• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 280x Gaming Edition - Unimpressed

Caporegime
Stock is around 1.18v-1.2v. Because 290's now use offset voltage (maybe 280X's do as well now, not sure) it fluctuates a bit.
I hope not, i'm going to be pondering a 280X soon, i was always a little dubious about the Gaming but had it on my short list because of the price, the one i want is a bit pricey, for me the Gaming is now off the menu, that leaves that Sapphire Tri-X and this Powercolor

At least its narrowed it down some more, but i want the usual 1.3v or more available to me, i'm not messing on with a measly 1.2v. no wonder Neil can't get this thing overclocked.

Caporegime
I hope not, i'm going to be pondering a 280X soon, i was always a little dubious about the Gaming but had it on my short list because of the price, the one i want is a bit pricey, for me the Gaming is now off the menu, that leaves that Sapphire Tri-X and this Powercolor

At least its narrowed it down some more, but i want the usual 1.3v or more available to me, i'm not messing on with a measly 1.2v. no wonder he can't get this thing overclocked.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-343-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1842

I'm 99% sure the MSI 280X is not voltage locked. I have a feeling there could be a PEBKAC issue here. MSI just don't voltage lock AMD cards.

Associate
You have to be at least a little greatful it doesn't artifact at stock like a lot of others :p. OCUK have mine atm but looks like they won't have any until the end of the week at least to send a replacement. One way of looking at it though is at least they have sold out of the dodgy batch and hopefully the new one is better.

Are you running UEFI as I'm sure I read changing volts in afterburner will only work with legacy BIOS.

Caporegime
OP
You have to be at least a little greatful it doesn't artifact at stock like a lot of others :p. OCUK have mine atm but looks like they won't have any until the end of the week at least to send a replacement. One way of looking at it though is at least they have sold out of the dodgy batch and hopefully the new one is better.

Are you running UEFI as I'm sure I read changing volts in afterburner will only work with legacy BIOS.

It's in the hybrid bios position (Legacy/UEFI), my system bios is legacy :)

Anyway, this is for Ltmatt

image.jpg

VEN_1002*.cfg

[Settings]
VDDC_IR3567B_Detection = 32h
VDDC_IR3567B_Output = 0
MVDDC_IR3567B_Detection = 32h
MVDDC_IR3567B_Output = 1

gpuz.jpg

heaven.jpg

Valley.jpg

Caporegime
OP
did you test with asus gpu tweak and sapphire trixx? I could never get along with msi afterburner,and as others have said id be very surprised if msi had locked out the voltage

I think I've tried Trixx before and it was the same, but i'll try again in the next hour

Caporegime
He mentioned in a thread somewhere

I believe that config file only enables people to adjust voltages but only in the set limits.

Check that thread. It should be possiblet to edit the shortcut for afterburner to allow voltage control. I don't know the specifics, so you may have to ask him.

Or you can try Trixxx Mod version. This version of trixx has been known to give voltage control to locked cards.

http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/83298134/file.html

Caporegime
OP
Check that thread. It should be possiblet to edit the shortcut for afterburner to allow voltage control. I don't know the specifics, so you may have to ask him.

Or you can try Trixxx Mod version. This version of trixx has been known to give voltage control to locked cards.

http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/83298134/file.html

It does, hence that config edit I posted. That allows the voltages to be adjusted but not beyond this set limit. I mean christ, this is just about stock volts!

Clipboard02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom