Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Updated my rear lights to 997.2 design with some OEM styled dectanes, I love LEDs and a good buy at £300 second hand, couple of pics taken tonight, literally take five minutes to fit:-

Before

FE82AD73-CF9B-4BC9-8849-0E9CE1932CCB-11697-00001C3BFF184F6E_zps09c4fb69.jpg

After

2465C52E-EC0A-4D72-B1C8-510EED4FA784-11697-00001C3C0B8995C8_zps1c36b667.jpg

45FB6569-1A81-4B99-A892-69F247ABD133-11697-00001C3C04A796B8_zps79d938d3.jpg

997.2 and newer moved to LEDs, got them for mine as I prefer the look and gives it a more modern look. :)

Soldato
looks very nice.

I started looking at 991's now, But I am really struggling to see the value in an extra £30k over my car (which is only a 2011) I would love to get into a 991 but they seem to be holding their value very well at the moment.

Any Idea when the 991.2 is due?

OcUK Staff
OP
looks very nice.

I started looking at 991's now, But I am really struggling to see the value in an extra £30k over my car (which is only a 2011) I would love to get into a 991 but they seem to be holding their value very well at the moment.

Any Idea when the 991.2 is due?

To be fair these 991's holding price has done great things for us with 997's, so don't complain too much. ;)
No idea on a 991.2 though, I mean could they really extract any more power or make them any more faster?

Man of Honour
Very nice indeed!

I'm trying to convince myself my next car should be a 911.
Problem is the wife has a Mini so where do we put the luggage when we go away?
And how do I manage those tip runs?

Rent a van and you can easily fit luggage in a 911. Loads of space behind the rear seats (assuming no kids) and plenty of space in the nose. Life is too short to find reasons for not doing something, last year showed me that with friends losing their lives far too early. If you want a Turbo and can afford a turbo, you MUST buy a turbo as you never know what tomorrow brings. No one EVER lay in bed worrying about the fact their car couldn't carry a case or some old boxes. DO IT! ;)

Associate
Rent a van and you can easily fit luggage in a 911. Loads of space behind the rear seats (assuming no kids) and plenty of space in the nose. Life is too short to find reasons for not doing something, last year showed me that with friends losing their lives far too early. If you want a Turbo and can afford a turbo, you MUST buy a turbo as you never know what tomorrow brings. No one EVER lay in bed worrying about the fact their car couldn't carry a case or some old boxes. DO IT! ;)

This.

We run two two seaters and over the last 12 months its only been an issue like twice, ended up just taking both cars :rolleyes:

Soldato
Car was in last week for some material to be repaired in the roof. The OPC picked up on a cracking coil pack and there was a bit of place in the gear stick which turned out to be the selector. Both replaced under warranty (would have been roughly £800 without the warranty).

Then yesterday the car wouldn't start up at all, windows going mental, warning lights on the dash etc.... Had the AA out who diagnosed it was the battery (still on the original), replaced with a suitable Bosch number and everything is fine now.

I'm hoping prices rise slightly towards the summer so that I get a bit more when selling.

Got given a brand new (3 miles on the clock) Golf Bluemotion TDI DSG. What a boring car with a crazy list price. I drive it really carefully and only managed 41MPG as well, still didn't really like the DSG box and couldn't wait to give the car back.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hmm you know this will void your warranty?

Yep, Porsche will not review warranty with that in place, even though its a better battery. :(

If your going for warranty again and need a battery I will swap you with my one at next RR meet or something, if that helps?

My LED lights, left rear, keeps going out with the dash saying left tail light failure. :(

I am thinking because they are LED they consume so little power which makes the car think not functioning and as such disables it.

I am gonna try wiring in some 6 ohm 50W resistors to try and fool the cars systems and as such not shutting down the rear left tail light, if this works I shall do it to both sides. :)

Just went with these from ebay:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251306785271?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Soldato
Hmm you know this will void your warranty?

Yep, Porsche will not review warranty with that in place, even though its a better battery. :(

If your going for warranty again and need a battery I will swap you with my one at next RR meet or something, if that helps?

That's crazy, the OPC wasn't open and I needed a battery so got one that matched the exact spec of the original.

The car still has 15 months of warranty left on it and it'll be sold by the summer - I assume they won't void the current warranty or turn done a claim on say a gearbox, clutch or something because of a different brand battery?

Soldato
That's crazy, the OPC wasn't open and I needed a battery so got one that matched the exact spec of the original.

The car still has 15 months of warranty left on it and it'll be sold by the summer - I assume they won't void the current warranty or turn done a claim on say a gearbox, clutch or something because of a different brand battery?

They could yes, however my old 997.1 had a new engine put it and they did not notice the bosch battery however if they did I think they would have voided the whole claim.

Trade your battery with Gibbo if he wants.

Soldato
They could yes, however my old 997.1 had a new engine put it and they did not notice the bosch battery however if they did I think they would have voided the whole claim.

Trade your battery with Gibbo if he wants.

As I'm only likely to do another 2k-3k over the next few months in the car before I sell it I'm hoping to not need to go back to my local OPC and this wouldn't be a worry.

I can't see how they can deny a claim for say a gearbox if I fitted an equal battery a month before or something. I think the 911 battery is different to the Boxster anyway so not sure Gibbo's would work / fit.

I'll be glad when I don't need to rely on my local OPC and can go to my local favourite garage for work.

Need to start considering what to get really!

Soldato
As I'm only likely to do another 2k-3k over the next few months in the car before I sell it I'm hoping to not need to go back to my local OPC and this wouldn't be a worry.

I can't see how they can deny a claim for say a gearbox if I fitted an equal battery a month before or something. I think the 911 battery is different to the Boxster anyway so not sure Gibbo's would work / fit.

I'll be glad when I don't need to rely on my local OPC and can go to my local favourite garage for work.

I understand what you are saying but at the end of the day you are in breach of the terms and conditions set out in your contract so I would think they can turn down your claim.

I would suggest you get a 997.2 for your next car.

OcUK Staff
OP

Stop worrying!
The battery won't void a claim, but they won't refresh your warranty with it in place, even though its better than the crap Porsche sells for twice the money.

Take a photo of your battery and post it up, if its same spec/size I am happy to swap as I won't be getting a warranty on mine again, remap, different throttlebody, exhaust system, GT3 suspension, LOL.

Though they did warranty work on mine with GT3 suspension, steel turbo brakes, larger throttle body in place, though I did remove the remap and cats before going for warranty work. ;)

Soldato
If you don't know what you want, why change?

I've had the car for 3 years now and don't enjoy it anywhere as near as much as I should. I should have really got rid of it last summer. It's not a bad car (they are brilliant), I just want to change.

I understand what you are saying but at the end of the day you are in breach of the terms and conditions set out in your contract so I would think they can turn down your claim.

I would suggest you get a 997.2 for your next car.

Next car won't be a Porsche. A 997.2 would be out of my price range anyway. Next car will cost the same or less than I sell my current car for.

Stop worrying!
The battery won't void a claim, but they won't refresh your warranty with it in place, even though its better than the crap Porsche sells for twice the money.

Take a photo of your battery and post it up, if its same spec/size I am happy to swap as I won't be getting a warranty on mine again, remap, different throttlebody, exhaust system, GT3 suspension, LOL.

Though they did warranty work on mine with GT3 suspension, steel turbo brakes, larger throttle body in place, though I did remove the remap and cats before going for warranty work. ;)

That's fine then, I'm not going to need to renew the warranty. I just didn't want a massive warranty claim being turned down.

It's THIS battery, but shouldn't need to swap with yours as it'll be sold shortly.

Back
Top Bottom