4pin CPU fan on a 3pin controller?

Associate
I have a motherboard that seems to have failed on the pin that controls the CPU fan. Just runs flat out. BIOS reports fan RPM as 0 RPM. Same happens with different fans or using the SYS fan header.

So... any problems if I just whack the 4-pin CPU fan onto a 3-pin fan controller? Like one of the Zalman Fan Mate 2 Fan Controller type things?

I'm trying to find a mega cheap option to keep this old machine running for now. Ideally I'd have the control for the fan speed on the outside of the case, but don't think it is worth spending £15 on a fancy controller.

Associate
OP
I have modification tools - dremel, chisel, large hammer, chainsaw - just wanted to check there is nothing iffy about combing an old fan controller with newer tech.

The noise with this fan running at full speed is like a jet engine on full reheat.

Just seen your linkies in your sig. Nice. Gonna have a read... Thanks

Soldato
Yeah it'd be just a nip of plastic removal on the fan connector (or a swap for a 3 way connector) or connector on the zalman.

As long as you don't mind losing a little on the top end a potentiometer and transistor based fan controller could be made for a few quid.

Or you could add 1N4001 diodes in series with the load for a 1p/0.7v drop solution. Add a 2 or 3 position switch and a bit of wiring and you have a basic fan controller.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom