the the glass and it reaches the sensor.

This is being discussed at length on several major forums including XDA, so feel free to go and "LOL" at them and see the reception you get... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2634565 :p

Last edited:
Soldato
No, it didn't creep around the sides... it went through the glass. The whole point of the test is to ascertain if it reflects inside the the glass and it reaches the sensor.

This is being discussed at length on several major forums including XDA, so feel free to go and "LOL" at them and see the reception you get... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2634565 :p

There are some on there where people have put their finger over the flash. Light can travel through your finger, it is bright enough too. One on the german forum used a piece of card. Well duuuuh!!!

Not saying it isn't a problem, i'm saying many of the cases described has people getting drawn into something that doesn't affect them.

My theory is that inside the camera which seperates the lense and flash compartments, there is a piece of plastic the same colour as the housing which is thin. The black just does a better job of blocking it out.

Be curious to see how the pink / white ones fare.

Can see Sony switching the handsets out without a problem. They still need to work on those ISO levels though for Auto mode.

Last edited:

MJ

MJ

Associate
Just endured the wind and rain and I can confirm I have no light leaking into the lens, unless I cover the flash. Why I would do that I don't know :/ Mine is yellow.

Soldato
Just shot these two in a dark room.

One with the Torch mode, other Fill flash. Not a great flash anyway, but don't think the issue is there. Not like those other poor fellas are seeing.

Doing the night sky test I did get the blue edge, but I could make out it was the blasted clear back Roxfit case. That plays tricks with the sunlight during the day without a flash being brought into it.
KNhigl0l.jpg

t1Z9pp8l.jpg

Last edited:

MJ

MJ

Associate
Just an update for some people worries about the camera, not that these are very good shots but there is not a lot wrong with this camera.

I took a few shots this eve of a friends bike in the pitch black apart from a small side light.

Look great on the phone, lots of detail.

Caporegime
OP
Just an update for some people worries about the camera, not that these are very good shots but there is not a lot wrong with this camera.

I took a few shots this eve of a friends bike in the pitch black apart from a small side light.

Look great on the phone, lots of detail.

Please post the settings when you post a photo so we know which you used. :)

Caporegime
OP
On a positive note, the camera is pretty stellar with manual settings and ISO control (no flash)... check the detail...

Photo 1:

20.1MP
SCN: Disabled with 20MP photos (no idea why)
Photo 1: ISO 50
Focussing: Multi
Metering: Average

Photo 2:

8MP
SCN: None
Photo 1: ISO 400
Focussing: Multi
Metering: Average

Those are very good results. It's just the flash which sucks...

PS: Facebook has compressed those so they aren't original quality.

Last edited:
Soldato
Already have a small scuff on the back of the phone, was only out of a case for 20 minutes. Case on since day one.

Says it all about Sony's anti shatter film really. Not had a scratched anything for five years.

Anyone else using their phone naked? Need to peel that back film off and put a proper protector on there.

Back
Top Bottom