Damage assessment advice please

Associate
Hey guys, so back in June 2013 I got into a little accident. Anyway, I was only covered by TPFT and the whole process is taking forever, I haven't actually anybody come round to assess the damage to the bike yet and I'd heard that usually isn't something takes all that long. I've called up my insurers/solicitors to ask about progress and what not and it doesn't seem like much progress has been made since October ish which is when I received a copy of the other drivers statement/drawing. Anyway, I really want to get back onto the road and as far as I'm aware I can't go get the bike repaired until it has been assessed but my insurers have told me that the Third Party's insurers will not pay for the bike to be assessed until they HAD to. What I want to try and do is have the bike assessed, sell it and buy another bike. Is it possible to have some sort of independent assessment or something? what are my options, thanks.

Associate
OP
Hmm, I haven't been offered a courtesy bike, I don't think it was part of my policy. I didn't really wanna spend any money on getting another 125. I planned on selling it and buying a CB500 or something similar. My only option is to wait then?

VoG

VoG

Soldato
My only option is to wait then?

I'm afraid so, as your only TPFT your in the hands of their insurers, who will drag their heals right up until the very last moment they can get away with, if the police are involved ( your post is a little thin on detail ), their insurers will wait till after any court case to confirm the level of blame apportioned to their client, & then they'll adjust their offer to you accordingly.

Soldato
If you are claiming from a third party insurance because the accident was not your fault, then you may be ably to employ the services of a claims management company. This will speed things up no end as the third party insurers have to cover their costs as well, so the longer it take to settle the more expensive it will be.

However this is only going to work if the other driver is clearly at fault.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Who is your insurer? I had a off in november and only awaiting injury claim. It should not take this long. Badger them everyday and get the name of the claims handler.

Soldato
Also consider getting their ombudsman involved... and actually tell the insurance that you're looking to do so.
Amazing how quickly stuff happens when you do that!!

Soldato
Hmm, I haven't been offered a courtesy bike, I don't think it was part of my policy. I didn't really wanna spend any money on getting another 125. I planned on selling it and buying a CB500 or something similar. My only option is to wait then?

Courtesy bike wasn't part of my policy, but they called me on the day and asked if I needed transport. Couple of days later I had a Bandit 650 which they've assured me I won't be charged for even if it goes 50/50. Had the thing for over a month now

I'm afraid so, as your only TPFT your in the hands of their insurers, who will drag their heals right up until the very last moment they can get away with, if the police are involved ( your post is a little thin on detail ), their insurers will wait till after any court case to confirm the level of blame apportioned to their client, & then they'll adjust their offer to you accordingly.

My insurers have been surprisingly very good. My accident was a month ago now. I got a courtesy bike within a couple of days even though it doesn't state that on my policy and they have authorised repair on my bike and are waiting for parts. Basically the third party insurer hasn't officially accepted liability, but have agreed to paid for the bike which, according to my case handler basically means they don't think they have a case against me.

Granted I'm sure this is all slower that it could be, but I think I've made pretty good progress in the month.

I'm with BikeSure. All this is being handled through Biker Legal Defence.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a courtesy bike within a couple of days even though it doesn't state that on my policy and they have authorised repair on my bike and are waiting for parts. Basically the third party insurer hasn't officially accepted liability, but have agreed to paid for the bike which, according to my case handler basically means they don't think they have a case against me.

That part happened pretty quick for me too, although it was still about 3 months before the cheque arrived.

The injury and personal losses claims are still going on.

Soldato
That part happened pretty quick for me too, although it was still about 3 months before the cheque arrived.

The injury and personal losses claims are still going on.

Hmm, hopefully not the same for me, really want to get back on my Hornet! They have said they're ordering parts now so surely can't be long :(.

Soldato
Mine was a "write-off", though and there was some debate about the bike value.

In the end, I just bought some parts, fixed it up with a friend of mine and got it back to awesome condition for less than a fifth of what they reckoned the repairs would have cost (hence them writing it off instead)!!

Associate
Also consider getting their ombudsman involved... and actually tell the insurance that you're looking to do so.
Amazing how quickly stuff happens when you do that!!

The ombudsman will only get involved if you've followed their complaints procedure first, you can't just get the ombudsman involved to speed things up.

Get details of their complaints procedure and initiate it.

Once this has been followed, you can lodge a case with the ombudsman (which incidentally costs the insurer a non refundable £500 charge).

Courtesy bike wasn't part of my policy, but they called me on the day and asked if I needed transport. Couple of days later I had a Bandit 650 which they've assured me I won't be charged for even if it goes 50/50. Had the thing for over a month now

My insurers have been surprisingly very good. My accident was a month ago now. I got a courtesy bike within a couple of days even though it doesn't state that on my policy and they have authorised repair on my bike and are waiting for parts. Basically the third party insurer hasn't officially accepted liability, but have agreed to paid for the bike which, according to my case handler basically means they don't think they have a case against me.

Granted I'm sure this is all slower that it could be, but I think I've made pretty good progress in the month.

I'm with BikeSure. All this is being handled through Biker Legal Defence.

I would be very careful of taking a courtesy bike on TPFT, the document you sign will state that if the costs are not recoverable from insurance, you will have to pay. This means if you don't get a no fault judgement, you will be liable for whatever % is your fault.

On FC, this issue is irrelevant, however you will obviously need to take good care of the bike as you are liable for any damage to it whilst in your care. (This will not be recoverable from your claim costs).

Back
Top Bottom