windows 7 fails to boot

Associate
Right to cut a long story short the pc i built for my son now fails to boot into windows. As i am nolonger living with him its hard to diagnose from things he has told me. Firstly it blue screened with a boot failure detected message due to incorrect configeration so i advised him to load optimised defaults which worked and got it working, but only until he turned pc off and powered it up later. He then got startup repair which failed telling him that the version is not compatible with the version of windows trying to repair. Then the following,

problem signiture02 6.1.7600.16385
problem signiture03 unknown
problem signiture04 21199796
problem signiture 05 autofailover
problem signiture 06 3
problem signiture 07 baddriver
os version 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
locale id 1033

firstly he thinks it might be to do with a windows update but i'm not sure.
None of the system restore points seem to work. Safe mode doesn't work and it won't boot from the original windows installation dvd. i have used a rescue dvd Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 to gain access to the machine and can see all the drives and files etc. i am currently running a scan which should take 3+ hours to complete. I have also made a recovery disc from my windows 7 machine which is fully patched and up to date. Both machines are 64 bit windows 7 home prim versions on intel hardware.

Any assistance would be grateful as he needs the machine back for school work. Its boots as far as the logo screen being created then restarts.

thanks.

Associate
Try checking the registry files in ...

C:\Windows\System32\config\

and then see if you have files in...

C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\

and compare the date/time stamps and file sizes. It may be that live ones in the first folder are corrupted.

You can try taking a backup of the files in the first folder and then copy over the ones from the second folder. Make sure you do take a copy of the orignal ones though. Also if the ones in .\RegBack are a lot older and smaller they'll probably be no good. But if they are from just before the issue started and similar sizes to the live ones then you may be ok.

Associate
OP
Many thanks, i'll try that when i get home tonight and post results. last resort would be a format and re install but i want to avoid that if at all possible.

Associate
OP
Right it's fixed ! Turns out it was just a simple bios setting. When my son did optimised settings it defaulted the sata controllers to ide when they were originally set to ahci.
A simple fix in the end. Machine booted and finished it's system restore. So all ends well, thanks for the advice anyway. Checked just in case all is good.

Back
Top Bottom