Would you buy a house with slow internet?

Soldato
I'm currently in the process of trying to buy my first house with my girlfriend. After many months of searching we have finally found a house that ticks most of our boxes.

After the first viewing we were dead set on making an offer, but before we did I thought I would check to see what the internet speed is like. I was shocked to find out that the estimated speed for the line and location is 0.5 - 1Mbps!

I thought that this must be the providers giving an over cautious estimate so i popped round for a second viewing and asked if I could run a speed test. The result was 0.78Mbps. :(

I've also been in touch with Openreach and there is no plans to upgrade the local cabinets to HTTC Fibre as it is not commercially viable to do so. Seems strange as it isn't even a rural location. :confused:

We are both used to 50+ fibre so it would be a huge drop. We've decided not to put an offer in but I'm a bit worried we are being a bit OTT. I just don't think id be able to cope with a speed that low! We are both fairly heavy users, gaming, torrents, netflix etc and also logging into work remotely from home.

Am I mad or would you do the same?

TLDR - won't buy house because internet speed is pants

Associate
We have just purchased and moved in to our first home, this only has standard ADSL. The previous house we were renting had 120mbps cable so it's going to take a bit of getting used to. You need to look at the rest of the house and the long term and way up the options. Maybe in a few years the speeds may have increased and you might of missed out on your dream home ?

Man of Honour
It would be a big consideration for me unless future prospects looked likely for an upgrade - dropping back from FTTC to reasonable ADSL2+ wouldn't be great but liveable with but below that it would be off the table.

Man of Honour
As above decent ADSL2 would be ok unless cab/exchange was likely soon. Luckily around here it's all VM and far amount of FTTC.

Associate
I bought my house just over a year ago which meant I went from VirginMedia cable (up to 120Mbps) to 2.5Mbps on ADSL. I've installed a BT VDSL iPlate and that has bumped the speed up to a solid 5Mbps.
I find the speed manageable but I do need to make some allowances and queue large downloads for overnight, otherwise web browsing becomes really painful.

OpenReach were supposed to be upgrading my area for FTTC this year but they've pushed it back to 2016 now, bunch of *****!.

Man of Honour
So much is online now, no I wouldn't. Give it a few years and 4g will be rolled out most places. I think many villages will get 4g sooner than fibre.

Soldato
I did. Two years ago. Still waiting to FTTC kick in, it's getting moved back every month despite every site saying I can get it.

1Mbps woohoo!

e: (I only came from 8Mbps).

Last edited:

Soldato
Christ no

Felt like I had lost an arm when we moved and that was going from 100 meg to 14me
Thankfully back up to 80 meg now with FTTC but 0.5 meg I'd rather eat my own arm

Soldato
Depends how suitable the house is and how long you see yourself living there. Technology moves on fast so I'm sure 12-36 months down the line there will be another option for you. It's unlikely to always be the fastest but as long as it's reliable and allows you to do the basics then is it the end of the world?

Back
Top Bottom