Pic Of The Day 16th December

Soldato
Today I thought I would bring you one that is quite an old picture but is very eye-catching and pleasureable to look at.

bhspin_xmm.jpg

Spinning Black Holes and MCG-6-30-15

What makes the core of galaxy MCG-6-30-15 so bright? Some astronomers believe the answer is a massive spinning black hole. If so, this would be the first observational indication that it is possible to make a black hole act like a battery -- and tap into its rotational energy. MCG-6-30-15 is a distant galaxy that has recently been observed with the orbiting XMM-Newton satellite in X-ray light. These observations show the galaxy's nucleus not only to be very bright but also to show evidence that much of the light is climbing out of a deep gravitational well. A spinning black hole could explain both effects. A strong magnetic field could be the mediator transferring rotational energy from the black hole to the surrounding gas. Pictured above is an artist's illustration of a black hole surrounded by an accretion disk. For clarity, the illustration does not include distorting gravitational lens effects.

IMO the (slightly) larger version of this picture, here,makes a very nice desktop piccy for those running at 800x600.
However it is, unfortunately, slightly grainy at higher resolutions.

And here you can find a 700 KB QuickTime animation of an artist's concept of a spinning black hole.

Previous Pic Of The Day posts

15th Dec 02
14th Dec 02
23rd Nov 02
22nd Nov 02
21st Nov 02
20th Nov 02
19th Nov 02

As you may notice I have abbreviated the list for previous posts, however since they all contain links to previous posts you should have no trouble finding any of your earlier favourites;)

Just thought I'd better post this now in case I get accused of slacking:p

Soldato
OP
Thankee joo for your comments kind s'ah's:)

I was beginning to wonder if it was worth posting the pic's as there does not seem to be much response.

Shall I continue or not:confused:

Soldato
OP
Cheers chaps, like I said I was just wondering if it was worth doing or not.

Even just a few positive feedbacks makes it worthwhile though so I guess I'll carry on with it.

I'll try and make it about 9pm each day.

Mark.

Soldato
Great pic there. Definitely do post these threads, well worth the effort!
Although I know ultimately it makes sense, thinking of a black hole as a spinning sphere confuses me a bit. I always thought of it as a big static disk like a rip in space, not really sure why.
I mean what's going to be at the centre core of a black hole, something like a tornados eye-of-the-storm.... or is there a (in conventional terms) a centre at all?

Soldato
OP
Cheers chaps, was just on a bit of a downer this morning and was thinking like what's the point etc....

Your comments have lifted me quite a bit, if doing something simple like posting pic of the day can please you lot then I feel like I'm doing something right.

Got a nice one lined up for tonight for you all, so as they say, watch this space:)

erm... it won't be this space though will it?

I mean if it's a new thread???

whatever:D

Soldato
Originally posted by manicmarkjcj
Thankee joo for your comments kind s'ah's:)

I was beginning to wonder if it was worth posting the pic's as there does not seem to be much response.

Shall I continue or not:confused:

YES! The lack of response doesn't mean anything, unless people complain, which they don't. Needless to say your effort doesn't go unrecognised. The best way to show gratitude is to nominate 5 stars. No need for words.

Genie.gif

"5 Stars,
O Great Master"

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by MindYerBeak
YES! The lack of response doesn't mean anything, unless people complain, which they don't. Needless to say your effort doesn't go unrecognised. The best way to show gratitude is to nominate 5 stars. No need for words.

Thank you s'ah.

As I said I was just feeling a little melancholy this morning and venting my own frustration more than anything else.
I must apologise to you all if it seemed like I was whinging, sorry.

Soldato
No need to apologise, good sir, I've felt the same way at times when no responses are forthcoming. That doesn't mean to say your posts go unnoticed, far from it. I think the stars on this post indicate their popularity beyond reproach. In my opinion they're a very welcome addition to the SETI forum, a first for us which example others soon will follow. Well done, sah.

Back
Top Bottom