AV Receiver and speakers - £400 budget

Soldato
Hi all

After a bit of advice on first AV receiver and speaker set up.

Currently have a Panasonic 42 inch plasma (TXP42X10B - bit old hat but has served me well for four and a bit years) which is used for sky tv, movies (PS3 as a blu-ray player) and occasionally music. Currently just have an old set of Aego M 2.1 speakers hooked up to it.

Looking at spending about £400 but can stretch a little bit.

Room is L shaped and TV is in the narrow part and sit about 8-12ft away from it at a guess. I don't think a full 5.1 set up is particularly viable - sofa is right against the wall and we're in a middle floor flat.

Therefore looking at some bookshelf speakers.

Been browsing Richer Sounds and the Yamaha RXV 375 has caught my eye at £180. Speaker wise, the guy from RS that I spoke to over the phone suggested the Monitor Audio Bronze BX1 again at about £180. This together would leave me with £40 for stands and speaker cables but would be happy to put another £20 to the budget if worthwhile, especially for the stands.

Just wanted people's thoughts really. I'd like an amp that will last a while and the Yamaha seems to fit the bill. Alternative would be the SONY STRDN840 at£199. It's a 350rrp amp whereas the Yamaha is £250 rrp but not sure if that really counts for anything.

Also, I guess choosing two half decent speakers now would give me the option to add two more, a centre and a sub when more practical and be better than a cheaper 5.1 set?

TV is no doubt the weak link once I have sorted the above but that will be solved with 50" of some description in the autumn.

Thoughts / suggestions / alternatives appreciated.

Man of Honour
Monitor Audio Bronze BX1 aren't that great. The BX2's and BX5's are the stars of the range. Don't get me wrong, they're not terrible; far from it. It's just that you can do better. The BX2's are an extra £45 and worth every penny more. If that's a bit of a stretch then Dali Zenzor 1 @ £199

If it was me, I'd have an eye on the future and your plans for going full surround. The matching Dali centre is £211 compared to the matching MA at £134.

On surrounds, only Monitor Audio offers dipole/bipole switchable rear surrounds at sensible money. IMO these type of speakers are far better for surround than the typical small bookshelf speakers.

Good speakers are a long term investment. Buy right and you can keep them through several changes of electronics. That's a good plan and saves money in the long run. You'll also save money in the long run if you start out with the BX2's up front and then decide to go multichannel, plus you'll have great speakers from the word go. :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice, my budget is flexible-ish so I'll take a look at the BX2's, what's another £45 :p.

Pretty set on the amp as it seems to get great reviews and the extra network features on the sony don't really interest me.

Back
Top Bottom