Poll: Poll: Do you play the National Lottery?

Do you play the National Lottery?

• Yes - The National Lottery

Votes: 58 13.5%
  • Yes - Euro Millions

Votes: 57 13.3%
  • Yes - Both of the above

Votes: 71 16.6%
  • No - I don't play any

Votes: 228 53.1%
  • Other - I play another lottery Like the Pancake Lottery

Votes: 15 3.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
It's just another tax and gives hope to the poor ;)

Also how many of you get excited when checking your tickets? No? no one? OK then.

YOU'VE GOT TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT! ** Please don't try disguising swear words ***

Last edited:
Associate
Infrequently. Mostly when it's a roll over. Like the euro recently. The problem is, they play on the whole 'You've got to be in it to win it!' and when there's £100 million up for grabs, I fall for it.

Soldato
I used to dabble on the regular lottery but since they essentially halved my chance or winning (and it was hard enough as it is!) by upping the price I don't play out of general principal!!

gits...

Permabanned
I wonder how many people play random numbers compared to a strict set?

Anyone feel one is better than the other?

I only play random / lucky dip now. I've gotten wins more regularly (though small) playing lucky dip than I have when I used to play a specific set.

Having said that, I haven't won anything at all this weekend.

Soldato
Also play infrequently when big jackpot if I can be bothered but yes statistically it's a waste of time but I get suckered by wanting the freedom that an excessively large amount of money could bring.

Interesting factoid about number of balls in the draw and odds. The Irish lotto when it first started was a 6 ball draw from 36 possible balls. Top prize at the time was £250,000. Statistically there are almost 2 million combinations of 6 balls from 36 numbers which means that if the jackpot rolled over enough say 4-5 weeks then it would be possible to buy every combination and be guaranteed a return. This is because the ticket price at the time was 50p a line

Some Polish guy had this figured out and was ready waiting for the jackpot to reach the relevant size which it did at some point . He had assembled a team of people who sent into action and they began buying tickets in the thousands. This flagged up in the national lottery office computers as some shops that normally did no more than a few pounds worth of business were suddenly selling thousands and they tried to stop it (not sure how - read link for more info )

Anyway lo and behold they bought maybe 80% of the possible combinations by the time the day had rolled around and had managed to get the 6 numbers in amongst them. They just hadn't banked on two other people winning it as well so they had to split the jackpot. But once they collected all their match 5,4,3 tickets they came out £300,000 on top.

Then the Irish lotto added 3 more balls and that opportunity never happened again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Lotto

goto 'History of Lotto' for detail

Soldato
True story - 5 years ago my wife and I won £1200 on the lottery with 5 numbers, If we didn't change one of our numbers (old door number to new one) we'd have joined the 4 lucky winners that week who won 4 million each :(

We've stopped playing since the price rise has we haven't won anything since and £2 a line is a more noticeable deduction!

Back
Top Bottom