Door locks - replacement advice needed

Soldato
Should be able to drill screw body out carefully, as the thread is in the cylinder, so you only need to go deep enough to enable you to remove the cylinder.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there enough room to get a junior hacksaw blade in there? The bolts are usually not hardened and pretty easy to cut.

If you really struggle to remove it you could try snapping the lock.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there enough room to get a junior hacksaw blade in there? The bolts are usually not hardened and pretty easy to cut.

If you really struggle to remove it you could try snapping the lock.

No room to get a hack saw in. I don't want to snap the lock as I'm then committed and if I still can't get it out I'm left with an un secure door.

Associate
Seems to be a very common problem. I used a wood drill bit with a point. Made a small dent on the outside edge of the screwhead, then hit the drill bit with a hammer at an angle forcing the screw round. Came out easily after that, and no mess. Probably worth giving that a go first.

Soldato
Got some cheap screw extractors from Screwfix but made no difference.

Managed to drill the whole head off and some of the screw inside. Not enough to be able to slide the cylinder out so need to keep drilling a bit more until it will eventually slide out.

What a pain this has been. I don't think anyone goes round my area snapping locks but want it done for peace of mind after hearing about it.

Man of Honour
Got some cheap screw extractors from Screwfix but made no difference.

Managed to drill the whole head off and some of the screw inside. Not enough to be able to slide the cylinder out so need to keep drilling a bit more until it will eventually slide out.

What a pain this has been. I don't think anyone goes round my area snapping locks but want it done for peace of mind after hearing about it.

unless you live in **** hole west Yorkshire I wouldn't be too paranoid about lock snapping

Associate
I'm probably being a dunce here, but what difference does an internal thumbturn make to a lockout scenario?

DISCLAIMER
ABS Thumbturn cylinders should NEVER be used on locks with a latching action i.e. where the door automatically locks when closed (as a lockout may occur). In these application an ABS double cylinder should be installed. ABS Thumbturn cylinders can be used for lift handle/key to lock action doors without risk of lockout.

If the door locks behind you and you have no key, you're still locked out, thumbturn or not.

I was going to replace the cylinders on my porch doors, back door and bi-fold doors with ABS ones, each with internal thumbturns and a shared key. It interesting what they say about informing your house insurance, though.

Last edited:
Associate
Because we have just fitted ABS thumb turn locks and there is a position the thumb turn can be set to which means you can not open the door from the outside even if you have a key. Therefore if the door was latched you could find yourself locked out even with the key in your hand.

Soldato
Because we have just fitted ABS thumb turn locks and there is a position the thumb turn can be set to which means you can not open the door from the outside even if you have a key. Therefore if the door was latched you could find yourself locked out even with the key in your hand.

It's a pain in the bum when you accidentally hit the thumb screw as you close the door because it won't lock properly and you have to open the door and turn the screw back to vertical.

Associate
We've only had our thumbturn a couple of weeks, but I can't say we've encountered any of those problems.

Anyway, partly due to this thread, I've now spent £200 on new locks. :)

Whilst I was hunting for prices, I came across several suppliers offering lock replacement services and the prices!? £75 to exchange one cylinder!

I removed, measured and refitted 3 cylinders in under 20 minutes. I think I've found a new career! ;)

Soldato
Wow I didn't realise that changing locks could be so difficult. I replaced three of mine, all of varying sizes, very easily. All thumb turn goodness now :p I didn't know you could position the thumb turn to make it inaccessible from outside with key though.

Soldato
Wow I didn't realise that changing locks could be so difficult. I replaced three of mine, all of varying sizes, very easily. All thumb turn goodness now :p I didn't know you could position the thumb turn to make it inaccessible from outside with key though.

Screw head sripped when I tried to remove old lock, tried using a screw extractor but the head then snapped off. Had to drill the screw out which was a pain and took ages.

Couldn't take the handle off either as the screws on the inside (none on the outside) were so tight they would have just sripped aswell if I tried.

Should be easy enough now should I want to change it to a 30/30 lock and keep the 35/35 for when I replace the wooden back door for PVC. :D

Back
Top Bottom