What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
tM7v2gU.png

Fitted my 206gti gearknob and new eBay special gaitor to my 306, last one leather so had split and gone manky, tiny bit of a classy upgrade :)
It has a flat top with the gate pattern in, but can't see it in the pic- so shiny!

Soldato
Went on a trackday at brands hatch today. Probably the best one I've ever done: I'd put new tyres on the car which made a big difference to the grip. Driving standards were good as well, other than Tom Chilton who overtook me on the wrong side as I entered a corner, then did the same to the guy in front of me. His GTR sounded immense though....

12881850255_2cebd734f2_c.jpg

Oh, and I managed to ruin a brand new tyre by going sideways onto a kerb :o

12881949333_3a8544378b_c.jpg

Associate
In the middle of using a gasket scraper to to get the old headgasket off

IMG_45001_zps7d77539e.jpg

I was doing the same today, although my head got rebuilt and shaved by a head shop.

I have cleaned up the surface of the block with a razor blade. what else do you reccomend for cleaning up the block surface?

I have blocked the oil return and spray, put some grease at the top of the pistons to catch any dirt but will need to degrease and blow out with an air line.

never done a HG before!

dudenude

Soldato
That tyre doesn't look like kerb damage to me.
It's overheated that's all, pretty standard to do this to "road" tyres when on track.

Scraping the head with a blade and some scotchbrite is all I use, if it needs more than that then it really needs "decking" which is a ball ache. :D

If the sump comes off easily then you haven't got to worry so much about the crap getting down inside it as it will fall straight out the bottom. :D
Just work in a direction away from the holes and blow the rest out with an airline.
Note that a stubby airline blower tends not to get the crap out of deep holes like the head bolt holes, I rig up a bit of brake pipe and make sure that goes to the bottom with the airline attached to the other end.

Soldato
I put some oil in my TT this morning.

Quite a lot as a matter of fact... :eek:

Mine goes through a fair bit of oil between services. I can only assume its probably the aged pcv system causing a bit of oil consumption. As long as it's not filling up the intake or burning in the exhaust from the turbo, I'm not worrying.

Check your gaskets are all alright, the valve cover and half moon/chain tensioner gaskets like to leak. The latter gasket lets out a lot of oil underneath the car!

Soldato
Got a quote for some respray work needed on the 330ci Clubsport. The front bumper needs paint as it's started to peel near the fog lights, the driver side wing is starting to bubble, the passenger side wing has been resprayed by BMW previously but they've done a terrible job of it, and the bonnet has a few stone chips.

£350 + a new wing, should hopefully have it booked in the next few weeks once I've sourced a decent wing.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Removed the glove box, fitted a new pollen filter, fitted new glove box LED. Discovered the glove box light switch is iffy, fixed that with some gaffer tape :D refitted the glove box.

Replaced the sidelights from yellow candles to some Philips Blue Vision Ultra's. They give out a lovely clear crisp white light. Much brighter than the horrible old generic bulbs that were in there previously.

Then gave the car a good wash. During which I discovered I've lost one of my front mudflaps... no idea at what point over the last week that's vanished... so now I'm on an ebay hunt for a new one, bah!

Last edited:
Soldato
Got a quote for some respray work needed on the 330ci Clubsport. The front bumper needs paint as it's started to peel near the fog lights, the driver side wing is starting to bubble, the passenger side wing has been resprayed by BMW previously but they've done a terrible job of it, and the bonnet has a few stone chips.

£350 + a new wing, should hopefully have it booked in the next few weeks once I've sourced a decent wing.

That sounds like an excellent price for that work. I'll need to replace the passenger wing on mine and I'm half tempted to get the bumper/splitter section sorted too as it's got some marks at the lowest point.

very worried about them matching imola red though

Soldato
I guess it's the outside tyre to the track rotation though? Ie on the outside of most corner subject to the most scrub as it's on the steering axle.

It's not on the steering axle - it's on the rear. I assumed the front outside tyre would be the worst for the reason you said, but it looks absolutely fine.

Anyway, definitely going to have to replace it :(

Soldato
That sounds like an excellent price for that work. I'll need to replace the passenger wing on mine and I'm half tempted to get the bumper/splitter section sorted too as it's got some marks at the lowest point.

very worried about them matching imola red though

I was pretty unsure about them being able to match up Velvet Blue and managing to make it look like the original paint (heard it's rather difficult to get the metallic particles to not stand out), but I had a good chat to the guy and he assured me it would be perfect.

They did have a red Nissan GTR in for some spray work on the front and rear bumpers, the job they'd done on that looked impeccable, and they come very highly rated by one of the Midlands best known detailing companies so I feel like I'm in safe hands.

A friend's Audi A5 got keyed last weekend so we've dropped that off to them so will be interesting to see what they come back with, I'll try and get some pics to show the quality of work too :)

Soldato
Anyway, definitely going to have to replace it :(

is it too bad to use on a track again? could keep that set on some other alloys as a track set? ;)

on the weekend I went for a nosey at and a little test drive in a b7 audi a4 2.0t quattro :D felt lovely :D didn't get much chance to open 'er up as it were due to traffic and the surrounding area of the garage but deffo still have much love for it :D thought I think it's already sold as gone from AT, didn't have the split seats in the rear anyway so guess I'll keep looking. good practice looking at cars :)

oh I also removed a random water bottle that's been in my car for a few months that I keep forgetting about and no one owned up to owning... :p (and some litter from the passenger door storage :mad: TAKE YO **** WITH YOU! think I'll adopt the ol' "tesco bag hung over the gear knob" strategy my father used to do in his work audi xD practical.....but not very classy haha! )

Soldato
Oil and filter change, went to fit my PAS cooler but was stopped in my tracks by not being able to drill through the crash bar (name?) to mount it, so I washed it instead.
Also fixed a rattly exhaust heat shield with a tie wrap.

Back
Top Bottom