Paying Tax on a one off payment

Soldato
If it means that much to you.

Well it's true, isn't it? People think illegal and legal are synonyms for right and wrong, and it's a bad habit a lot of people have got themselves in to.

The tax system is only there should an individual "choose" to work within the legal system.
There is no law that says you have to declare any income, in fact there is no law that says you have to even pay tax.
It is just automatically taken out of your earnings, simply because you are working within their tax system.

I wouldn't even bother declaring it, it's none of their business.

You sound like a free-man on the land...

Soldato
Well it's true, isn't it? People think illegal and legal are synonyms for right and wrong, and it's a bad habit a lot of people have got themselves in

I never said you were wrong. I was implying I don't care that much.

If I want informed debate about tax GD isn't where I'd go, no offence.

Caporegime
The tax system is only there should an individual "choose" to work within the legal system.
There is no law that says you have to declare any income, in fact there is no law that says you have to even pay tax.
It is just automatically taken out of your earnings, simply because you are working within their tax system.

'Their' tax system? What does this mean?

Soldato

Hmmm suggest you look up ICTA 1988, ITEPA 2003, ITA 2007 for starters. Pretty sure they count as laws and they sure as hell say you have to pay tax in a vast number of circumstances!

Soldato

Tell that to the judge eh?

@OP: if your dad is retired unless he's on a substantial pension then £3000 is below the tax threshold iirc, declare it to be au fait with the taxman, but I doubt I he'll have to actually pay anything.

disclaimer: I am not a tax expert, just someone with some experience in such things, albeit a few years ago now.

Associate
To be as accurate as possible you'd presumably split the £3,000 based on how much work each of you did, or 50% as you both likely expected when agreeing to do this work together and each declare £1500 income.

Getting your dad to claim £3000 and then 'gift' £1500 to you would be quite iffy if HMRC noticed, as it is quite clearly abusing the system to avoid paying tax. (Not sure if it would count as evasion?).

Even if it is only tax avoidance the General Anti Abuse Rule (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/avoidance/gaar.htm) means you may be forced to pay the tax anyway.

Soldato
OP
Out of interest how does the hmrc detect if someone fails to pay tax? As I tick all the boxes being employed. I presume the taxman would have to investigate the company paying for this one off work

Soldato
Out of interest how does the hmrc detect if someone fails to pay tax? As I tick all the boxes being employed. I presume the taxman would have to investigate the company paying for this one off work

They don't, really. Unless someone tells them that you've done it, or you're running a company and your accountancy is dodgy to the point that they can pick up on it.

Soldato
The joys of having 5+ different sources of income and being too stubborn to pay an accountant to do all this crap, is you begin to twitch at the sight of the word tax.

Order a pack and do a self assessment by 31 October. You have the added bonus of it being only one payment on top of your presumably PAYE taxed income from your job, it's incredibly simple, an old biddy could do it.

Cash in hand, well, if you want to risk it, go for it. I never would, I pay my dues same as the next man.

Man of Honour
Is your father domiciled in Portugal? If he is then surely he doesn't need to pay UK tax on any income (he may have to pay something to the Portuguese government of course).

Or am I wrong?

Back
Top Bottom