Quick question about Help to Buy

Soldato
I’m looking to buy a house. However we can’t decide on location and I’m a bit worried about spending lot of money only then to find that we don’t like the area.

Today I thought about buying a 2 bed flat instead. We currently live right outside the city centre in not so good an area, but it’s alright and we’ve had no problems in 3 years we’ve lived here. I could buy a flat in the same development as we’re currently renting for anywhere between 70k and 80k.

I have a bit over 25% deposit. Would I still be able to get 20% from Help to Buy? Am I right that this scheme can be now used on ‘old’ properties? Looking online I can’t find definite answer. I will be going to see financial advisor later this week.

My thinking is that with a mortgage of 40k or so we will be able to repay the Help to Buy loan in 5 years, while it is interest free, and also repay the mortgage shortly after. Which means within a few years I could own an asset worth approx. 80k or more if the prices go up. These flats were selling for over 100k before recession.
Monthly repayment would be almost £200 cheaper (10 years term) than our current rent so even with paying service charge we’d still be saving money. I know as a homeowner there will be extra costs, but value of these flats is way below our budget, so I don’t see a problem repaying both the loan and mortgage early.

Soldato
I personally wouldn't bank on any apartments in Manchestergoing up in value and if they do it won't be much. There's just too many of them.

Why not look at a buy to let house further outside the city? You'll get more for your money with more of a chance to make out of it. By renting it out you'll be off-setting the cost of you renting an apartment if the city is where you want to be.

Then you have a house to settle down in further down the line.

Kinda what I did.

Soldato
OP
I don't really count on it going up in value, bonus if it does though. However I can't see us saving ~60k in that time if we keep renting, plus I had enough of renting to be honest. We quite like living here, flat is adequate for our needs but we would like to do some changes to it, which we can't as tenants.

Thanks for the idea but not something I'd consider.

Associate
You can buy properties which are not new, yes.

However, I think you are limited to a deposit of between 5 and 10%. So if you were buying a 100k property, you would only be allowed to put down 10k of your own money, the rest being the HTB scheme.

Back
Top Bottom