US: The After - New show from Chris Carter (You know the guy from X-files)

Soldato
Quoted from Blastr

Well, that was fast. Just a few days after the first action-packed clip dropped for Chris Carter’s new sci-fi series The After, the entire pilot episode has gone live at Amazon. Want to see?

Though he’s had a few projects crash and burn in development hell over the years, this marks Carter’s first real return to sci-fi television since The X-Files, and it doesn’t skimp on the ambition. If the pilot is picked up, the series will follow eight strangers who must “help each other survive in a violent world that defies explanation.” Yeah, that's vague, but we wouldn't want to spoil things.

The expansive cast includes Aldis Hodge, Andrew Howard, Arielle Kebbel, Jamie Kennedy, Sharon Lawrence, Sam Littlefield, Louise Monot, Jaina Lee Ortiz, Adrian Pasdar, Jason Lewis, Brynn Bowie, Madison Bowie, Giovanni Lopes, Fred Cross, Stacey Rand, Greg Collins, Don Harvey, Rolando Boyce, Dove Meir and J.R. Cruz.

After rolling out some half-hour comedies and kiddie shows last season, Amazon is definitely ramping things up this year. The After is a huge shot across the bow at scripted sci-fi, and we’d love to see more of what Carter could do with the concept. It definitely has a Flashforward and The Event vibe, though hopefully Carter can avoid the pitfalls that killed those fellow "high-concept" projects.

Click here to head over to Amazon and check it out.

An Amazon Prime subscription is required, but you can sign up for a 30-day trial and watch it for free. The company will use viewership data and feedback to determine which projects will move forward for a full season.

Managed to catch this last night,

Though I found the characters a little stereotypical, I did enjoy it. I like the way we don't know what has happened and probably won't for a while. Looking forward to seeing more (If it gets made)

Associate
I did chuckle at the clown when he turns round trying to lift the security gate "I'm only a clown".

I'm guessing its trying or wants to be hell on earth end of days
apocalypse type of thing rather than the 'walking dead zombie cash in'.

Permabanned
It looked pretty good, the ending phase, was intriguing and I want to see more.

Alea iacta est..should be Iacta Alea Est..."The Die is Cast"

When will we know whether it has been picked up?

Associate
Thought it had potential but found the swearing very excessive and irritating. And found some of the accents rather poor. But it had Profit, so could work

Man of Honour
On the fence, it had a lot of potential but I think they went about it wrong and showed their hand (literally) too early.

Needed more subtle element (just throwing it in randomly but for instance a clock running backwards or stuff like that - but stuff that also hints towards further plot elements) and the characters needed a bit more work, the lawyer guy needed to be a little more authoritative, etc. etc.

Then they should have left it at the hand on the shoulder - then the others turning up scaring whatever off - while the creature at the end was among the freakiest I've seen on screen its stuff best played out slowly with more left to the imagination.

Associate
Finally watched it - can't believe it has been greenlit by Amazon.

Sat through it until the end as it was Chris Carter, else it wouldn't have lasted 10m!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
thx added to the playlist....

at this rate should have a playlist called tv series that may end season 1 ;)

Soldato
Dat ending... The stereotyping in that first eps was just OTT though to to mention that lady who wanted to go back into the house for her phone when they were being chased down - wtf! Only watched it because it was from C.Carter.

Soldato
So I'm guessing this is a one off to judge reaction and viewing figures before deciding whether or not to show a series?

Does anyone know if it's being carried on?

I'm quite intrigued by what I've seen and it has potential. What does annoy me though is it would appear (in these types of series) that anyone can receive a compound fracture to their leg and still manage to hobble around :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Pretty much - its been given the go ahead but I'm skeptical it had the potential to be good but they need to slow it down a bit and fill in some of the detail more (subtext/hints, attention to detail/getting little things right, people doing unlikely things in a given scenario).

One of the other Amazon Original pilots - Bosch - seems like it could be quite good also.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom