mega storms uk next week

Soldato
Wind 1-0 Roof

One tile ripped off by the wind, slid down the side of the house and missed my car on the drive. Hopefully nothing else goes flying about as I could do without a hefty bill repairing the car!

Man of Honour
Its a bit embarassing how big a "crisis" its being made out sure some people have been inconvenienced by it (to varying levels, some quite badly) and a small number have had to abandon their homes and thats quite traumatic but in the grand scheme of things its nothing - the infrastructure is still functioning as a whole, theres still plenty of safe areas, power will likely be restored in 24 hours to most areas and so on :S the way some are going on you'd think we were in the middle of Syria or something.

Soldato
You only need 74mph on the Beuford scale for it to be classed a hurricane I believe. The Met are warning of 90-100mph.

Anyone who remembers 1988 knows this is no joke.

Up here in the Cairngorms we are seeing 50mph+ most days with 100mph+ at least once a week. Hit 150mph ish the other week. Anything under 60mph is good skiing weather for me at the moment! :D Oh and the tops of the mountains have up to 7 metres of snow in places! Just need the wind to calm down so I can get to it and have some fun!

Caporegime
Its a bit embarassing how big a "crisis" its being made out sure some people have been inconvenienced by it (to varying levels, some quite badly) and a small number have had to abandon their homes and thats quite traumatic but in the grand scheme of things its nothing - the infrastructure is still functioning as a whole, theres still plenty of safe areas, power will likely be restored in 24 hours to most areas and so on :S the way some are going on you'd think we were in the middle of Syria or something.

A BBC reporter likened it to a warzone this morning on BBC Breakfast...I almost through my crunchy nut at the TV.

Now the assistant chief of the defence staff describes it as an "almost unparalleled natural crisis".

:rolleyes:

It is a bit of bad weather.

I don't mean to belittle the awful situation some people are in because of flooding but to call it a warzone and an unparalleled natural crisis is just rubbish.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Gald I had all my (old and flaky) cast iron guttering replaced at the beginning of December - that coming down on top of the car doesn't bear thinking about.

Associate
Well, following Saturday's roof damage, we've come home to a ridge tile missing and at least half a dozen slates gone. I'm wondering if I should park the car at the local supermarket to keep it as far away as possible from risk of damage....

Soldato
1392229398381_zpsd754e879.jpg

Just seen this posted on 4chan :eek:. So glad i live on a hill right now.

Edit, resized

Last edited:
Soldato
Lights flickering here, fibre was off between 4-6pm which has been rock solid for 8 months even through previous harsh weather!

Serious gusts today, roof tiles flying everywhere etc etc etc

Back
Top Bottom