Thief

Associate
Just my opinions on it. Not a Thief fan or have I played previous games in the series though heard of them.

Get this in early. The ending in this game is as awful or even worse then Mass Effect 3 pre DLC if its the only one!

Overall some elements of the game were okay though the appeal diminishes so quickly by the final stretch I really couldn't care less about the stealth or sneakiness causing me to just get frustrated and get myself gang banged by guards. The story wasn't engaging enough and even with an SSD the load times between areas of the city felt way too long for the size of area and completely pointless for a game in 2014. But I guess we can blame the segmentation on the consoles for that.

Forced my self to rushing the final quarter as I just wanted to get to the end. Hoping maybe it would spark some interest back into it. Too bad once you get there the ending is nothing short of poor.

I suspect I either got a bad ending and hope there is better endings but a quick search on goggle didn't inspire any confidence that there is!

Soldato
Don't think it has to be the C: drive, just your Windows drive.

Honestly, anyone who doesn't install Thief on their primary HD will have audio issues, cut-scene problems.

I have windows installed on my ssd and all games, steam, uplay and origin on a hdd storage drive. Can`t say I have encountered any problems, thus far.

Soldato
STUTTER FIX!!!

Excuse the caps, but the stutter has been driving me absolutely mad on this game, so much so I've not played past the first 5 minutes, just testing over and over.

FINALLY FIXED IT :D

For me and my system, it was entirely due to the 'EXCLUSIVE FULLSCREEN' setting. For me this has to be OFF. With this setting OFF it now runs smooth as silk with none of the frame skips/ weird judder that was going on.

I'd literally tried everything, all the stupid ini tweaks, running the 32 bit version, SLI on, off, changing max frame ahead etc etc. It was ALL down to this one stupid setting, I can't believe it!

I can now finally play this, and fully maxed out, which you would hope having SLI 780Tis.

Last points - one weird thing is the benchmark. This only runs at 40 or so fps at the start and then goes up to 60, and no settings seem to change that.

And....it uses 2.9GB VRam at some points on my Ti's. This is basically maxing them out. Is this just a weird unreal engine quirk?

Last edited:
Associate
I have windows installed on my ssd and all games, steam, uplay and origin on a hdd storage drive. Can`t say I have encountered any problems, thus far.

You seem to be a lucky one. A lot of the official reviews complain about missing audio in cut-scenes. There are lots of threads of people all over the internet going crazy about this audio bug. Perhaps it's more complicated than not just having the game on a Windows drive, but it worked for me.

I have been trying to get on the Eidos Thief Tech Thread, but it seems as if they have stopped new people registering at the moment.

Soldato
And....it uses 2.9GB VRam at some points on my Ti's. This is basically maxing them out. Is this just a weird unreal engine quirk?

Both Bioshock Infinite and Thief does the same on my Ti's. It's just caching a lot of data it doesn't need at that time until it needs more space.

I'm on chapter 6. I'm still not really sold on this game. It really is a bit too linear, even down to how much it gives you to avoid detection and deal with guards.

Last edited:
Soldato
The following is taken from the tweak guide I linked to previously.

Turning both contact hardening shadows and screen-space reflections off MIGHT also have a positive effect on framerate, once again with little to no loss in image quality. See the explanation below for more details, courtesy of Targa:

"The PC version is not well-optimized and some higher-level shader functions only serve to kill your framerate. The number one thing you can do to speed up the game is to ~disable~ contact hard shadows. They actually don't have a use in the game (the parameters necessary for the feature aren't set on any given light sources) yet it almost quadruples the GPU power and doubles the vRAM needed to render all real-time shadows.

The other useless feature is screen-space reflections. Close to all reflective surfaces in the game aren't given the SSR shader option. The ones that do are puddles, but usually with non-SSR puddles right next to them. This makes SSR look out of place, along with barely being used and in my opinion never being used in an artistically appealing manner. The hit when enabling this is that those surfaces ALWAYS RENDER even when occluded (double-rendering some things in the process!). Also to facilitate the screen-space cloning, there is a permanent reflective plane below the map that always renders the SSR shader. This means the rarely-used and costly reflections are always eating up graphics resources. Killing this option may in some cases ~double~ your framerate (notably if you are close to your vRAM limit without it enabled)."

Associate
Re installed Deadly Shadows

All this Thiefing made me re install Deadly shadows - I added the texture packs and widescreen fix and it looks almost as good as the latest one!

Why does Thief 2014 have modern "f" ing and jeffing in the latest game?
What happened to calling people Taffers?

Why do developers always spoil games as they get updated?

Soldato
I think we should start adding polls to these threads with the following options:

Please Score the game:

90%+
80-89%
70-79%
60-69%
<60%

That way we can all vote and it's simple to see what everyone things of the game :)

Soldato
It made a big difference on mine when I ran the Star Swarm thingy, 29fps up to 41fps average. Just be interesting to see how it translates in Thief.

I think that is because Star Swarm was made from the ground up to use Mantle and purposefully not optimised to use DX, from what I hear people are getting fantastic performance in Thief, I hope it doesn't do to it what it did to Battlefield 4.

Soldato
I've reached the asylum part & it's quite atmospheric & creepy & makes a change from the earlier parts of the game, how do I get back to the Queen of beggars to upgrade Focus? The map with this game is utterly & totally useless because it shows the layout of the city with no refs whatsoever to any of the places so I have no idea where the graveyard is to find the Queen:mad:

Back
Top Bottom