Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
I have three running 24/7. One is running XBMC (only gets rebooted/turned off for updates), one running a Logitech Media Server (has been on constantly for weeks) and one running a pi camera for surveillance (been on continuously for a week). They're designed to draw very little power, not over heat and be left on indefinitely. So I'd say they are perfectly safe to leave unattended.

Associate
silly question and hopefully one of you clever chaps will be able to answer very quickly.
my Pi is running raspbmc and hdmi into my AV amp now if im watching sky on a different inout on the amp and I switch to the PI input the screen is blank and I need to reboot the pi via my ipad for it to display a picture any ideas???

Soldato
I got my Pi a while ago and was immediately scared off. But I've finally sunk a few hours into it and I'm beginning to get the hang of using Raspbian (i.e. customised the 'taskbar' and 'quick launch', desktop background) and have got some commands remembered and can do some things without instruction now :) I've messed around on Freedoom, Quake 3 and freeciv. I feel like I've scratched the surface of a strange new world!

What browser do you guys use? Midori is pretty slow, all I want is bookmarks and cookies (permanently logged into OCUK)

Soldato
Right. After getting OpenElec up and running and thanking my lucky stars everything worked straight off the bat (thanks bledd!), unfortunately it appears my wifi dongle isn't playing ball. It's an Edimax EW-7811Un, and according to a spot of googling it appears to put itself in some sort of power-saving mode after a while. I see a connection, RSS feeds etc when I boot up, but after about 5mins it dies.

I've found this page which looked like a winner: http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspb...pping-connection-mainly-edimax-ew-7811un.html

But after a spot more searching it seems that in OpenElec all those folders are locked down and read-only. So I can't do it. What else can I do? :confused:

Soldato
http://bleddyn.co.uk/xbmc/

Has a quick readme in there, says what to do and has links to that guy's Youtube videos.

My advice for a Pi.

Buy a ~2gb Sandisk SD card
Buy a Transcend JetFlash 700 8gb USB3
Buy the official power cable £3.54 delivered
Use ethernet

I also went for the Sweetbox II case, with heatsinks. Purely for the looks :D
http://www.graspinghand.com/product/sweetbox_heatsinks
Bought a pi from eBay power cable, case, hdmi cable, and a 4gb Kingston SD card for £25 bargain. Just bought a edimax wireless dongle and a jetflash 700 usb stick will be following most info here in setting it up. I look forward to receiving my new little toy. Hoping to get openelec to boot from usb and the wifi working.

Soldato
Does anyone leave there Pi on 247 and isit safe to? also Openelec or Raspbmc?

Why would you do that :confused:
Even if it's only drawing 5W it's still pointless and a complete waste of energy if it's not being used!!
My raspBMC takes less than 10seconds to boot so I save energy and MTBF and switch it off when not in use :D

Soldato
Why would you do that :confused:
Even if it's only drawing 5W it's still pointless and a complete waste of energy if it's not being used!!
My raspBMC takes less than 10seconds to boot so I save energy and MTBF and switch it off when not in use :D

Because if it only costs around £5 to leave on for a full year why not? The pi doesn't have a remote where I can turn it on and off so its handy to just be able to turn the tv on and have it all booted and ready for when I actually do use it. I heard it has a better life span and was designed to keep it on rather than turning on and off all the time too.

Don
Bought a pi from eBay power cable, case, hdmi cable, and a 4gb Kingston SD card for £25 bargain. Just bought a edimax wireless dongle and a jetflash 700 usb stick will be following most info here in setting it up. I look forward to receiving my new little toy. Hoping to get openelec to boot from usb and the wifi working.

I wouldn't recommend using wireless. Lots of people report problems with 1080p streaming over them..

Soldato
I've tried wireless on an RPi and had issues with HD content freezing, I ran an ethernet cable in the end. I was admittedly using a cheap WiFi dongle from eBay however it does perform well on a normal PC.

Associate
Ethernet is the only way if you want to stream 1080p IMO

Mine is plugged into the USB port on my TV so when I turn the TV on, the PI also turns on :) and off of course

Back
Top Bottom