any advice for a young artist

Soldato
Are those actual paintings for starters? Some of those look an awful lot like the photoshop cutout filter...

As for business, web presence isn't really the way to go for traditional art. You could potentially get something going with Etsy etc. if you're prepared to swallow their fees/cut.

Associate
OP
oh okay yeah some are paintings and some our adapted Photoshop prints. Normally an original piece will be created and that will feature by itself as an original piece and then we will Photoshop it for a print.

Caporegime
Yeah, try one of the canvas stock sites.

Also try to get some work printed and hung in local cafes, bars etc with a sale price. The bar/cafe will keep something like 10-20% of the sale price typically (try to bargain this amount down and say that the cafe is gaining some artwork for free).

Otherwise there are art fairs and such like that you can attend and try to sell your work at.

But sales will be hard to come by. My aunt is a great artist but she struggles to get many sales despite being very proactive. Same with photography - you can make fantastic fine art photos but you wont get many sales at all unless you magic up a world renowned reputation, or sell things for cheaper on stock sites.

Soldato
Can always try Red Bubble/Soceity6 if you don't mind them taking a cut but they do all the manufacturing for you. Etsy you have to do it yourself but it's another site to use, never used them myself but I don't know how much they take.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice we are trying a looking cafe in our town. I'm also trying a couple of well known online stores

I am considering owning the whole production of the prints and selling them direct if I can muster up enough interest....

Yeah, try one of the canvas stock sites.

Also try to get some work printed and hung in local cafes, bars etc with a sale price. The bar/cafe will keep something like 10-20% of the sale price typically (try to bargain this amount down and say that the cafe is gaining some artwork for free).

Otherwise there are art fairs and such like that you can attend and try to sell your work at.

But sales will be hard to come by. My aunt is a great artist but she struggles to get many sales despite being very proactive. Same with photography - you can make fantastic fine art photos but you wont get many sales at all unless you magic up a world renowned reputation, or sell things for cheaper on stock sites.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom