64gig SSD Advice

Associate
I'm looking to get a little ssd for my laptop just to kick it back into life but there seem to be a lot of cheap and nasty drives out there

looked at the kingston v300 but heard theyve messed with the nand and slowed it down
looked at the cheaper sandisks but they seem to have reliability issues & u've got to post them to the czech rep when they die

my laptop is only sata II so the top end speed isn't needed, just the access times; what should i be looking at?

thx guys

i'm currently stalking the members market but anything that comes up is usually gone in 15mins, so got to be quick

Soldato
Budget?

You can get a Crucial 120GB M500 for about £55 which is what I'm looking at to get some more out of a Dell D630 I got recently.

Soldato
Corsair force Gt but they are expensive for the size,might be worth going for a 128gb drive

They're a bit too quick for SATA 2, not worth the extra money I don't think. An older generation 120 or 64GB would do nicely if you can get it second hand. Failing that, something like the M400/M500 second hand if you don't want to spend >£40

Soldato
just picked up an ocz vertex 2 80gb off the MM for £35 - not bad imo ;)

Cool, perfect for an old laptop.
i thought OCZ had the worst failure rates of all SSDs??

you can get a new sandisk 128gb for about 50 quid i thought?

i thought most dodgy ssds would go quite early in their life, since this one is 2nd hand i'm hoping that it's a good one ;)

A friend of mine still has a Vertex 2 going strong and my Vertex 3 is still showing 100% health after over 14,000 work hours, 1081 power ups, over 11TB read and 8TB written.

Associate
OP
some early ocz ssd's are ok

youll have to post the results when you install it,remember to use ahci mode in the bios for the sata ports

laptop all fixed up :D

acer 5920 bought as spares and repair & with no hdd for £51
new internal power jack cable & external cable £7
80gb ssd £35

all in for £93 and with the ssd faster than the ones that are currently selling refurbished for £195 :)
the battery is still good too - which did suprise me

anyway - how would you like me to benchmark it?

Back
Top Bottom