Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
Im off down to London with the wife in April, any good suggestions to get a coffee and maybe some excellent beans to bring back?

Mainly planing on doing museums and sightseeing, also plan to pop to borough market so any within reasonable walking distance as i would struggle to to justify a tube trip just for a coffee when shes happy with a fruity tea/soft drink.

Check out London coffee guide app. Personal I can recommend kaffeine, prufrock, docasa (opposite prufrock). Square mile or Monmouth are good choices for beans. Enjoy!

Man of Honour
OP
Personally I'm going off Monmouth, flat cap in borough market is (imho) better - although the pour over is good in monmouth.

Current favourites include (in no real order)
Purfrock
workshop
flat white soho
flatcap coffee cart
notes

but tbh there are so many good places around and popping up you can usually find one close to where you are, rather than going too them. A good trip however is heading to either patty and bun or meatliquor and then workshop just off bond street, makes for a good lunch and coffee (just don't try and do it on the weekend unless you wanna queue)

Soldato
Purfrock
workshop
flat white soho
flatcap coffee cart
notes

but tbh there are so many good places around and popping up you can usually find one close to where you are, rather than going too them.
Pretty much what I'd say.

A good trip however is heading to either patty and bun or meatliquor and then workshop just off bond street, makes for a good lunch and coffee.
And I'll echo this in just to emphasise it.... Patty & Bun, then round the corner to Workshop coffee!!! And they're right next to Selfridges for after you've been dragged round Mulberry, Miu Miu, Tiffanys etc...

Associate
Pretty much what I'd say.

And I'll echo this in just to emphasise it.... Patty & Bun, then round the corner to Workshop coffee!!! And they're right next to Selfridges for after you've been dragged round Mulberry, Miu Miu, Tiffanys etc...

Meat Liqour is quite special. Burgers and onion rings are delicious, cocktails are excellent as well. Try the St Lawrence, which is essentially a whisky sour with maple syrup - amazing!

Soldato
Hey all, I've just received my bottomless portafilter for my Silvia from Happydonkey, just after a bit of advice.

The basket itself is much bigger than the original, so should I be putting more coffee in?
Using the standard setup I use about 12-16g but in the bottomless one, that doesn't seem much and on the first go, it went everywhere!

Advice please!!:D

The basket I got with my bottomless portafilter from HD was a triple basket iirc. I just use the standard double with it :)

Soldato
Been using my Gaggia quite a lot recently - got a subscription going with Pact coffee and pretty pleased with it.

I'm still using the original pressurised basket so have just ordered the non-pressurised one, along with some cleaning stuff, a blank basket to help with cleaning and a new tamper (was using the original plastic one). Should hopefully improve things.

Associate
i've had amazing service from happydonkey over the last 10 days or so. i've messed them around a little and bombarded them with emails as i ordered the wrong grinder - they have been so patient and helpful via email I must give them two thumbs up !!

Associate
Well having used 2xDeLonghi ECO310s and returned them both to Tesco, I have ordered for delivery tomorrow a Gaggia Classic (which I always wanted) from the Rainforest Warehouse.

I am hoping mine turns up particularly new as many people have reported.

I don't have a Grinder just yet but it is my 40th very soon so I shall drop some heavy hints.

So what do I need to buy?.

I have a jug and a Thermometer and a 52mm tamper that I will need to replace. I am thinking I will need a Rancilio wand and a 58mm tamper. Anything else I will need immediately?

Man of Honour
Well having used 2xDeLonghi ECO310s and returned them both to Tesco, I have ordered for delivery tomorrow a Gaggia Classic (which I always wanted) from the Rainforest Warehouse.

I am hoping mine turns up particularly new as many people have reported.

I don't have a Grinder just yet but it is my 40th very soon so I shall drop some heavy hints.

So what do I need to buy?.

I have a jug and a Thermometer and a 52mm tamper that I will need to replace. I am thinking I will need a Rancilio wand and a 58mm tamper. Anything else I will need immediately?

Standard 58mm double basket. It's to replace the pressurised one - which is hopeless.

A few bottles of Tesco Ashbeck or Asda Eden Falls water.

Associate
already had to return the basic thermometer as it steamed up and had no indication of heat after about 5 uses. ordered a better one off happydonky - hope it fairs better.

the guys there were really helpful and even sent some coffee and a couple of shot glasses with my order to help me get started with the grinder (i bought a B grade one)

Associate
Well I received my "used" Gaggia Classic yesterday and like many others who have ordered from the Marketplace, my one was also new.

I can't begin to state the huge difference in quality between the Gaggia and the Delonghi ECO310 I had before it.

I will replace the frothing arm shortly with a Sylvia wand from Happy Donkey or elsewhere if I can find it cheaper.

The plastic Tamper is terrible though. I have ordered a tamper mat and this Motta tamper as my last 53mm tamper was a Motta and i quite liked it.

This whole Coffee thing though is becoming an expensive(great) hobby. I have still to get a good quality Grinder, two non pressurised baskets. a knock out box and I am sure I am missing a few things from this list too.

Update: Sylvia wand ordered from myespresso at half the price of HD, non-pressurised double basket and brush too.

Last edited:
Associate
so I've got the bug - just like the rest of you :)

I upgraded the classic wand to the rancillio this morning and wondered if I needed to install the black O ring that is supplied?

I've installed without for the moment but wondered what the correct thing to do is.

Cheers again :)

Associate
Has anyone got a steel filter for their Aeropress? I've been recommended the Able Brewing fine mesh ones, but then I went on Amazon and saw that you can get Crucial steel filters for about half the price.
Anyone tried either one brand or the other? Are they both decent?

Soldato
Few things.

Not sure what it is I am possibly doing wrong but when I get my coffee sub it comes with a little leaflet telling me where it is from and all the flavours that make up the cup. I don't always feel like I am getting them. Once can I really remember a cup being really amazing and hitting every note but most of the time it seems to fall short.
I have a burr grinder and a gaggia classic, I have toned down the pressure some what but haven't got an exact pressure. I usually get left feeling a little underwhelmed I expected more from my machine.

Secondly anyone with the Hasbean coffee sub is that a 250g bag per week? I usually buy a 3 month sub from small batch coffee and that is every other week. The Hasbean one is more expensive and there are two different ones, green and red, what is the difference there?

Soldato
Green sub is for unroasted beans and the bags are 250g.

As for cupping notes, I guess some of it depends on how the coffee is brewed, some of it depends on how good your nose is and some of it depends on how creative the person is that writes the notes!

Associate
i'm having real problems getting any foam out of my new rancilo wand upgrade - mainly bubbly hot milk. im using a cold jug and semi skimmed milk. i'm using a decent thermometer and trying to follow the guides on line.

I don't even seem to be able to get the milk to "roll" or move much.

part of me just wants to put the old gaggia classic turbo frother on as it was so much easier .

any ideas?

Soldato
i'm having real problems getting any foam out of my new rancilo wand upgrade - mainly bubbly hot milk. im using a cold jug and semi skimmed milk. i'm using a decent thermometer and trying to follow the guides on line.

part of me just wants to put the old gaggia classic turbo frother on as it was so much easier .

any ideas?

If you are doing everything as is being done in tutorials etc... then the only thing that could be different is a) the jug or b) the volume of milk - when I have a large volume of milk it is much harder to get it to "roll". **

**I'm no expert.

Man of Honour

any ideas?

One of the best videos I've seen on frothing milk.

http://vimeo.com/63338928

Back
Top Bottom