What phone for workforce....

Soldato
Get a WP8 to test and use it as much as possible. If you haven't decided it's garbage after a week ill find a hat to eat.

Assuming that is that it lasts a week before you throw it out a window having accidentally sent yet another half written email!
Did Bill Gates sleep with your girlfriend/boyfriend or something, you seem very bitter. ;) :D

Associate
RcINpbY.png

^ This, Thanks!

I actually own a Nexus 7, but there's zero chance I'd put my Paypal info on it! my brother did, they got his bank account number (Lloyds) and even went as far as to phone the bank up to try to change his memorable information password. Luckily Lloyds said no. So as a work phone, I can't see why anyone would even consider Android.

Soldato
RcINpbY.png

^ This, Thanks!

I actually own a Nexus 7, but there's zero chance I'd put my Paypal info on it! my brother did, they got his bank account number (Lloyds) and even went as far as to phone the bank up to try to change his memorable information password. Luckily Lloyds said no. So as a work phone, I can't see why anyone would even consider Android.

And you know they got the info from a Android device he has?

Soldato
I can't see why anyone would even consider Android.
Because MDM exists.

You guys seem to be under the impression companies get their handsets off the shelf and just give them out. While this may be done by some, the vast majority of med+ business use MDM which is cross platform. New gen MDM such as KNOX/Boeing stuff/BB stuff is big business and the current stuff like airwatch (who VMWare recently paid 1.5Bn USD for) does a fairly decent job too.

Caporegime
If management is key then iOS with the latest features blows everything else out of the water. Nobody has anything like the Device Enrollment Program to eliminate the need for IT to touch the devices to ensure MDM is installed, nobody else has Managed App Distribution, other platforms are still struggling to get VPN working whereas iOS has had per-app VPN for a while now. Not to mention SSO in supported apps, limiting which apps can share data with others etc.

It's a great platform for business. But it comes at a price.

Caporegime
You always could, but the devices needed to be 'supervised', and that meant connecting them to a Mac over USB to load the initial profile.

They can now also be purchased from Apple with the MDM profile locked in, so you can ship them directly to your end users and they will come out of the box already setup.

Soldato
OP
What are some of the best MDM solutions out there for an SME with ~50 employees with a potentially mixed estate of devices?

I know this is a big ask but is there anything free out there? We're a Charity you see so could do with something that doesnt cost the Earth (or has a not-for-profit license/agreement available!)

Caporegime
Meraki MDM is free and very good.

Casper is better and ~£11 per device per year for non-profits, but only manages Apple devices.

Associate
And you know they got the info from a Android device he has?

He's a programmer so knows what he's doing on has only ever gone online banking on his nexus 10, they got his username & password, the only thing that stopped them was the Memorable info password that asks for certain letters, like 2,6,10. They phoned Lloyds to try to reset it.

Caporegime
You don't get any support for free (you don't need it), and their thinking is that if you get used to their MDM that you will buy their networking kit. But you don't have to.

Associate
Meraki is great, the management software is used to manage their expensive network equipment, so they make their money through that. They have recently been bought by Cisco.

Soldato
OP
Can you automatically push out default wireless profiles etc with Meraki a la BESx? Just having a little play with it now set up on my personal device. Not got down to the nitty gritty of stuff but looks like it may be useful.

EDIT - just found the WiFi settings now actually. Not bad. Think this may be a go'er for when we switch devices. Does the Meraki client have to be installed manually on all of the devices? Or is there some magic way to deploy it? If not does that mean we have to create apple/google accounts for every user?

Last edited:
Caporegime
You'll find all these answers just by playing around with it. You can push apps to devices, but they will need an Apple ID to install them.

I tend to encourage people to use their personal Apple IDs on devices that are assigned to them, it's a good way to guarantee that they use them. The MSM Apps is optional but gives you added functionality.

Soldato
That would've worked better than a budget Android phone to be fair :D

Unfortunately we're tied in to an Orange contract and have to pick out of their brochure. At the time the minions had a budget of £150 and the Wildfire S was about the best phone we could buy until the Lumia came along and **** on it from a great height.

To be fair a budget Android phone from the Wildfire era is completely and utterly different from the budget Android phones of this era. Even the high end phones of the Wildfire era were hit and miss, let alone the budget offerings.

Now however the top end phones have stayed relatively similar for the past year or so, but the budget examples have carried on improving massively with each iteration.

Something like a Nexus 4 is sublime for the money. I would recommend a Nexus 4 or 5 whichever you can readily get for cheaper. They both work extremely quickly, have a decent enough battery life, are easy to use and are so far and away from the old budget offerings they can't even be compared.

Soldato
He's a programmer so knows what he's doing on has only ever gone online banking on his nexus 10, they got his username & password, the only thing that stopped them was the Memorable info password that asks for certain letters, like 2,6,10. They phoned Lloyds to try to reset it.

If he knew what he was doing then he would'nt of installed a rogue app if that is what happened, though i don't believe anyone that is a programmer and has access to PC's would'nt do at least some online banking on a PC.

Back
Top Bottom