Would a 1200w Platinum PSU give more Earth Leakage then a 650w gold?

Soldato
hi all

here is the scenario

i have 2 mining rigs in one room

1 is running a superflower 650w (gold)+ antec 750w (gold) psu for 4x 280x
1 is running a superflower 1200w (plat) for 2x 280x

having an issue at the moment, using the superflower 1200w platinum to power 2 280x GPU in the mining rig and my mains power keeps tripping

now before the superflower 1200w platinum i was using a superflower 650w gold on the same machine (nothing changed) and all was ok

i thought psus are supposed to use what it needs

any ideas? is it because ive upgraded to a 1200w psu it using more amps on the circuit?

ive tried the superflower 1200w platinum with just 1 280x in the rig and the same happens (trips), also happens overnight

could this be a faulty psu? or do the 1200w have more earth leakage than the 650w causing my RCD to trip?

Last edited:
Associate
dunno if it helps you here but each socket can take about 3kw (13 amp fuse) and the ring main in most houses will allow up to 7kw (30 amp) before a fuse blows at the main box - what else have you got plugged in?

I can't imagine you've got 7kw+ of electrical stuff plugged in.

Soldato
OP
thanks mate, it does really boggle my mind this!

in the house, we have quite a few electrical equipment, 2 fridge freezers, 2 plasmas, 3 other LED tvs, consoles, pcs, routers, switches, cctv dvr, media servers, sky receivers, dryer etc

but not all in one room lol

even overnight when most of the appliances are off the power trips, this has only happened regularly since installing the 1200w superflower last friday

last night for example it happened twice

before the 1200w i used a 650w and the power used to go off about once a week at the most

im trying to rule out the 1200w psu, its their top of the range so i hope its not this

ive now switched off the rig powered by the 1200w so will see today what happens, if all is ok then i will swap the 650w psu back to it and test again

Soldato
kitchen 1 ring main and the rest of the house another, pretty sure this will be what yours is. the main items that use the most power are all in the kitchen. Fridgefreezer , washer , dryers can go upto 2.5kw!

all the little items you listen like LCD tvs , cctv , router will use hardly any power.

I have on one double socket a 2300w condenser dryer & around 1000w of pc plugged in, no problems what so ever , its probably the psu its self, theres no way its overloading

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks mate

got a sparky coming on Saturday to check things over, will get a new circuit put in for my garage as the rigs will eventually go in there but also need to sort out whats going on in the house at the same time

Associate
from what i recall eu standards say an acceptable earth leak from a psu is around 3.5mA; 3 psus should be nowhere near tripping the rcd

so either the psu is broken which seems likely as you say it worked with at 650w in there or theres a fault in your system somewhere.

btw when you say it was working fine with a 650w psu, is that the one that is now in the other rig? have you gone from 2 to 3 psus? if so you may find that you have a dodgy applicance somewhere that was leaking a lot but not enough to trip - then adding the 3rd psu pushes it over the limit. Have you tried unplugging other stuff in the house?

Soldato
OP
from what i recall eu standards say an acceptable earth leak from a psu is around 3.5mA; 3 psus should be nowhere near tripping the rcd

so either the psu is broken which seems likely as you say it worked with at 650w in there or theres a fault in your system somewhere.

btw when you say it was working fine with a 650w psu, is that the one that is now in the other rig? have you gone from 2 to 3 psus? if so you may find that you have a dodgy applicance somewhere that was leaking a lot but not enough to trip - then adding the 3rd psu pushes it over the limit. Have you tried unplugging other stuff in the house?

hi mate

the 650+750 one has always worked and not being touched

its the 650w rig im playing with, it worked fine with 650w and 2x 280x

i want to add 2 more cards so i bought a 1200w psu, tried with 1200w and 2x 280x and trips, tried with 1 280x and trips

its been off since 7am today and no trip yet....

Associate
hi mate

the 650+750 one has always worked and not being touched

its the 650w rig im playing with, it worked fine with 650w and 2x 280x

i want to add 2 more cards so i bought a 1200w psu, tried with 1200w and 2x 280x and trips, tried with 1 280x and trips

its been off since 7am today and no trip yet....

ok but it still may be the case that there is an underlying problem somewhere else in the house; the new psu may have a slightly higher earth leakage that might be pushing the rcd over its limit - but the reason its near its limit in the first place may not be the psu.

i've read that 3 times and i think it makes sense :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ok, something interesting happened yesterday

power went off about 8 times throughout the day

i got miffed and unplugged my mining rigs and what do you know, the power went off about 10mins later!

ran around the house and managed to work out that unplugging a satellite receiver we have in a bedroom has fixed it i think, well i could hear a psu whine/high pitch noise coming from it

my 2 rigs been on full power since yesterday at 5pm and not one hiccup yet1

fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom