Laudrup sacked

Soldato
The Europa league is a poison chalice to the smaller teams, millions of extra games injuring and tiring your limited resources out. It'll be Everton next season if they qualify.

Think this is more about the constant possibility of him being poached by a bigger team though tbh rather than the teams poor performances this year so think they decided to get rid now rather than wait till the summer when he'd have probably been off anyway.

Associate
He's overrated, and I'm thrilled he's gone. Just a shame it didn't happen before the transfer window.

Some of his team selections are baffling. Shelvey playing no. 10 rather than as one of the 2 central midfielders, meaning Pozuelo sits on the bench or is played out of position on the wing. Lamah barely getting a game, despite being very decent in his odd cameo, whilst Dyer and Routledge continue to be inconsistent at best, and Hernandez being terminally broken. Vasquez being preferred to Donnelly, despite doing absolutely nothing of note and Donnelly, like Lamah, doing alright in the 3 minutes or whatever he's been given.

His transfer business is a shambles too. For every Michu, there's a Shechter. Then there was the Tiendalli farce. And, the real sickener, he allows one of our best players - Ki - to go on loan (ok, they had a bit of disagreement pre-season, but just fine him or something) and brings back the embarrassingly **** De Guzman.

Think this is more about the constant possibility of him being poached by a bigger team though tbh rather than the teams poor performances this year so think they decided to get rid now rather than wait till the summer when he'd have probably been off anyway.

That's nonsense. If he were to leave for another club we would be due compensation. But, by sacking him, we have paid him compensation. It was entirely down to his performance this season.

Soldato
[...] And, the real sickener, he allows one of our best players - Ki - to go on loan (ok, they had a bit of disagreement pre-season, but just fine him or something) and brings back the embarrassingly **** De Guzman.
I agree with some of your post [especially the baffling Lamah/Donnelly constant overlooks], but the quote has me at maximum eyebrow.

Yes, de Guzman can drift out of games later on, and yes, sometimes he will back out of a 50/50 [cowardly... or sensible?] but you rewatch any of the games where he comes on as a 45-60 sub and see how much more smooth and swift our transitional play becomes once he's on. Very much a 'Laudrup' player. But don't worry, he's definitely not going to be with us next season now anyway :(

Ki was the polar opposite of JDG in this respect: hesitancy, caution and poor decision-making were his trademarks. He just never seemed to fit in like he somehow does in Poyet's Sunderland. Yeah, there were interpersonal issues between Ki and Laudrup, but it wasn't those in isolation that led to him being loaned out.

Last edited:
Associate
They've got worse since the LC trophy but it's a bad decision to sack him right now. It was basically Rodgers team but going backwards.

Surely Hughton is a dead man walking then. He's just as bad, if not worse.

Soldato
Complete joke. If i was a Swansea player i'd be wounded. He's guided them to a tie with Napoli in the knock out of the europa and he won't even be in charge..

The league was obviously going to suffer, factor in the extreme competitiveness of this year and it was always going to be a struggle to rotate well with a small squad. Michu has been completely crocked this year as well. It's mad, you won't find a more highly decorated player really..

I'm highly interested to find out if they have someone better lined up. I just see them going backwards though tbh..

Associate

This could go on forever, but I disagree.

I'll try not to drag it out too long :p

JDG doesn't drift out of games... because he is seldom in them to begin with. Unless we are absolutely murdering a team I often forget he is even playing... until he stolls up to take another poor corner or free kick like he is the main man. He rarely presents himself for a pass, and when he does get the ball he dithers for an eternity. It is hugely frustrating seeing time and again both the pass that he should make, and the pass you know he will (eventually) make.

Also, he doesn't just shirk 50/50s, he neglects his defensive duties completely. He almost stops when we lose the ball, or makes a token effort to move slowly towards the nearest opponent. He affects nothing, bar our shape and defensive numbers. It wouldn't be so much of an issue if he's playing behind the striker, but he isn't.

Ki on the other hand is always available for a pass, and when he does get the ball he recycles quickly. He might make a lot of short passes - that people dismiss as doing nothing - but if there is a more speculative option available he has no hesitation going for it - and succeeding, due to his ridiculous technique. Incidentally, it is strange how he is derided for this, when it is the very thing that Leon Britton (who I have no particular issue with) is lauded for.

Anyway, the other criticism fans have levelled at Ki is his lack of goals, especially in comparison to JDG. Ki played a lot deeper for us than he did at Celtic and with S. Korea (with whom his scoring record is fine) though, and JDG played predominantly behind Michu last season so was bound to carry more of a goal threat. So, moot point there.

Finally! Defensively, I admit Ki is no Makelele but he is far more influential than JDG. As I said, he isn't naturally a defensive player so shouldn't be castigated any more than JDG for any shortcomings. He will always try though. He maintains discipline and tracks people... which is good enough for me.

End of rant :]

Soldato
This could go on forever, but I disagree. I'll try not to drag it out too long :p
Noooo, keep dragging it out! If we don't, you know what happens: it turns into an Arsenal thread :D

Okay, I admit I had forgotten about JdG's corner-taking ability until after I'd posted. I can't defend what other teams don't need to.

[many drafts and much time later]

Oh god, life's too short [or at least my alarm clock's set too early] to give your considered reply a similar one in return, sorry :(. If I've got time/inclination tomorrow, if I'm not left depressed and angry by an accidental visit to PlanetSwans, and if the thread hasn't decamped to north London, I'll have a go at a proper response.

Soldato
Interested to see who they get to replace him. The form doesn't make good reading I agree, but as others have said, he won the league cup for them, and IMO, overachieved in the Europa League.

Associate
Be interesting to see if Chico Flores still gets game now Monk's in charge. That was probably just the media making a mountain out of a molehill but if he really was threatening with a brick it sounds a bit more involved than the usual training ground bust up.

Soldato
So another Southampton product stepping up in the Premier league only this time it's one time centre half prospect Gary Monk! Good luck to him sounds like the dressing room is a bit of a mess.

Was always going to be a big challenge for Swansea this season expectations were high but we've seen the effect the Europa league can have on smaller teams before and they have been unlucky with injuries to key players.

Soldato
I think the absence of michu is a big factor for there position. If you add his goals he had last season they would be sitting pretty.

Bit of a surprise but as reported him flying off to Paris for a couple of days and giving the team a few days off. What's in Paris? PSG maybe?

Associate
The only people surprised with this are non Swansea fans. I've been dreading this weekend as we have been awful for a long time and the players don't have any fight, something had to change.

Back
Top Bottom