Why can't people just ignore and move on? ['tramp' breast feeding mother]

Caporegime
Sorry, can I just clarify we are not heading into some really weird conspiracy theorists fantasy world? "...these people are well experienced at what they do..."

You seriously think a woman who is breastfeeding reads up on exposure laws and then makes sure she can show off her breasts but making sure she stays within the law.....seriously?

I'm talking specifically about these people with personality disorders, obviously not people who breastfeed in general...

In both scenarios I believe the following to be true:

Person A doing something entirely harmless
Person B takes a photo of said action and decides to apply an uninformed, opinion on it
Person B publishes photo on the internet.

Just as people wouldnt want to be branded a Paedo, nor do I imagine she wanted to be branded a tramp.

I'm sure she doesn't, though she does look like one by the way she's sitting on the street eating a sandwich while dressed in that horrid outfit. But that doesn't amount to defamation or breach of privacy.

Last edited:

Bar

Bar

Soldato
I'm talking specifically about these people with personality disorders, obviously not people who breastfeed in general...

So now you have decided she has a personality disorder?

Just how judgemental are you?

You know nothing about her, yet are criticising her actions and now you have deemed her to not only read up on exposure laws, but also that she has a personality disorder. Do you actually realise how ludicrous you are sounding?

It does amount to defamation, someone is making a statement about another person and published it. Case law has decided that internet discussions (including this forum) are counted as a published form i.e the same as a newspaper or a tv broadcast. In fact the internet is worse as it is more easily accessed around the world.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So now you have decided she has a personality disorder?

Just how judgemental are you?

You know nothing about her, yet are criticising her actions and now you have deemed her to not only read up on exposure laws, but also that she has a personality disorder. Do you actually realise how ludicrous you are sounding?

No I don't know her, hence my opinions about her motivations are based on the standard balance of probabilities, ie "how does a typical reasonable person act?".

It does amount to defamation, someone is making a statement about another person and published it. Case law has decided that internet discussions (including this forum) are counted as a published form i.e the same as a newspaper or a tv broadcast. In fact the internet is worse as it is more easily accessed around the world.
If you want to talk about the law I suggest you read the defamation act http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2013/26/contents/enacted

which makes it quite clear this is not defamation!

Soldato
Remember, most women who breastfeed, will feed their child when they are hungry, and if that happens to be in the middle of the street then so be it - would you rather she made her child wait until she was somewhere that was deemed more appropriate?

Would they do the same when the child was a little older and needed the toilet? Just whip their pants down in the middle of a street and let them do it?

BTW, I aint against breastfeeding but your point above isn't very well made.

Also - irrelevant of the breast feeding, the person does indeed look like a tramp in that picture. Can anyone honestly say that, from the picture shown, she is much different from seeing a beggar on the street holding their kid, having their belongings in bags and begging for money on a doorstep?

Permabanned
Wow usual ocuk attitude displayed here, so what if she breast fed in public, it's best for baby! Of course she has a right to whip up a campaign against whoever posted the photo, they are clearly a narrow minded fool, like some posters here!

You can't pick and choose when your baby needs feeding, it will just scream and scream until it gets fed, that's how they work! If anyone has had children they will know the excruciating pain a newborns cry is

Bar

Bar

Soldato
No I don't know her, hence my opinions about her motivations are based on the standard balance of probabilities, ie "how does a typical reasonable person act?".

If you want to talk about the law I suggest you read the defamation act http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2013/26/contents/enacted

which makes it quite clear this is not defamation!

But do you not realise that you are not reacting in a way that a typical reasonable person? You have judged her not only to have a personality disorder, but also someone who reads up on exposure laws to ensure she can breastfeed safely in public - do you honestly believe that is the way a typical reasonable person would act?

Your countenance on the defamation point rests on the challenge of serious harm, however this tightening of the law only came in early 2014, so if the photo was taken last year I understand the serious harm was not as stringent.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Would they do the same when the child was a little older and needed the toilet? Just whip their pants down in the middle of a street and let them do it?

BTW, I aint against breastfeeding but your point above isn't very well made.

Also - irrelevant of the breast feeding, the person does indeed look like a tramp in that picture. Can anyone honestly say that, from the picture shown, she is much different from seeing a beggar on the street holding their kid, having their belongings in bags and begging for money on a doorstep?

Granted I should have substituted the word "child" for "baby" but I do believe you are being slightly pedantic and missing the general point. You will also know, if you have kids, that any journey of a reasonable length will contain toilet stops along the way, not always is it possible to go to an actual toilet.

I do wonder why men believe that women with kids should still look and behave the same as she did prior to having a child. Do you realise how draining and exhausting raising a child is, especially if you are breastfeeding it? 24 hours a day the baby will feed often with only a couple of hours between feeds. I would much rather a woman look slightly dishevelled and be breastfeeding, than to see a woman looking immaculate and bottle feeding.

Caporegime
But do you not realise that you are not reacting in a way that a typical reasonable person? You have judged her not only to have a personality disorder, but also someone who reads up on exposure laws to ensure she can breastfeed safely in public - do you honestly believe that is the way a typical reasonable person would act?

I don't recall saying I am reasonable person. ;)

I'm simply suggesting these people are attention seekers/trolls, that is not conspiratorial and is something you see every day on internet forums, they act in a way as to provoke a reaction while attempting to appear righteous and innocent.

Is that really such an outlandish accusation?

Your countenance on the defamation point rests on the challenge of serious harm, however this tightening of the law only came in early 2014, so if the photo was taken last year I understand the serious harm was not as stringent.

It's fair opinion also, making a mean comment is not defamation and it never will be. Can you find any case law where someone has been sued for calling someone a tramp?

Bar

Bar

Soldato
I don't recall saying I am reasonable person. ;)

I'm simply suggesting these people are attention seekers/trolls, that is not conspiratorial and is something you see every day on internet forums, they act in a way as to provoke a reaction while attempting to appear righteous and innocent.

Is that really such an outlandish accusation?

Certainly am seeing attention seekers/trolls...

I dont believe she is attention seeking/troll as she is attempting to raise a genuine issue, for what is as normal as walking down the street.

It's fair opinion also, making a mean comment is not defamation and it never will be. Can you find any case law where someone has been sued for calling someone a tramp?

The term does not constitute whether something is defamation or not. The result of the published article and the determination as to whether it was true or not determines if it was defamation.

I could call someone a racist bigot and depending upon the validity of that statement I could either win or lose a defamation case.

Ultimately you have lost a great deal of credibility as I referred to earlier. When you accused the woman of looking up exposure laws and having a personality disorder.

Soldato
OP
It amazes me how a woman who is fully dressed and doing the most natural thing in the world can be called a tramp

This isn't really a good argument.

Urinating and defecating are far more natural than breast feeding (given nearly all animals do it compared to just female mammals) yet anyone who took a slash or a dump on the street would rightly be called worse names than a 'tramp'.

Not putting down breast feeding, just making the point that you can't use the "it's natural" argument unless you are prepared to accept that other things which are also very natural should be put on public display too.

Soldato
Most of these women breast feeding in public are just trying to feed their babies, but I realise that as this is a mainly male dominated forum there won't be any point in trying to have a serious debate.

Anyone offended or outraged by a woman feeding her baby needs to get a grip.

Totally agree. But don't blame males, there are thickos in both genders.

Back
Top Bottom