1TB hard drive only showing 346MB

Associate
Okay, first and foremost, thank you overclockers for helping me decide on my first build and helping with advice, i got my comp, built it and everything is good, except 1 problem.

I have an SSD as my C:, however i also have a 1TB seagate hard drive for storage etc., however, as the title says, my computer is saying "this only has a limit of 346MB" which i know 1TB advertised might not be exact, but that seems a little too low to me as i have nearly nothing saved on it and i've already used a 3rd of the memory already. (i have 287MB free apparently)

Please ask for any information you need, i don't know if it's a mistake from where i installed it or from the software. OS windows 8.1, HD Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache.

Man of Honour
Screenshot of the drive from administrative tools->computer management->storage->disc management could be useful. (Or use windows key + r and enter diskmgmt.msc).

Associate
OP
f851c38646059efc208e564a2cd4c36b.png

Last edited:
Soldato
You need to format e drive to ntfs,that will give you the rest of the space on your drive,if it is brand new they normally need formatting.

Soldato
Right click in the blue area of drive E and delete that partition, the whole lot will then turn black, the right click in the whole black area and create a new simple volume, follow the instructions, format to NTFS, leave everything else at defaults.

ps. if you create a new volume now out of whats left now, ie the black area, it will create yet another drive, so half will be drive E and the other part would be drive F for instance, I take it you want it all as one, which is why you need to delete the existing partition first.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks for the help, i am new to all this. It wont let me delete the part that is already formatted, I dont get why part of it is already formatted :S

Associate
looks like windows has claimed some of drive e: for system files, hence why you cannot delete the partition.

usually you wouldn't see a system partition, so i'm not sure why its got a drive letter. unless you want to re-install windows i'd just format the unallocated space and ignore that 350mb partition.

Associate
OP
i gave it a drive letter when i was trying to access it, I've now removed the drive letter and formatted the remaining 900+GB and given that a letter, thanks for the help people.

I still have 930GB, which is 93% of the drive, not gonna cry over 7%.

Finally, my new computer is fully built, fully functioning and fully in use, so happy :D (Though it's so quiet, i keep having to take off my headset to check if i can hear the fans running, even then i have to strain my ears)

Back
Top Bottom