Free cavity and wall insulation - Scam or real?

Associate
I had a knock at the door from a 'local energy assessor' advising that I'm potentially eligible for free wall and cavity insulation, which is free.

Paid by the generous local council...and fulfilled by Mark Group. I haven't heard of the company, but looking online they do seem reputable.

My main concern is that it was a cold caller and knock at the door, they didn't have any flyers or documents to read over either, so wasn't much help in that regard. (They said they had ran out :p).

Another thing which rang alarm bells is that they said I might also be eligible for a new boiler, again free.

The person I noticed had unison branding items, looking online though this simply seems to be a union? I'm not sure who he would be working for specifically - Council? Mark Group? Third Party commission based company?

They've given me a contact number so I can call them tomorrow. I was going to give the council a call in the morning to double check the details also.

Is it worth taking them up on their offer and has anyone else experienced similar - especially in the Stoke area?

Caporegime
Council down here paid for us to have it done, free of charge.

We probably shouldn't have had it done, as our house has just one layer of block and then timber framing.

But anyhow, they drilled a few holes in the wall and squirted their foam stuff in.

Associate
Rightly, or wrongly, I never trust cold-callers. I've had a few offering similar services and always politely decline.

I then called a few of the big, household names and got assessed for loft insulation (we don't have cavities). BG are doing it at the beginning of April. We're not on any benefits and didn't think we'd qualify, but are getting it for free. The BG guy said the funding/scheme is changing in April 2014, so we had to make sure it was booked in after that date. Not sure how true that was, or he just had targets to meet at that time.

My wife asked about a new boiler and his response was, 'Is your current boiler working? If so, you don't qualify.' :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
The guy was in our house for over an hour. Did a full energy assessment. Took measurements of rooms, went into loft, etc. Asked us about our energy usage - what temp we hav our thermostat set to morning/evening/overnight, etc. Quite thorough.

Soldato
It can cause damp problems. It is more in the interest of the contractor than yourselves, they will get paid if they do the job, but it may not be something you really need.

Soldato
Lots of schemes on the go for free cavity and loft insulation. I had free loft insulation last autumn just for living in a qualifying post code.

But best to enquire yourself with a reputable company rather than accepting an offer from a door knocker.

Back
Top Bottom