• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FAO Owners of the Sapphire 290X R9 Tri-X card

Soldato
This is a bit of a N00b question as I'm somewhat confused but I looked it up and there are 2 versions of this card -- one is an OC and the other isn't:

From what I can tell, it's just the clock speed which is different 1010Mhz as opposed to 1040Mhz. Is there anything else?

I've just bought the Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (11226-00-40G) but having just ran GPU-Z it comes up with a clock speed of 1010 Mhz. Thinking I was losing the plot, I checked the OcUK link and I'm certain it said 1040 Mhz but it actually says 1010 Mhz...

So, either:
  1. There's a typo in the title on the product page, or
  2. by default it's under clocked

What clock speeds are your cards running at out of the box and how do I (even if I should be?!) clocking it to the speed it "should" be? I'm presuming the cards are identical and difference is just a factory overclock or do those cards use better components? :o

Associate
well the page for 11226-00-40G has now changed to 1010Mhz on OCUK. (they have forgot to change the product code)

Check your product box I think you may have received 11226-03-40G, which is the lower clocked version. No difference in card at all, just bios is set 30Mhz slower.

Associate
The only difference is the factory overclock - Gibbo made a deal with sapphire to get a load of stock in quickly by agreeing that they don't have to fac-oc them, aside from that it's exactly the same card.

Soldato
OP
That's annoying lol. Yep, the SKU on the box says 11226-03-40G (which is different to the Products page).

So... is that to say I can use the Sapphire TRIXX software and just overclock it to become the OC version? If so, what and how and it is saved in its BIOS or does teh software always have to run in order for it to be run faster than the default?

Associate
That's annoying lol. Yep, the SKU on the box says 11226-03-40G (which is different to the Products page).

So... is that to say I can use the Sapphire TRIXX software and just overclock it to become the OC version? If so, what and how and it is saved in its BIOS or does teh software always have to run in order for it to be run faster than the default?

Yeah you can just use the Trixx to do it, or you can get someone to upload their bios of the factory overclocked card(I've got one but away from home for a few days) and flash just ONE of the settings, keeping one as a backup at all times.

TL:DR - Trixx - you'll need to set it to auto OC when loading into windows, BIOS way is "permanent" and doesn't require tinkering.

Soldato
interesting as OCUK only sell the non OC version in a 290 variant - which has a -03 in title

sounds like you've received a non-OC 290x ? which is not even listed ?

whats the memory clocked at ?

Soldato
weird 1010 also - as stock 290x is 1000 ?

I'd say send back as its the wrong part if the part no. doesn't match

if like the 290 variants - the -03 is a cheaper part

Soldato
not quite the same when you order a pre-clocked version though - it should be ok out of the box

still odd its 1010 rather than 1000 which is stock

batch that aren't clocking as well at stock volts ?

could see why it would be 1000 - but 1010 is just odd

Soldato
OP
the box says 290X and when I registered it with Sapphire (entering the serial number) it comes up as: 11226-03-40G SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 (UEFI)

the 290 (non-X) is probably 1000Mhz, this is definitely 1010Mhz

Associate
I'm another who ordered the OC card and got the 1010Mhz one. I think there are a few of us from a quick glance at some of the recent threads.

I've no intention of returning it - the card clocks up really nicely.

The bigger annoyance to me was that there was no BF4 voucher in the box like stated. I gave my old pc to a mate and wanted the voucher to pass on with it.

Soldato
OP
You've been sent the wrong card then :(

I think so but I don't think I'm going to complain too much.. Its still a 290X Tri-X card and £20 cheaper than the OC variant. Main thing is that it's stable too whichis a relief given the number of complaints I've seen about it too. They should update their stock title on the product page but otherwise the detailed description accurately describes it as a 1010Mhz core clock. Will drop them a quick one liner in a mo...

Back
Top Bottom