Anyone here done Fiji?

Soldato
Going out of my mind trying to find hotels for Fiji for my honeymoon in June.

Anyone here been there and been to anywhere that might not be so popular and showing on sites like trip advisor.

Prefer smaller resorts, nothing big name, 20 or less rooms preferably. Not bothered about all inclusive, definitely no kids! Needs to have excellent snorkelling but thats almost all of Fiji ;)

Going for 20 nights, have an average budget of £250/night. More than happy to "slum" it in cheaper resorts for the first 10 days in order to go all out for the last 10 days.

I've been before, stayed in these two places http://www.nanuyafiji.com/ and http://matangiisland.com/ even though the latter was almost 4 times the price of the first, I preferred the first one.

Associate
Went to visit people on a round the world sailing trip there, stayed on the mainland and then again at Musket Cove in Malolo Lailai. Honestly the best time i've ever had in all my travels, awesome place for switching off and relaxing. The snorkelling was out of this world also if that's your sort of thing :)

Amazingly friendly people too, once you tell the staff your name once they'll remember it for your whole holiday, even if you don't see them from day 1 to the end.

Soldato
OP
I can't help much but I stayed on Nanuya Island and loved it. The boat transfer out there was horrific though.

Yasawa Flyer?

I loved it, 5 hours sat on the top deck watching all the islands go past, honestly felt like a couple of hours.

Where the hell's Fiji? Near Florida?

Opposite side of the planet pretty much, 25 hour flights.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x6e1990fd703cdc5d:0x9e9c319946ef5b93

Went to visit people on a round the world sailing trip there, stayed on the mainland and then again at Musket Cove in Malolo Lailai. Honestly the best time i've ever had in all my travels, awesome place for switching off and relaxing. The snorkelling was out of this world also if that's your sort of thing :)

Amazingly friendly people too, once you tell the staff your name once they'll remember it for your whole holiday, even if you don't see them from day 1 to the end.

Snorkelling is a must for me, normally spend a good 2/3 hours in the water each day looking at the fishies :D The snorkelling at Nanuya was amazing.

I know what you mean about the people, they remember your name and all are genuinely friendly. The amount of Fijians that would just start chatting with us was crazy, even on the main island. Was always waiting for the sell angle but they're all just friendly.

Soldato
OP
That's the one. I was there a few days after a cyclone had passed through which resulted it ridiculously choppy sea. Getting air over every wave was fun for about 5 minutes but when the crew are throwing up you know it's not going well.

LOL...makes sense why you hated it then.

We were lucky enough to have a clear blue sky the whole time and calm seas. I don't think i've ever eaten so many ice creams in such a short period though :D

Soldato
Went to Fiji for 4 nights I think after doing Australia and New Zealand and wasn't impressed in the least to be honest!

The resort was OK (Outrigger on the Lagoon) but the rest of the island just looked like a run-down third world country! (what I saw of it anyway!)

No roads to speak of, smashed up cars and trucks flying around (saw 3 crashes while we were there and that was only to and from the Airport!) and, bizarrely, there are what amount to mud huts at the side of the road with no glass in the windows....but whacking great plasma TV's perched on the wall!?!?!?! :eek:

I wouldn't go back tbh - MUCH preferred Hawaii (Oahu)

Probably didn't help that we went when there was some upheaval with the government but even without the armed police/militia at every crossing, I doubt I'd have enjoyed it!

Soldato
I did island hopping for just over 2 weeks there when I went travelling. Great place. Very much back to basics on some of the islands in that there might be little or no electricity and not much to do.

Great if you want to relax and chill out. Think I did about 5-6 of the islands with a few friends i'd met travelling and had a blast. Played lots of beach volleyball, lazed around in the sun, did a bit of fishing with the villagers and went over to one of the larger islands and spent a day in a village and at the local school.

The main land around Nadi was a bit of a dump and there isn't much to do there iirc.

I can't remember what the situation was with food and drink, pretty sure some of the places we stayed had some meals included and you just bought your food and drink at each island (from their limited supply/selection).

If you're over that side of the world i'd definitely recommend it, I flew there from NZ. I wouldn't travel from the UK straight there as its pretty much about as far away as possible you can fly without starting to get closer to home.

