The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Soldato
The trouble with CPU recommendations is all the other factors.

So yes, FSX is CPU megahertz hungry, but if you have multiple applications open along side, including web browsers, maps, utilities etc, then a multicore CPU will help with those other processes. However, FSX won't utilise the extra cores.

The Dash-8 took a different approach and number crunches outside the limitations of FSX. So it should not be jerky on a good PC. Even on my archaic PC, it runs well.

It's well worth taking a backup of your current fsx.cfg. Then start reducing your sliders and see what makes a difference without you noticing. Introduce the recommended tweaks gradually.

In GA flying, the ground scenery is important. If you're flying in-land, then water effects aren't so important. If you're flying 40,000 ft up, then airport traffic isn't important. So maybe think about different saved settings for different scenarios.

Permabanned
I'd really be interested to know how much of a difference the upgrade makes. I'm still running on the old i5 750, OC'd to around 3.9Ghz. In the past I've been happy to fly GA and even with the more detailed payware GA stuff my system has generally managed 30fps as long as I don't go silly with weather and scenery. However, thought I'd dip my toe into more complex aircraft and started off the the Majestic Dash. Needless to say frame rates are dropping to the point where the aircraft movement becomes "jerky". Whilst I can offset this a little by reducing the other sliders it may be the time (and excuse) to upgrade.

Well from my point of view the upgrade has made my FSX experience night and day.

As you can see on my screenshots above - the one in the cockpit is over 50 frames per second and the external shots are over 70 fps.

With my old setup I would have been grateful if the VC frames were over 20 and external around 30.

As I upgraded my CPU and GPU at the same time I cant say for sure which gave me the bigger jump - the 4670k is running 4.4Ghz compared to my old 950 which ran at 3.8 but it also a much newer CPU with improved architecture and IPC
Also upgraded my GTX580 to an overclocked GTX 780 - this card can handle the AA I'm forcing through Nvidia Inspector in any situation with ease whereas my old 580 used to get bogged down in heavy clouds
But obviously these two major upgrades have combined to increase my FSX performance to a place I previously thought was unachievable.

I would never persuade anyone to go out and spend a grand on upgrading their system to get good performance from FSX - as Blue pointed out above everyones mileage with similar setups will be different as it depends on a multitude of factors such as other addons in FSX and your own Windows environment.

Tweak wise all I've added to my FSX.CFG is affinity mask 14, highmemfix and wideaspect.

I'm seeing between 70% - 100% utilization of cores 2,3,4 on my 4670k depending on sim situation - with core 1 being assigned to windows functions and generally remaining idle.

Can't say I've noticed any blurries or stuttering and pretty much all of my sliders are set at very high/max except water which is x2 low and autogen at very dense.

Bear in mind I've no AI traffic installed at this time, this was always a frames killer so I'll see later this week how my system copes with Ultimate Traffic 2

Last edited:
Associate
Haven't posted on here in a while. Been having fun with the 777 in and out of LL and KK with the recent weather in the UK.

s8E7pn.jpg

kahbKL.jpg

UVCdl5.jpg

FK7e67.jpg

Associate
Thank you both for your replies. I think I've got a bit lazy over time, I used to make sure all unnecessary stuff was shut down before running FSX but thinking about it I have all sorts running nowadays. I also like the idea of different settings for different scenarios, will give that a go. I've also got an old laptop, so I could transfer some utilities onto that, like Plan G and run networked.

There are some cracking screenshots being posted - photo quality in many cases. One of these days, I may get somewhere near that level.

Associate
No probs Brian :)

as an added bonus if you run it after landing (if you have the latest version) it will perform the after landing flows for you as well :)

I also would suggest to people using DynamicFriction.lua that is included in the SDK for FSUIPC

This reduces the amount of friction when taxi-ing allowing you to perform much more realistic taxi behavior (I haven't tested this with the q400 though and its possible that this works fine as is, as the FDE is run externally to FSX)

Associate
1, plug in stick
2, load up FSX
3, get someone to hide all credit and debit cards (this one's really important)
4, ask yourself where do you want to go today?
5, enjoy :)

Welcome back

Associate
Hey guys, Just bought FSX Gold waiting for delivery only got mouse and keyboard until I get a stick soon hopefully.

Basically I want to know where I can get mods for better graphics/more planes and information on using FSX to enjoy more. I know this thread is one of the best places.

I know for first few days/weeks I will spend leaving the game I am looking forward to leaving the game I love sim games!
Any information you guys can pass on will be great.

The pictures look fantastic!

Soldato
Some great pics recently. Our very own FSX Utility Developer and some newbies making an appearance. It's all good to see.

There's so much to see / do / download.

Here are the things I use in FSX the mostest:-
iFly 737
Dash 8
PMDG 777
Default Cessna
VFR Scenery
UK2000 Airfields
Rex Essentials Overdrive (for weather) + Rex 4 Texture Direct
Aivlasoft EFB
EZDok Camera
Vatsim / FS UIPC
USB headset with Vatsim
USB Sound mapping software
USB Rudder Pedals
Dual Throttle controls
Yoke / MS Force Feedback Joystick
SSD for quick loading
Additional monitor for external views
Plan G
Vattastic on the web

Not the definitive list, as there's ORBX stuff, new flight planning software, and great planes coming out all the time.

I'm going to attempt to be online tonight for a flight. Who's in?

All you need is FSX, a headset and Mumble Voice Client.

Soldato
If you use 'Windowed Mode', you can download an App that extends a Windows monitor onto an Android tablet or iPad. Then 'undock' the GPS and put it on the tablet. I haven't tried it, so there's no guarantees! :D

Soldato
Problem is if i undock the gps window it disables the internal framerate limiter, i've tried using msi afterburner to limit frames but that method is really choppy for me whereas the internal limiter is smooth.

Back
Top Bottom