**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
The runflats on my MINI Cooper S are just annoying me too much now, so I'm looking to change them to normal tyres. My commute is ~14 miles each way and can be a mix of motorway and A-roads, or A-roads and country B-roads.
F1AS2 and CSC5 are not available in 195/55/16, so the question is which is the best tyre in this size?
I'm tempted to try the new Uniroyal RainSport 3, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

This reply isn't going to help you, but how does one know if they need XL tyres or not when getting rid of runflats?

I'm tempted to get normal tyres too next time, but the XL rating is something I'm unsure about.

Caporegime
where are people's favourite places to get tyres ?

Evo said they got Eagle F1 AS2 in 225/40/18 for £108 each fitted. Trying to see if I can match it but closest so far is my tyres at £114

anybody do any better ? (has to be fitted price as the local garages round me seem to want to charge silly money @ £15 each to fit internet tyres)

Associate
What tyres would you guys recommend for my 2006 focus ST, the Avons which were on the front are getting a little low and they feel awful in the wet. There seems to be such a wide range available between £110-£130 per corner that I don't know where to start.

Soldato
Soldato
Any pointers for 225/55/17 for on an Insignia (not particularly spirited driving!) - links would be good. I'm going to ask 'Funky tyres' later when I'm home from work, but at the moment the cheapest non-rubbish tyre I can find are Rainsport 3's on Camskill for £89.

Happy to take any advice (never done it) on going slightly outside of 225/55 if it makes it significantly cheaper.

Soldato
Eagle F1 A2s on a Focus MK2

Need your advice guys..

I want to put a set of decent tyres on my Focus MK2. The tyre size all round at the moment is 205/50/R17 but the tyres i want (Eagle F1 A2) are not available in this size..

A mate of mine told me I could get a slightly different size and pointed me in the direction of a tyre size calculator.

http://imgur.com/ehBXY0W

Does this like it would work for me based on the new tyre size?

Soldato
Need your advice guys..

I want to put a set of decent tyres on my Focus MK2. The tyre size all round at the moment is 205/50/R17 but the tyres i want (Eagle F1 A2) are not available in this size..

A mate of mine told me I could get a slightly different size and pointed me in the direction of a tyre size calculator.

http://imgur.com/ehBXY0W

Does this like it would work for me based on the new tyre size?

2cm larger width, might struggle to get it on the same wheel, but I'll let someone else confirm/deny..
Rolling circumference wouldn't be a problem.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OK so around 400-450 miles or more on the F1 AS2 and here are my thoughts.

95% good.

The lost 5% comes from the lack of feel when changing direction at speed from the front tyres. On the PS2 and Sessantas when at speed if I changed lanes I could do so with very slight movements of the wheel and the feedback was great, there was some weight to it and the car moved in the direction by however much movement I was giving the steering wheel.

On the As2 that feeling is lost and it feels more like it's sort of floating at the front. It is still planted and gives full confidence, you know the grip is there as you can feel it but the feedback from the front --at speed-- is no longer there.

At non motorway speeds it's fine and virtually identical to the turning feedback from the previous tyres and grip is better all round by a fair amount which is the main thing.

At speed there is less noise and resonance too and the car feels more stable. Just a shame about the loss of steering wheel feedback.

I will try another tyre next time round.

Edit*
The above is from driving in both dry and wet and also abysmal conditions. The remarkable thing is the amount of grip in the latter.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
where are people's favourite places to get tyres ?

Evo said they got Eagle F1 AS2 in 225/40/18 for £108 each fitted. Trying to see if I can match it but closest so far is my tyres at £114

anybody do any better ? (has to be fitted price as the local garages round me seem to want to charge silly money @ £15 each to fit internet tyres)

£92 delivered here:-
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-225-40-18/?m=19&s=S

Seem the cheapest by far on Michelin and Goodyear. Work colleague got a set of supersports and I ordered a set of cups, takes 2-3 days delivery. :)

Soldato
£92 delivered here:-
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-225-40-18/?m=19&s=S

Seem the cheapest by far on Michelin and Goodyear. Work colleague got a set of supersports and I ordered a set of cups, takes 2-3 days delivery. :)

Bloody hell they're cheap, Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2s in 255/35/R18 for £127 - that's at least £20 cheaper than anywhere else (Camskill £145 plus postage and Black Circles are £165).

Bookmarking that link :).

Soldato
OP

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So 2.4 front and 2.8 rear. Seems rather high, means even higher when loaded...

Main point being why would the AS2 need more air in the first place.

I'll try it for a bit but I don't really want to put abnormal wear on the tread by over inflating beyond the guideline.

Soldato
Because the walls are made from chewing gum or something. Thin, floppy, no reinforcement at all. Probably why they are so lightweight.

Back
Top Bottom