Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Meant to ask, are you using the esata port for the 6th drive, I ask as I am using a DAS on mine, but still wanted 6 internal, so added a little SATA raid card and oh what fun I had getting the SATA cable plugged in properly lol.

Yeh, i'm using the eSATA port for the 6th drive. I was looking at going the DAS route myself, but they're so damn expensive, and with Freenas i'm not sure i'd want to take this little box beyond 6 drives & two shares...

When copying data between two shares the CPU usage hikes right up:

cpusage.PNG

Associate
I have a N40L as a HTPC with a 6450 GPU and 8GB ram but I am having trouble playing MVC 3D films on it due to the processor.

I also have a N54L as a file server, my question is could I switch them over? including all the drives and the OS then put the GPU and extra ram from the N40L to the N54L?

Obviously the GPU won't be an issue but will I have issues with the operating systems and drivers?

N40L is currently running Win 7 64
N54L is currently running WHS 2011

Soldato
I have a N40L as a HTPC with a 6450 GPU and 8GB ram but I am having trouble playing MVC 3D films on it due to the processor.

I also have a N54L as a file server, my question is could I switch them over? including all the drives and the OS then put the GPU and extra ram from the N40L to the N54L?

Obviously the GPU won't be an issue but will I have issues with the operating systems and drivers?

N40L is currently running Win 7 64
N54L is currently running WHS 2011

If I remember the N36l, N40l and N54l all use the same chipset. and only the CPU was upgraded.

So yes - in theory you - you can just switch the drives over.

Associate
Take a look here mate

http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Memory

That's a lot of the reportedly working memory from the N36/40/54L.

I got these but not for that price. I got them from the MM here.

Check out the list as there is loads on there.

Thanks for the link, came across that shortly after seeing your reply.

I remember using a BIOS mod from a chap at AVForums, I have come across a a few variations however, whats everyone else using?

Also, would this fit in the spare bay http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-005-ID - I want to be able to connect the SSD from the internal SATA(ODD) to this and an eSata to Sata to the 3.5" - The SSD will be permanently in place however it looks this may provide a hot swap for the 3.5

Associate
Little help please.

Replaced the 120mm fan on my spare NL36 today with an Akasa AK-FN058. I've done the wire swap using a spare 4 pin fan extension cable as per the guide on silent pc. The fan is spinning, but I'm getting a 'fan missing' warning so I can only assume it's spinning too slowly.

Can someone else with this fan confirm it works ok, I'm sure I spotted it mentioned in this thread. Is it the fact I've got it on an extension lead that's the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Caporegime
Thanks for the link, came across that shortly after seeing your reply.

I remember using a BIOS mod from a chap at AVForums, I have come across a a few variations however, whats everyone else using?

Also, would this fit in the spare bay http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-005-ID - I want to be able to connect the SSD from the internal SATA(ODD) to this and an eSata to Sata to the 3.5" - The SSD will be permanently in place however it looks this may provide a hot swap for the 3.5

I use one of these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-037-BT&groupid=1657&catid=1660&subcat=1670

Soldato
Can someone else with this fan confirm it works ok, I'm sure I spotted it mentioned in this thread. Is it the fact I've got it on an extension lead that's the problem?

I'm pretty sure on mine (N54L) I plugged the fan into the header on the motherboard directly (after using a little knife to carefully shave one of the guide pins as I has to plug in the wrong way around and only into 3 of the 4 pins if I remember rightly)... Spins at 100% all the time but is nice and quiet... I'm not sure if it's that same exact fan or not though - could dig the box out and check if you want?

Associate
Hi uncle_rufus, thanks for the speedy reply. I've just tried a 3 pin fan on my extension cable and that is indeed working fine. I was really hoping that it would work ok on 4 pins (pwm). I suspect it will be the same fan, it's the same as the horrid brown/green camo one, only black. No need to go into the loft, I'll hold fire and see if anyone else is running one in pwm.

How loud is it at 100%? The cable doesn't reach as is it at the moment so I can't test it without removing and rotating it, but I'll give it a go tomorrow if it's nice and quiet.

Soldato
Haha the box isn't in the loft just in a cupboard!!! I'm sure I'll be in there for something at some point

But yeah I think from what I read PWM just flat out doesn't work unless you re-wire the fan or something... Frankly though even at 100% I can barely hear that 120mm fan over the 40mm which I also replaced and is still quite a bit louder

XL5

XL5

Associate
Missed this thread... these two pull most of the weight at home now - I got them both in the last round of cashback offers, last September.

vOweu2Dl.jpg

Both are N54L, 10GB RAM, 4x1TB Disk.

The left runs Hyper-V 2012R2 with 4 VM's on it. The right is a Microsoft DPM 2012R2 Server, hence the tape drive, also attached to the backup server, is a HP MSL2024 tape library.

Back
Top Bottom