• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Strange problem with my MSI 280X

Soldato
I recently bought an MSI R9 280X OC and I have exhausted all options in trying to figure out why it won't output a proper signal to my TV. I need some advice! This will be quite a long post but any help would be greatly appreciated.

First a summary of the problem and various configurations I've tested:

1) With the GPU installed in my PC (specs at the end of this post) and connected to my Panasonic TV (TX-L47E5B), the first time I turn on the PC I see this on the screen: http://imgur.com/cJMm1qo and after resetting there is only a blank screen. In both cases, the TV detects and input and changes to 50 Hz mode.

2) Using a different screen (such as a Dell monitor), the GPU outputs as normal and my PC works properly. GPU-Z detects the GPU as normal and I can play games. Similarly, using my Panasonic TV but changing the graphics card works just fine. I tried an ATI FirePro V4800 and an ATI 3870. The motherboard outputs also work with my TV.

3) I have tried a HDMI cable, DVI to HDMI cable, VGA cable via DVI to VGA adapter, and HDMI cable with HDMI to DP adapter. The DVI and HDMI outputs have been tested to work with other monitors. All of the cables I tried also work with other components.

4) I tested the following components from my PC inside an entirely different PC: GPU, PSU, RAM, SSD, and Motherboard. They all work properly.

5) The MSI graphics card has a BIOS switch but this didn't help.

It really doesn't make sense to me but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Specs of my PC:

CPU - Intel 3570K
Mobo - Asus P8Z77-LV
GPU - MSI 280X OC Gamer Edition
RAM - 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz 1.5V
SSD - Crucial M500 480GB
HDD - Samsung F3 1TB
Sound - Asus Xonar D1
PSU - BeQuiet Pure Power 630W

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
That almost look like a faulty GPU but a little perplexed that it works on another monitor.

On the second monitor you tested - the Dell, does this run at the same res as the Panasonic TV?

Soldato
OP
The Dell monitor has a resolution of 1680 x 1050 so that would be the only difference. I do have access to another monitor which has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 so I will test that tomorrow.

To be clear, I can't even see the boot-up screen or the BIOS. I can't tell if the PC is booting into Windows; it doesn't automatically reset but at the same time the power button doesn't behave like it would in Windows - I have to hold it down for a few seconds to turn off the PC. I've also tried all configurations with and without the latest AMD graphics driver installed.

Just tried the DP output via adapter to a HDMI cable but that made no difference.

Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried plugging a monitor and the tv in at the same time to see if it will work as a second screen?
I had a weird problem with my msi 280x when I first got it in that I could see windows once it started but no bios/post screens. I finally got it to work by updating my m/b bios a second time.

Soldato
OP
Right, I brought home another 1080p monitor. I connected that to the graphics card via HDMI and booted up, and everything was fine as expected.
I opened up Catalyst Control Center then connected the Panasonic TV with a DVI to HDMI cable. It was immediately recognised as a second monitor, and I could drag the window onto the TV screen.
So then the final test was to remove the first monitor, leaving only the TV connected. This worked so now I have a useable PC! Although the problem is not entirely solved as I still see garbled colours when booting up the PC. This only goes away once Windows starts up and the graphics driver is loaded. If I want to access the BIOS, I need to disconnected the graphics card.

Edit: I've noticed that the TV flickers once every few minutes when the PC is connected. This only happens with the MSI graphics card, but not when it's connected to other screens!

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like a faulty gpu to me.. I had the same rainbow effect on my 7990 that went back and was faulty. I would personally rma it and get a replacement.

Associate
I find it strange how Tesco list this TV yet I can't find any info from Panasonic themselves.

Of course it's listed as Full-HD and a 1920x1080 (1080p) native resolution, but could there be a 50Hz/60Hz issue, especially as the OP can force it to work?

Soldato
OP
I think I'm getting somewhere now. I connected my Iiyama monitor to the graphics card again and the screen flickered like I described before. I use this monitor every day at work and I've never seen it flicker. I'll have to send back the graphics card for RMA.

Back
Top Bottom