what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Creative Aurvana Live! (broken)
Creative Fatality Mk2 (broken)
Panasonic RP-HTF600E-S
SoundMAGIC E10
Sony something or other in-ears
Creative Aurvana Live! 2 (love them)

Associate
DT770 Pro 80 ohm (twice)
DT990 Pro 250ohm (sold)
DT770 Pro 250ohm
DT770 Pro 80 ohm (keepers!).
Philips X1 - (Sold)
Klipsch S4
Klipsch Custom 3 (sold)
Shure SE535/530/ (sold)
Denon D2000 (sold)

Now looking at buying the Fostex TH-600 or Ultrasone Pro 900(and not Denon D7100)

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
Just got a pair of sennheiser momentums over ears brand new sealed for £125 from a high street exchange shop.

Initial impressions very good but the earcups are beyond tiny ? the cups are even smaller than goldring ns1000 no idea how these are considered over ear ? even tiny ears wouldn't fit in these.

Immediately i noticed the non inline control cable gave a better clearer punchier sound than the one with the remote on..

The sound is very very similar to my goldring ns1000 through an e5 / e6 but with more details less muffled but the same kind of punchy detailed sound sig i like but to me the only thing i am noticing as improved over the ns1000 is clearer mids swapping between the two on the same track the ns1000 sound slightly more veiled.
I'd be taking these back if I paid £260 for them they just aren't THAT much better ( not £200 better ) than the ns1000 to my ears, might change after burn in.

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
I had an urge to compare all my headphones tonight for some reason. (This is not a scientific test)

Playing through the following:-

Marantz CD6000 Ki Sig -> Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 powered by X-PSU.

Anyone who is unfamiliar with the X-can, its a tube amp design.

Headphones

Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser Momentum
Sennheiser HD25-1-ii
Sony MDR-7506
Sennheiser HD495

Basically, after an hour of swapping between them, I put the HD600 and Sony 7506 neck and neck. If push come to shove, the HD600 wins but I did have to turn the volume up 10% when I plug it in as it is harder to drive.

The Momentum is actually most disappointing. In isolation it sounds great, very detailed, nice bass but then you put on either the HD600 and the Sony you realise the Momentum is actually not as open in sounding, it's like the higher end frequencies are muffled a little, its a little but noticeable.

The HD25-ii are good but the least comfortable of the lot. The 495 is the worst of the lot, by quite a margin. It is just not as detailed, full stop, in every regard.

Basically after a while I realise the Sony and the HD600 are the best of the bunch. The kicker is the Sony set me back about £70 and the Momentum was £150 ! The Sony is also more comfortable, just as easy to drive with a more open sound. I am surprised how open the Sony sound considering it is a closed design. The HD600 is truly open sounding, for headphones wise the sound sounds like they are coming from further away than it is (but nowhere near speakers like obviously).

I was a fan of the Sony 7506 before but this is the first time I ever sat down and compared them all back to back. I really don't know how they sell these so cheap considering the HD600 were £300, the Momentums are £200+.

Headphones not tested - HD580 (broken cable and worn ear pads), Goldring NS1000 (AWOL somewhere in the house).

spot on mate these momentums seem a little over priced ? barely better than ns 1000 to my ears in fact I'd say they'd sound almost identical if you put a thin cloth over the momentums to add a bit of muffle to the mids or whichever mod would veil the mids a tad more.I think when they were going for £129-99 is probably about the right price not £250 lol it's the build quality cost I guess.

You can definitely notice more detail mids and slight high end on the momentums over the ns 1000 but the bass and overall clarity are similar or maybe I am just deaf.
They remind me of my ie6 used with comply tips got that smooth warm sounding mid bass like the ns 1000 has, they are more comfortable than the ns1000 though the ns1000 has a slightly fatiguing suction effect on the ears.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The HD600 do take a LOT of driving to get the best out of them in my experience, though your setup isn't exactly shoddy on that front heh.

Had a funny experience a few years back where I was using the HD600s for music, movies, etc. but gaming on a fairly average Plantronic headset which I didn't think was too bad, one day forgot to switch over and mid game was quite puzzled as to why the sound was suddenly so clearer and I was hearing details I'd never heard before not to mention it was so much more immersive - never been able to go back to anything non-sennheiser (gaming targetted headset wise) for gaming since.

I came from Plantronics to Sennheiser 518's and was blown away, I honestly thought good sound was overrated :eek:

I'm already wanting to move onto an even better pair of Sennheisers.

Soldato
Yes. There are other great manufacturers as well to consider, like Beyerdynamic, AKG and Audio Technica, to name a few. It's not like Sennheiser sit at the top of the tree and produce headphones better than any other company.

Soldato
Yes. There are other great manufacturers as well to consider, like Beyerdynamic, AKG and Audio Technica, to name a few. It's not like Sennheiser sit at the top of the tree and produce headphones better than any other company.

Superb but I can't compare to other brands so I don't know where they sit in order of audio quality, as the guy said above this post there are other excellent brands.

I'm thinking of selling the 518's and getting the 598's :)

Cheers

Looks like I have a lot of reading up to do

Associate
currently own Sennheiser pc350 but I do intended to buy Sennheiser RS 180 at some point. also got so Plantronics some where which ones I can't remember as their were bought as a xmas present but a month earlier I had bought my pc350. so I just put the Plantronics in the cupboard never to see the light of day again, unless the pc350 break.

Soldato
I should have some B&W P7s arriving this week. Not sure why I bought them really. I have Sennheiser HD25s and some Unique Melody CIEMs already but I think I want a portable headphone with near audiophile quality sound.

Pics and first impressions to follow.

Soldato
I'm rocking some Fidelio X1's, HD 380 Pros and B&W C5's at the moment. Want to get some Grado SR325i's and IE80's at some point though. Oh and getting a decent dac/amp for home use.

Soldato
P7's? If so I want to try some of those at some point. If they're the P5's I;ve heard good things but on ear isn't my cup of tea :)

(I'm pretty sure that they're P7's though :D)

Soldato
Yeah P7s. They are over-ear and smell of beautiful, fresh leather.:D

So far I'm liking them very much. A very pleasant sonic signature that is easy to listen to. Not audiophile-grade neutrality but then I don't tend to go for headphones with that tonal balance.

I've had a few portables in my time and I'd rate them the best of the bunch so far. They are definitely better than the Ultrasone Edition 8 which was pretty overpriced!

Soldato
Yeah P7s. They are over-ear and smell of beautiful, fresh leather.:D

So far I'm liking them very much. A very pleasant sonic signature that is easy to listen to. Not audiophile-grade neutrality but then I don't tend to go for headphones with that tonal balance.

I've had a few portables in my time and I'd rate them the best of the bunch so far. They are definitely better than the Ultrasone Edition 8 which was pretty overpriced!
I'm still undecided as to whether I prefer IEM's or over ears for walking about. I love the sturdiness of the over ear but you can get some astonishing IEM's these days, and they're way easier to carry around. With IEM's like the ie80's or whatever they're called, where you can replace the cable, it takes the terror out of owning an expensive pair as well!

Back
Top Bottom