Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Associate
I would love to have the surgery but being -11.5 and -12.5 in my eyes (as per the last appointment before Xmas) there doesn't seem to be any chance that I could :(

The only thing possible would be to have a partial correction (to bring my prescription down to -5/-6 ish) and continue with contacts and glasses, but my optician said that it is not recommended to have partial corrections...has anyone had one?

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I would love to have the surgery but being -11.5 and -12.5 in my eyes (as per the last appointment before Xmas) there doesn't seem to be any chance that I could :(

The only thing possible would be to have a partial correction (to bring my prescription down to -5/-6 ish) and continue with contacts and glasses, but my optician said that it is not recommended to have partial corrections...has anyone had one?

My prescription was about -11 combined when I had laser eye surgery. I came out with better than 20:20.

It's been a while now but I think it depends on how thick the layer is that they burn off to correct your vision. Mine was quite thin so was borderline.

Soldato
Im about 500+ miles away so :p, who are they anyway?

The two best surgeons from what I can gather are Mr Julian Stevens (Moorfields) and Professor Dan Reinstein (London Vision Clinic) and are both based in London. Why not pop down and see what they say, 500 miles isn't that far ;)

Soldato
Got my appointment booked for 24th Feb all being well. Eek.

Took out the 24mths interest free as there really wasn't a reason not too. Can pay the whole thing off at any time, so may do that later in the year. Will cost about £98 a month, so not cheap but hopefully worth it.

Soldato
So I had my treatment done yesterday!

Went well. I got a bit freaked out when they suctioned the eye to create the flap. Went completely blind (not like closing your eyes darkness, but a thick grey mist) for about a minute, or at least it felt like that. Kept asking the surgeon, "is this normal? is this normal?". But thankfully it all went well.

Surprisingly, I had no pain at all even after the procedure. Thought I would have a minor headache or pressure behind the eyes, but nothing so that was good.

My vision is apparently 20/20, however, it doesn't feel as clear as wearing my glasses just yet. The glare is probably causing this, as anything with light emitting from it has the effect of looking through vaseline or something. Hopefully over the next few weeks it'll improve.

My right eye looks sharper than my left at the minute. I realise we all have dominant eyes, but again I think this will improve over the weeks.

My eyes both have blood blotches on them which makes me look possessed or something. This should disappear in a week or two, but I'm sure it looks bad to other people!

Soldato
So I had my treatment done yesterday!

Went well. I got a bit freaked out when they suctioned the eye to create the flap. Went completely blind (not like closing your eyes darkness, but a thick grey mist) for about a minute, or at least it felt like that. Kept asking the surgeon, "is this normal? is this normal?". But thankfully it all went well.

Surprisingly, I had no pain at all even after the procedure. Thought I would have a minor headache or pressure behind the eyes, but nothing so that was good.

My vision is apparently 20/20, however, it doesn't feel as clear as wearing my glasses just yet. The glare is probably causing this, as anything with light emitting from it has the effect of looking through vaseline or something. Hopefully over the next few weeks it'll improve.

My right eye looks sharper than my left at the minute. I realise we all have dominant eyes, but again I think this will improve over the weeks.

My eyes both have blood blotches on them which makes me look possessed or something. This should disappear in a week or two, but I'm sure it looks bad to other people!

well done and good luck with your recovery.
dont forget to update us!

Associate
The two best surgeons from what I can gather are Mr Julian Stevens (Moorfields) and Professor Dan Reinstein (London Vision Clinic) and are both based in London. Why not pop down and see what they say, 500 miles isn't that far ;)

Yep. Had mine done at the London Vision Clinic. This was after previously being told I was unsuitable at a different clinic. LoVC stated I was well within their capabilities and safety margin. Cost and arm and a third leg though!

Better than 20/20 vision now :)

Soldato
I've got a different issue in as much as my eyesight is "plano" but I have a real problem with floaters in my vision. It's getting really annoying now. I read that a London Hospital has now started zapping them with a new form of laser, anyone here had this done?

Associate
I'm thinking of getting laser treatment, maybe in about a year or so when I have a little more cash. Can I ask what anyone has done with regard to their driving licences? I noticed recently that I have the "requires corrective lenses" code on my licence, which I don't remember ticking the box for at the time I took my test - I'm actually wondering if the DVLA have somehow made a mistake. That doesn't currently matter too much though as I always wear my glasses whilst driving anyway, but after laser treatment I won't need them anymore so do I have to write to the DVLA telling them this? Will they take my word (and receipt) for it or require me to take a new driving test?

Associate
They would just want to see evidence of your latest eye test I would image
They won't make you take your driving test again!

I would consider eye surgery but at 18 I think I want it give it a few more years to be sure my eyes aren't going to change
Any contact lenses I have don't really agree with me as they are never what you would call comfortable and not at clear as with my glasses
I have only ever gotten them from Specsavers but I have an appointment at the contact lens practice in Birmingham tomorrow to hopefully get fitted properly for some decent lenses! Specsavers have always been useless
Very tempted by these ortho-k lenses which you only wear over night and remove then during the day! See how I get on

Soldato
Well its be over a week since the surgery.

Haven't really had any problems, no pain or anything like that. I have noticed, however, that my left eye is weaker at distance but stronger close up, compared to my right eye thats sharp at distance but blurrier up close.

The left is oddly fine first thing in the morning. It can see distance objects quite well. So I guess it could be the dryness thats affecting it more than the right at the moment.

Hopefully its just the eyes trying to balance themselves out and it wasn't an undercorrection. My next checkup is next Monday, so I'll be sure to ask.

Associate
Can't remember if I've posted in this thread before but another massive thumbs up for the London Vision Clinic. Had keyhole lasik back in June last year and can honestly say it was the best decision of my life. Yes LVC is not cheap but Dr Dan and his team are great and I don't regret spending the money one bit.

Reading some of the recent comments in this thread about the suction being painful - my experience is completely different. No pain whatsoever, just a mild discomfort/odd sensation. I did have keyhole lasik though so no flap was cut.

Eyes had healed within 24hours and I was cleared to go about life as usual.

Soldato
Had my first consultation yesterday. All good for Lasik :)
However, there is so much choice and competition around here, not sure who to go with. Seeing another Dr today (basically the two top rated in the city) - guess it comes down to what offers they both are having.
Pretty excited either way, should have it complete by the end of the month if all checks out :D

Associate
When i went for my last eye test i asked spec savers about laser surgery and they said because I have a stigmatism and long sighted it wouldnt work on me? Has anyone else had it done with a stigmatism and long/short sighted? I hate wearing glasses with a passion, especialy when they are scratched and everytime you go into a warm room they steam up ggrr

Back
Top Bottom