Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Associate
Anybody looking for something a bit more relaxing? I went to the mountains in southest spain for a 100km trek, great fun and not expensive. You can get local GPS routes from Trekking in Spain and package deals for accommodation, no camping allowed so it has to be B and B, hostels or hotels.
Trekking_holidays_in_Spain_rock_arches.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
anybody done the yorkshire 3 peaks and can give advise to a total newbie?

im planning to do this in just a few weeks, totally oblivious to what im expecting.
i beleive ive got all the gear, just wanting to know if anyone has any useful guides or decent maps to help plan this abit better?

Caporegime
Anyone recommend the best views, interesting rock formations and anything else in dartmoor?

Possibly too late now but...

The area around burrator is nice, including Down tor and Sheeps tor. Just to the east of Down Tor is a big stone circle and row which is nice, especially for long night shots. The valley to the north of Down Tor is really boggy but the one to the south is a nice change to the bleakness, lots of trees and bushes. You also have Sharpitor near there as well.

On the eastern side I have less knowledge about but just to the east of princetown is whistnans wood and another tor which are very nice. Never been to the north butit looks good on Google earth... South, between ivy bridge and princetown is a bit boring, not bad but lots of rolling grassland and not many sights as such. Great to get away from it all though, you'll see very few people around, even on a nice summer's weekend.

I did a long weekend there last August. Started in Ivybridge and walked up to Red lake and on to Princetown before turning back south to Down Tor and burrator. I also spent a lot of time around Burrator when I lived in Plymouth, mostly because it was within easy cycling distance and I could get back after a night shoot!

Have a look at legendaryDartmoor.co.uk , it has a load of information on the history but also the stone rows and burrows etc, along with many of the other sights.

Man of Honour
Ta, not to late, I'm starting in ivy bridge. Two nights three days. Will have a look.
I wish ,aping apps where better. If I had some money I would commission one. Just haven't found anything decent interactive for planning.

Soldato
Weather finally looks good tomorrow, so for the 3rd or 4th time I am going to try and get out to Ben Macdui tomorrow on skis. Every other time I have tried it, it has been white out conditions with 60-70mph winds! looking forward to a nice long tour. :)

Associate
anybody done the yorkshire 3 peaks and can give advise to a total newbie?

im planning to do this in just a few weeks, totally oblivious to what im expecting.
i beleive ive got all the gear, just wanting to know if anyone has any useful guides or decent maps to help plan this abit better?

This is probably too late now but I did this last year. It was a very good walk and even though the peaks are not the highest I have ever climbed, doing 3 in a row is a challenge. NB, the last peak, Ingleborough is the most brutal with those cut in stairs. After doing 2 peaks already and 16+ miles, it just shatters you.

However, I loved every minute of it and would do it again in a few years, so enjoy!...... or hope you enjoyed it!

Caporegime
So probably not the best forum but I thought there may be some people with some input on here... :p

Just came back from Oz and was really disappointed by the walking opportunities available there, what it reminded me though is I (and the GF) want to do a longish hike somewhere interesting either over Christmas or next Easter.

I'm thinking a nice hike in the jungle somewhere for about 4-8 days (hiking). Ideally it would be somewhere off the beaten track where we could hike ourselves and rarely meet others but I'm starting to think hiring a guide wouldn't be a bad idea, if only for wildlife spotting expertise. If we went with a guide it would have to be either just us or a small group (max 8) and reasonably priced (I.e. local price not £1k for 8 days...). Does anyone have any recommendations for anything like this? Ideally it would also be reasonably close to the UK, but that means Central Africa, most of which probably isn't a good option.

So basically 4-8 days jungle hiking in quiet area either without or with a locally organised guide, preferably within closeish flying distance. Alternatively something in Indonesia through Orangutan or other pristine rainforest areas next easter. That's an option for next major trip! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought I'd give this thread a bump as I'm off to Chamonix in the Alps for 12 days tomorrow to do some climbing. I've never been to the Alps before so am really looking forward to it.. I can't wait to see the sheer scale of the mountains!

Kit mostly sorted..
M6AZ32al.jpg
:D

Caporegime
Right, I'm going stir crazy living in London and not having any greenery or peace and quiet, especially this weekend! Any suggestions for a day trip or weekend trip away I can get some peace and quiet/nature and walking?

The closest I can see is Dartmoor, a bit far for a day trip!

Soldato
Me and the wife will be doing the Annapurna circuit in september. We have a blog which we will be keeping updated:

http://nicandrob.wordpress.com/

Cannot wait, it will be great.

Should be pretty darn amazing - one of the guys we did the High Inca Trail with sung the Annapurna Circuits praises as one to be done!

Will keep an eye on your blog to see how you get on! I struggled a little at around 5,000m in Peru but after that high point I was fine - Cusco itself is 3,500m which is a decent altitude on its own.

Would be tempted to do some trekking in Nepal or similar altitudes but obviously need to be wary of acclimatising correctly.

Man of Honour
What's the weather generally like at end of march on Snowdon? Is it likely to still be covered in snow and require crampons?

Soldato
Looks like a stunning bit of trekking you lot did and yes you were very lucky to complete it before the cyclone hit!

Will be something to keep in mind for a future trip possibly but I'd need to find another gf who likes trekking and or a group of people to go with really!

Associate
Oh wow just read that blog (week 3) amazing, book it all yourself, or through a company. Looks stunning.

We booked it all ourselves, you go over as a FIT (free Individual Trekker). You have to sort out the permits and other stuff. This might all chance since the cyclone though. Even though most of the people that died were in organised groups with guides. But its all just luck of the situation.

Happy to answer any questions.

Back
Top Bottom