Banished - upcoming city-building strategy

Soldato
In what way "the best"?

Obviously there are too many to compare, but 1 has a river and lake right next to your spawn, and a buttload of resources and flat ground to build on.

Its also far easier to type '1' any time you start a new game instead of a long number :p

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Whats your population at the moment? So far I am at about 350 which is the best i have done so far. I was so close to losing half my villagers on a few occasions you really need to keep an eye on all of your resources. Its too easy to concentrate on having enough food and dropping the ball on firewood.

And those pesky nomads each time I let them in they go on a 3 week bender munching through my food reserve and drinking all my beer.

Associate
Obviously there are too many to compare, but 1 has a river and lake right next to your spawn, and a buttload of resources and flat ground to build on.

Its also far easier to type '1' any time you start a new game instead of a long number :p

Ah, I see what you mean.

I was failing to graps whether it was "best for an easy/reliable start" (as it appears to be) or "best for amazing landscape", or something.

My current start is slightly hemmed in by mountains/rivers, so you need to elongate to the south before spreading out.

Has anyone come across a start that's on a genuine island yet? (mid-lake, not just piddly rivers). Not sure if the engine will generate such a start but I think it would be a very interesting challenge.

Associate
I was so close to losing half my villagers on a few occasions you really need to keep an eye on all of your resources. Its too easy to concentrate on having enough food and dropping the ball on firewood.

I've found tool production is the worst. It creeps up on you and then no one has any tools to do anythig, you struggle to mine enough iron or chop trees for wood to rush out more. Building another ironmonger is difficult and your mine is depleted and so need to dig another.

I've currently got about 35,000 food stockpiled but I reckon I should trade a huge chunk of that to get a good couple of thousand tools hoarded.

Associate
a couple of THOUSAND? My Smith's currently capped at 85... should I be looking to boost that? I was thinking he'd hoon through all my iron and leave me none for buildings.

Soldato
I've currently got about 35,000 food stockpiled but I reckon I should trade a huge chunk of that to get a good couple of thousand tools hoarded.

I wouldn't mate, I had 20,000 and still managed to starve, between 20,000 and 0 food I didn't really do much, built 5 or so extra houses and gained 10 or so extra population and then the food just dried out completely. Was frustrating as farms/fisheries were the majority of the food buildings I had, so it's not like the deer or the gatherer foods were all harvested or anything, the civilians just went crazy and ate themselves to death. :(

Associate
Farms are problematic - they are very efficient but quite seasonal (obvs) and a harsh winter/early frost loses you 50% of the year's crop and the stored food just goes, from what I've seen.

I've always noticed quickly enough to buy in a load from a handy trader/chuck everyone at the gathering huts and hunting lodges.

I also tend to drag everyone out of the quarry and mines, as I assume (based on nothing other than 'that's how I would program it' that manual workers eat more food).

Associate
I've found that it helps you plan out your town in advance although I've had issues where my workers just don't transfer the food to the market when there isn't a storage barn.

Could be that there aren't enough vendors

Back
Top Bottom