Soldato
OP
If you're over that side of the world i'd definitely recommend it, I flew there from NZ. I wouldn't travel from the UK straight there as its pretty much about as far away as possible you can fly without starting to get closer to home.

We're doing LHR to Hong Kong to Nadi, with just 90 minutes at Hong Kong :D

Soldato
I did island hopping for just over 2 weeks there when I went travelling. Great place. Very much back to basics on some of the islands in that there might be little or no electricity and not much to do.

Great if you want to relax and chill out. Think I did about 5-6 of the islands with a few friends i'd met travelling and had a blast. Played lots of beach volleyball, lazed around in the sun, did a bit of fishing with the villagers and went over to one of the larger islands and spent a day in a village and at the local school.

The main land around Nadi was a bit of a dump and there isn't much to do there iirc.

I can't remember what the situation was with food and drink, pretty sure some of the places we stayed had some meals included and you just bought your food and drink at each island (from their limited supply/selection).

I can vouch for this, in 2009 I did an awesome adventures tour 'tropical awegasm' full monty, with one extra island thrown in for a bit extra. http://www.fiji.travel/activity/tropical-awegasm-12-days-11-nights-6-islands

One of the best things I have ever done and would love to do it again. I bought a litre of rum to last me 3 or 4 days, I arrived the first day on an island that took me 55 seconds to cross - polished off the whole bottle with a guy I met before night time :) (he bought another bottle a couple of days later) Can't beat going to places like this

If you get the chance to do things with locals like help them fish, go to church, kava ceremonies, play Vindi bindi etc. DO IT Also, make sure you do castaway island (It was all inclusive drink when I did it which made it pretty fun)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I can vouch for this, in 2009 I did an awesome adventures tour 'tropical awegasm' full monty, with one extra island thrown in for a bit extra. http://www.fiji.travel/activity/tropical-awegasm-12-days-11-nights-6-islands

One of the best things I have ever done and would love to do it again. I bought a litre of rum to last me 3 or 4 days, I arrived the first day on an island that took me 55 seconds to cross - polished off the whole bottle with a guy I met before night time :) (he bought another bottle a couple of days later) Can't beat going to places like this

If you get the chance to do things with locals like help them fish, go to church, kava ceremonies, play Vindi bindi etc. DO IT Also, make sure you do castaway island (It was all inclusive drink when I did it which made it pretty fun)

I think we did castaway island as a daytrip last time over, was pretty good from what I can remember of it.

I think i've nailed it down, we're going 7 days over at Taveuni then back to the Yasawa's for the last part of the holiday. Travelled a fair bit in my life and nothing even comes remotely close to the Yasawa islands.

Soldato
Snap, was a day trip too. Korovou I think was amazing and Wayalala. One of the activities was learning to fish - It turned out only me and one dutch person was doing it so they sacked off the training and we went out with 3 locals in their boat fishing... for 6 hours!! literally catching all the food to feed all tourists in the one building that night. Fantastic experience that will never be forgotten

htrugZr.jpg.png

1leBEo2.jpg.png

Whilst im in the Fiji pics folder...

zOI6Nde.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I reckon you don't even need a line, fish seem so tame I reckon you could just snorkel and grab them.

Careful though, you could grab a shark (There's a photo of me in the sea at night and you can clearly see a couple of small sharks, reef i think) Also lots of stingray lurking

Soldato
OP
Careful though, you could grab a shark (There's a photo of me in the sea at night and you can clearly see a couple of small sharks, reef i think) Also lots of stingray lurking

When I was at Matangi I used to get up before sunrise, stand in the shallows and watch the sun come up. One morning I looked down to see a 2 foot reef shark swimming around my feet. Didn't panic, know they're fairly harmless but one of those moments you don't forget.

Also at Nanuya, there is a coral garden with a swimthrough if you go down about 4 metres bit of a tunnel. Decided to swim through. Got to the other side, got some air, went back down to swim back, there were 2 lionfish in there that i'd miraculously missed the first time.

Soldato
ha ha, amazing. Seeing different (potentially harmful) things is fun. For me, deep water soloing (climbing about the sea then jumping off) in Thailand was one - getting about 10 meters up, just about to jump off and spot 2 sea snakes below. I tried to climb around but fell anyway. Or swimming above a stingray then noticing it whilst pretty much on top of it - luckily it didn't Steve Irwin me

Back
Top Bottom